5:2 diet Type1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always looking to try something different and currently would like to shift a few pounds post xmas.
I've never tried any sort of a fasting diet and as a type 1 appreciate it would take a great deal of extra care.
Was wondering if any fellow T1's have undertaken such a dietary regime and if so have any tips or words of wisdom or caution they could pass on. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tony.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried it last year out of despiration to loose some weight. You will need to be careful. I was having hypos later in the evening and overnight following the low calorie day. I found that I could not keep to such low calorie day without a boost of carb (a slice of toast without fast acting) before bed to stay safe. I also found that I was more likely to hypo the next day, I suspect due to glycogen store being depleted. Theoretically dropping insulin doses should have counteracted these hypos. But my ratios for fast acting/carb ration also reduced on starvation days and the day following and it was difficult to keep adjusting the basal. It made BG unstable and difficult to manage. I did loose some weight in the first month, but the weight loss slowed to near stagnant, so it was just not worth the effort

pw1976

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Always looking to try something different and currently would like to shift a few pounds post xmas.
I've never tried any sort of a fasting diet and as a type 1 appreciate it would take a great deal of extra care.
Was wondering if any fellow T1's have undertaken such a dietary regime and if so have any tips or words of wisdom or caution they could pass on. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tony.

Hi - I am T1 and do the 5:2 regularly. Since I started I have lost about 10kg to take me to 75kg. I am now in maintenance mode doing 6:1 most weeks and stepping up to 5:2 after holidays etc.

I wouldn't recommend doing it without a CGM because the impact is sometimes surprising, especially to start with. I have got into the way of it now. I don't adjust my basel dose at all. I take very little fast acting insulin at all maybe 2-4 units all day because the food I do eat is almost zero carbs. I think it really works and I always feel GREAT on the day after a fast.

One note on motivation: the first couple of weeks are really tough but then it gets much much easier. I hate diets in generally but this one is really easy and you can eat normally most days.

The fast diet webpage is a good resource and I would recommend the book too.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pw1976 Thanks for the reply. I'm now 3 weeks into this 5:2 diet and I have to admit I'm really enjoying it.
Not on CGM which has made fasting days interesting regarding BS checking, but I like a challenge.
Haven't found the fasting a problem which has surprised me to be honest, really was expecting to struggle.
One thing that has been a real surprise is how the diet has affected my carb ratios. I've spent the last 9 mths at 2:1 ratio but within a week of starting the diet I'm back at 1:1.
Also the general feeling of running my body into reserve mode twice a week feels really good.
Definitely worth the time and effort even for T1 diabetics.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I tried it last year out of despiration to loose some weight. You will need to be careful. I was having hypos later in the evening and overnight following the low calorie day. I found that I could not keep to such low calorie day without a boost of carb (a slice of toast without fast acting) before bed to stay safe. I also found that I was more likely to hypo the next day, I suspect due to glycogen store being depleted. Theoretically dropping insulin doses should have counteracted these hypos. But my ratios for fast acting/carb ration also reduced on starvation days and the day following and it was difficult to keep adjusting the basal. It made BG unstable and difficult to manage. I did loose some weight in the first month, but the weight loss slowed to near stagnant, so it was just not worth the effort
Same for me :-(

Reactions: Flakey Bake