University project: Diabetic combi pen evaluation

ross_101

Hi,
For my major university design project I designed an all in one diabetic combi pen. Having designed and made it I am now in the process of doing an evaluation so would greatly appreciate your help.
The Combi pen is primarily aimed at younger people with the aim of providing a small and discreet operation for people who want to take it with them on days out, to the pub or club etc, without having to take to so many different pieces of equipment with them. (The idea came from me personally always finding this an issue)
Features:
Finger pricker with adjustable depth
Blood meter with single button usage, storage for up to 100 results and back lit screen.
compact insulin pen
Blood strip storage
Injection light (for use in dark environments)
2 way orientated screen

Below are some CAD images along with my visual prototype:

This image shows the combi pen. The screen is split, with one being used for the insulin amount and the other for the blood meter as you hold it in separate orientations. The top button on the right releases the insulin plunger and the lower one controls the blood meter.

The image is of the back and the rear side of the internals (Just to show that it is a feasible product):

This image shows some of the pens features:

This is an image of one of the prototypes I have made, to give you a sense of scale:
43919109.jpg

Basically I would like to get feedback from other diabetics to help me evaluate the product.

Any constructive criticism good or bad on any of the following topics would help me greatly:

The idea?
The design?
How useful is it?
Does it solve the problem of carrying too many things?
Are there things you don't like?
Are there things you like?
What else would like to see or what would you change?

You could simply give each section marks out of 10 if that's easier.

Again thanks for any replies, it really helps.

Ross

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hi Ross,
Wow I think this is a superb idea!! It really does everything?????? really apart from the colour (i am such a girl!!! :roll: :lol: ) i think you'r uni project is onto a winner lemme know how it goes????!!
amanda

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ross - I am T2 and not an insulin user but I think your product is fantastic! 8) - I agree with Amanda about the colour - needs to be either more discreet or more funky!

ross_101 said:

Could you add something like a little pocket/compartment for some sort of fast acting glucose?

I wish the very best of luck with your project - I really think you have something there! - It's like the swiss army knife of meters :lol:

ross_101

Hi,

thanks for your comments. i know the colour is not up to much. if it were me id like metalics and smarters finishes etc as well. I rendered the blue as a neutral colour but the idea was to have a range of different finishes. Its hard to paint a prototype in more vibrant colours without it looking tacky.

When starting to design this the idea of insulin and needle storage was suggested by people however this had too much of an impact on the size. Maybe if i had the time I would have developed something seperate to hold different cartridges or needles etc.

the main aim of this product is for a fast acting insulin. On the move, out in the evening or in a cinema for example, out of your pocket, everythings there, pop a blood strip in, quick finger prick and test and turn on its side for an fast acting dose, job done. Really it was about simplicity and quick and easy use, hence the single button operation for the BM etc

The aim was originally to have this as a sort of, out and about device, and not to replace your devices you usually use at home. If that makes sense.

thanks for your comments though

Ross

mindii

Dislikes
rude or over opinionated, over bearing people. liars,
the rain and the cold!
Hey Ross,
Right ok got all that still think you'r idea rocks especially when i only take a wee bag or none at all out so it'll save some other poor soul carrying all my stuff :lol: so yeah get stuck in we need someone with a bit of vision and real life experience in these matters coming up with useful stuff like this!!
let us know how it all goes
Amanda :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The question that springs to mind is who's test strips will you use ?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Great idea Ross, I also think that you should watermark your pics in case any one else tries to pinch your idea as theirs.

MuhammadII

OMG I've been waiting ages for something like this.

The people who make the pens and testing equiptment don't understand that some people just want a device they can slip in their pocket.

It seems revolutionary.
The split screen is clever.

Only critique I have is the injection bit:
It seems a rather unorthodox thing to hold when trying to inject.

Some other stuff:
-Wonder if it could be programmed to remember the dose injected
(could be helpful for emergencies) and help person understand their diabetes better.
-Is there a compartment for needles and test strips?
-Some sort of unique ID code so that if lost, the owner could be traced.

It definately seems like an idea in the right direction.
Soz for the essay

ross_101

Hi MuhammadII,

Thanks for your comments.

Interestingly enough i've had lots of other forums say the same about having the injected dose recorded. This would be no problem to do as the dose has an electronic read out and therefore could be stored with little programming.

I have had others comment about its possible size being an issue when injecting. I think a redesign is certainly in order on this front. there is definately room for reducing the size and I will look further into the issue of holding it while injecting. As it stands the end of the needle travel is in line with the end of the product. But i agree that area needs a lot of work.

The compartment is only for test strips as it stands. Storing needles was looked at in the concept stage but I scrapped this idea after being unable to maintain a small size and store needles at the same time. But again it is an issue.

Again, thanks for your input.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ross_101 said:
The idea?
The design?
How useful is it?
Does it solve the problem of carrying too many things?
Are there things you don't like?
Are there things you like?
Great idea! I think it would be useful to lots of people. Personally I'm not sure I'd use it, as I'd be carrying spare needles, 2nd insulin pen (long lasting), glucose tablets, and somewhere to put sharps. Maybe you could design a matching container for the other items too (not a device like this one, just a box or something)? Only other comment is re: size + injecting, but I think it's small enough to be usable.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I do not inject insulin so maybe my opinion is not really valid, but if it is I would like to see the pricker device of the cassette drum type (such as the Roche Multiclix) and the test strips replaced by the revolving disc type with several tests per disc. Anything that can reduce fumbling would be most welcome. . . . but full marks for a fantastic idea and I hope it takes off in a big way!