Fallen off wagon

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most low carb baked goods you have to make yourself. That does sound very good. Recipe? Please?:angelic:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MMMmmm Where do you buy Low Carb Almond Shortcake @Robbity They sound soooo good!
I don't!!:D:D I make it - one of the first recipes I adapted when I started low carbing:

200g ground almonds
75g (Kerrygold) butter
approx 40g Sukrin Gold (erythritol brown sugar replacement)
(optional) 2 teaspoons of Sukrin Fiberfin (a resistant starch flour which can help with binding ingredients in place of gluten)
(optional) teasp ground cinnamon, vanilla or almond extract/essence - but not necessarily all together...:D
  • soften butter slightly
  • add Sukrin Gold and beat together with Fiberfin and other optional ingredient(s) if using
  • add ground almonds and mix with fork until crumbly then mould by hand until forms a nice solid ball
  • flatted out into a circle on greaseproof paper
  • score into 8 sections with knife
  • I usually prick round with fork (but again it's optional!)
  • add to silicone mat and pop into microwave on medium for approx 3 mins. Watch because cooking too long or using too high a setting can cause internal "burning"/browning!
  • remove carefully on to cooling rack, and slide out silcone mat. Leave to cool then re-score with knife
(Sukrin have their own UK website, but some items are usually available also from Amazon, or maybe Avidlite or Holland & Barrett.)

Robbity

PS I sometimes add orange zest, extract, and/or fresh juice but this last can make the mixture a bit wet...and probably slightly more carby.

Last edited:
Reactions: ellagy and Bellatom

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bellatom hope you have climbed back on the LC bike today and pedaled away. Don't beat yourself up, move on, there is the rest of your life to deal with. You can't change yesterday. I think we all get the munchies now and again. I either eat a teaspoon of creme fraich, or when I am better organised I have hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Mash them in mayo, and if you must, sprinkle some weeds (parsley) on it

Reactions: Bellatom

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't!!:D:D I make it - one of the first recipes I adapted when I started low carbing:

200g ground almonds
75g (Kerrygold) butter
approx 40g Sukrin Gold (erythritol brown sugar replacement)
(optional) 2 teaspoons of Sukrin Fiberfin (a resistant starch flour which can help with binding ingredients in place of gluten)
(optional) teasp ground cinnamon, vanilla or almond extract/essence - but not necessarily all together...:D
  • soften butter slightly
  • add Sukrin Gold and beat together with Fiberfin and other optional ingredient(s) if using
  • add ground almonds and mix with fork until crumbly then mould by hand until forms a nice solid ball
  • flatted out into a circle on greaseproof paper
  • score into 8 sections with knife
  • I usually prick round with fork (but again it's optional!)
  • add to silicone mat and pop into microwave on medium for approx 3 mins. Watch because cooking too long or using too high a setting can cause internal "burning"/browning!
  • remove carefully on to cooling rack, and slide out silcone mat. Leave to cool then re-score with knife
(Sukrin have their own UK website, but some items are usually available also from Amazon, or maybe Avidlite or Holland & Barrett.)

Robbity

PS I sometimes add orange zest, extract, and/or fresh juice but this last can make the mixture a bit wet...and probably slightly more carby.
Thank you Robbity... they do sound yummy! :)

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
I have also fallen off the wagon. I changed jobs from working 2 jobs and going 3/4 weeks with out a day off in retail and cleaning I am now a night carer my weight has gone up and my glucose has risen may promises to change have all gone unfulfilled. I need some one to encourage me. I was low carbing and doing well. New month new promise but here I sit with an exercise dvd in the computer playing card games!!!! HELP!!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bellatom I am low carbing too. I keep a variety of nuts and cheese in the house. I also have crunchy peanut butter and almond butter which I can have a spoonful of if I need to. I tend to have a pomegranate pot in the fridge for an evening as a treat.
I've had evenings like you describe too. Do a search for mug cakes. They only take a minute or two in the microwave. I found that gravy can trigger the munchies for me. Did you have a trigger which set you off?

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Bellatom I am low carbing too. I keep a variety of nuts and cheese in the house. I also have crunchy peanut butter and almond butter which I can have a spoonful of if I need to. I tend to have a pomegranate pot in the fridge for an evening as a treat.
I've had evenings like you describe too. Do a search for mug cakes. They only take a minute or two in the microwave. I found that gravy can trigger the munchies for me. Did you have a trigger which set you off?
I dont think I have a trigger other than the bathroom scales. I know this sounds mad but everytime my weight starts going down for a few weeks its as if the fat person thinks oh no you not getting rid of me and the thinner me is weaker and doesnt have as much control so now I not getting on the scales just going on my glucose levels and as long as they low I happy.
Think it is true that when you think right I am going to diet this is where I go off the rails yet at Christmas, buffets etc because I can have what I want I dont want.
I have got nuts and cheese in luckily I adore nuts so training myself to have a 5 year olds handful rather than 6ft bodybuilding man with shovels for hands.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bellatom youve made a good start. I have now adapted to the thought that this isn't a diet it is a new way of life. The diabetes was the trigger to low carbing and I found that when I fell off the wagon and ate freely my blood tests showed an increase. I know that this is how I need to eat to help my body. Have you tried the Hartleys no added sugar jelly pots for when you need a sweet fix?

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have also fallen off the wagon. I changed jobs from working 2 jobs and going 3/4 weeks with out a day off in retail and cleaning I am now a night carer my weight has gone up and my glucose has risen may promises to change have all gone unfulfilled. I need some one to encourage me. I was low carbing and doing well. New month new promise but here I sit with an exercise dvd in the computer playing card games!!!! HELP!!
Everyone needs encouragement as it gives you the boost you need when you flagging this is why I love these forums there is always someone there to listen and encourage and I find when I get that longing to put something in my mouth I open the forums have a read and answer when appropriate by the time I have done this the need for a feed has subsided. The most worrying thing is I never binge because I hungry so I know its more psychological.
You have a lot on your plate (excuse the pun) and I wish I could wave a wand but I cant and I am not going to say the usual keep busy etc as you obviously busy enough so what I do and I know I shouldnt but I get a hard boiled sweet and just suck it very very slowly this works most of the time as I think it distracts the monster into thinking I am eating something, doesnt always work and I am sure the binge monster will hit again so if I fall again I am not going to think sod it beat myself up and then put another stone on as I cannot afford to do this as this is why I have diabetes now I get back on the wagon and ride it full pelt.
Sending you buckets full of encouragement and support.
X

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Everyone needs encouragement as it gives you the boost you need when you flagging this is why I love these forums there is always someone there to listen and encourage and I find when I get that longing to put something in my mouth I open the forums have a read and answer when appropriate by the time I have done this the need for a feed has subsided. The most worrying thing is I never binge because I hungry so I know its more psychological.
You have a lot on your plate (excuse the pun) and I wish I could wave a wand but I cant and I am not going to say the usual keep busy etc as you obviously busy enough so what I do and I know I shouldnt but I get a hard boiled sweet and just suck it very very slowly this works most of the time as I think it distracts the monster into thinking I am eating something, doesnt always work and I am sure the binge monster will hit again so if I fall again I am not going to think sod it beat myself up and then put another stone on as I cannot afford to do this as this is why I have diabetes now I get back on the wagon and ride it full pelt.
Sending you buckets full of encouragement and support.
X
Just a thought, instead of putting on a exercise DVD get a music one and dance like a loony for the length of the adverts, I have been doing this for the last week or so and as its short bursts its not so daunting.