From DAFNE to low carb. How to go about doing it?

MuhammadII

Been doing the DAFNE system for around half a decade.

Would like to try out the low carb one.

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on it.

-I know that:

Units of insulin (both long and short acting) will decrease considerably.
I will have to monitor the changes closely.
I may lose some weight.

-I want to know:

How hard is it?
What will my body feel?
How can I gradually change the diet?
What changes will I have to make (other than normal) when doing strenuous exercise?

Current insulin regime:

Novorapid: 6-16units per meal
Levemir: 21 units at night.

MuhammadII

Thanks a lot Cugila that was v.informative

@CarbsRok

Thanks a lot for the answers.

In resonse to your comments:

Previously did carb guess and it worked well. This became more accurate after I did the DAFNE course.

One more question: Is it possible to no carb as a type 1?

jopar

Must admit to being surprised by someone who's undertaken DAFNE asking questions, I've done DAFNE myself...

You need to be extra vegilant with monitoring, the decrease in carbs will mean less insulin for carbs, which you already know.. But you are increasing fat and protien content of your foods, working out ratio's for these two can be a lot more difficult...

Has you will need to determin wheather, you best advantage for control, will be increasing your basal or the actual bolus to cover what you are eating...

Going extrem low carb can be difficult using just background and quick acting insulin, so you may need to add a 3rd anulog insulin one that you inject 1/2 hour before eating certain meals to get the right coverage/balance, which can't be achieved using the 2 insulins adjustments...

One of the thories behind the regime, is that burning fat as a fuel is slower, so you avoid peeks and troughs in control, but this can be a draw backs, yes you can tight control at lower limits, but you may pay the price with losing your hypo awearness, and there are times when the engery transfer from fat to fuel, isn't going to be quick enough so you will still may need the backup of fast acting carbs...

My best advice is to reduce slowly, even out carb in your meals first, then reduce monitor all the way, to find patterns, then ALWAYS keep a very good supply of fast carbs on you at all times, as you could be at higher risk of hypo's... Also identifications, that you'll diabetic etc just incase you start becoming hypo unawear...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Muhammad
All you need to do low carb and adjust your doses, is in Dr. Bernstein's book "Diabetes Solution".
He believes in managing on minimum carbs and minimum insulin.
You will need to test frequently whilst you are adjusting.
What kind of numbers are you getting at the moment?
Bernstein aims at low Blood glucose around 4.7 and Hb A1c below 5%
If you have been higher numbers, you may need to adapt to lower levels. It's not easy and needs self discipline, especially inti;ll you learn.
Bernstein calls his method "The doctrine of small numbers" it includes using very small corrections.
Many libraries don't seem to have the book, but it's woth asking
Hana