TRAVEL INSURANCE ?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently looking around in order to renew our annual travel insurance policy. I have to declare my T2 being treated with a drug, also PVD and raised cholesterol. Lowest quote I've found so far is from Travel Ins Medical @ £260.36 other quotes have all been above £400. These quotes are for an annual, EU only policy. (and for a pair of geriatrics!!)
Anyone have suggestions as to where I should try for further quotes?

Dave

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try medical travel compared. Was a lot cheaper for us. T2 diabetes, heart murmur, HBP, Cholesterol for us both and a few more.

Reactions: lessci

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Insure & Go. I am 69, have T2 on metformin, high BP, under-active thyroid, was still on statins, OH is 68 has Parkinsons, angina, statins, on Warfarin. Last years travel insurance for Europe was £220.18.

Reactions: Zolare

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need annual insurance? I found multiple single trips were cheaper. Depends how many trips you plan of course.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Best deal I've found is Travel Insurance 4 Medical. I first went via "Medical Travel Compare" and the quote for TI4M was £260.36. I then went direct to TI4M and got it £25.03 cheaper :)

You may be right @Mr_Pot , I didn't check this time, but over the past several years we've often had three trips abroad two of which are at least 21 days and up to now it worked out cheaper with a mult-trip annual policy. This year we'll probably only have two trips so it may well have been cheaper to take out individual policies!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Dave

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Insurance to the lowest price sometimes ends up with the lowest service.

Always check the reviews from people that had to claim from insurers for their experiences.

Reactions: col101

scarborough

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm currently looking around in order to renew our annual travel insurance policy. I have to declare my T2 being treated with a drug, also PVD and raised cholesterol. Lowest quote I've found so far is from Travel Ins Medical @ £260.36 other quotes have all been above £400. These quotes are for an annual, EU only policy. (and for a pair of geriatrics!!)

Dave
Hi Dave, It was cold day and the co op looked warm so went to them to ask about Travel insurance. I got a Quote £80 annual European cover. With high risk sport. I told them I have diabetic type one. I went down to the Bank who had Travel insurance in the package. told them that I had got the above for less than there extra fee they place for having medical conditions.

Reactions: miahara

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I get annual worldwide (excluding USA, Canada and the Carribbean) travel insurance from Insureandgo. Iirc it was £94 this year.
There are different levels of cover, I took the Silver option. I am over 65 so it doesn't cover trips of over 30 days - need to take individual cover for that.
If you go to their website you can get an online quote
Last week a forum member said he got annual worldwide cover including USA, Canada and Carribean for £70 from Just Travel Insurance. i don't know what that covers or their reputation, but will have a look at them when my current insurance expires.

Zolare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have T1, major heart problems, an international defibrillator, kidney failure, thyroid and I go with insure and go it cost me £32 for a fortnight activity packed holiday. I like to cover myself as I never know what I fancy doing out there xx

Reactions: Prem51

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi about travel ins. has anybody had a quote for European travel ins.for type1 diabetes,my sister wants to take her grandchildren to Spain but she has had two vein grafts in her leg and not doing great with them,and she still has blockages in other leg and carotid artery in her neck sorry name of it escapes me at moment.Would it be extremely high for her with these conditions.

1979Danny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi Dave,

Dave
If your wife has no serious illnesses. She should set up a Flex plus current account with Nationwide. There are various benefits with this account. Mainly travel insurance. Nationwide only request the bank account holders health conditions and the partner is added without any additional information. All for £10 per month.

Reactions: miahara

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Dave,

If your wife has no serious illnesses. She should set up a Flex plus current account with Nationwide. There are various benefits with this account. Mainly travel insurance. Nationwide only request the bank account holders health conditions and the partner is added without any additional information. All for £10 per month.

My flex plus didn't.
Any health problems must be declared, for all parties.
Is it possible you accidentally agreed they had no health conditions?

1979Danny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Just contacted insurance company and they confirmed your answer. My apologies to Dave. However, the insurance company screened my type 2 condition while I was on the phone. Apart from taking tablets I am now taking insulin which I expected to be an increase on the premium. But, there was no additional increase. I have no other complications unlike Dave's cholesterol. He should still ring them for a quote on 0800 0510154 UK Insurance, under the Flex plus account.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
somewhere else to try is Age UK, my parents both have multiple heath issues, but got cover at a reasonable price (I think it was a single trip though)

Carlhobbs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type two but on two types of insulin ( novo rapid and lantus) and two gems of metformin a day, three different tablets to control high blood pressure, a statin for cholesterol , apron, and a tablet for prostrate, I declare these and find travel insurance is excellent and certainly worth a look at.

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Dave
Hi Dave - If you have a Nationwide Building Society Flex account you can get international Travel Insurance for a low price. My wife and I will shortly travel to New Zealand for 5 weeks, Cover was an extra £120 approx and I have T2, cholesterol and my wife has blood pressure problems. You have to go through a phone health disclosure procedure. We are both about 70 years young. Sadly, Nationwide must have been losing money on this service as they have now withdrawn it for new customers opening the requisite account later than some time last December 2016. I got other quotes one year ago for a similar journey and prices were above £1,000 for the two of us so now I only use Nationwide Flex! Geoff.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Flex plus gives a reasonable insurance, breakdown cover, extended warranty, card assistance, for £10 a month.
So still not a bad deal.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sincere thanks to all who have replied. You've given me, and I suspect others too, plenty of leads. I've already gone for one for the next 12 months, but will investigate some of the others next time round as I suspect I might manage to save a few more £.

Dave