Head in the sand syndrome

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might help to keep a food, weight and BG readings diary ? I'm on book 6 now, and even if I've been naughty I make myself write everything I have eaten down and the BG consequences. If I'm having a stressful day I write how I feel too.
I do find these forums helpful in times of temptation too :)
I am doing well on this diet but I'm nowhere near perfect.. You can do this xx

Reactions: Prem51

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your thinking is so like mine! I tend to think I'll worry about complications if or when they happen. I also tend to dismiss the diabetes as trivial. There's much more important things to worry about and a lot of people much worse off with much bigger health issues than mine. Plus most people on here seem to be doing it right and getting great results. I admire them but give up reading those types of posts as it will never happen to me........it's like reading about somebody winning the lottery lol
The really stupid thing is if it had been something else other than my eyes I probably would have blown it off and carried on, I feel fine otherwise apart from a number on a meter nothing appears to be wrong, I too admire people who can take notice of the disease on diagnosis and keep up with a new lifestyle / diet, I just like food, there's not a piece of chocolate, curry, kebab or anything else i'd have given a second though about eating, and there was no such thing as moderation, I could buy chocolate(s) with the idea of keeping it and having a bit each day, but 99% of the time come time to sleep it would be gone. I was lucky if i cooked a couple of meals a week.

I do a lot of cooking now, i can't say I enjoy the process, but the urge to be bad is reduced but there's going to be times where i'm going to submit to eating things I know I shouldn't but as they say everything in moderation.......Yeah keep telling yourself that Phil lol.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It might help to keep a food, weight and BG readings diary ? I'm on book 6 now, and even if I've been naughty I make myself write everything I have eaten down and the BG consequences. If I'm having a stressful day I write how I feel too.
I do find these forums helpful in times of temptation too :)
I am doing well on this diet but I'm nowhere near perfect.. You can do this xx
I have to agree with you Daisy, I track my levels and food daily with a couple of phone apps (myfitnesspal for food and mysugr for levels) and it helps to keep me on the straight and narrow, the urge it still there, but when you add a large vanilla latte to it and you see that you've just had 3 days worth of carbs the urge for it dissapears.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I dip in and out of the forum regularly and kid myself on that I'm doing everything right.......who am I kidding!!

I've been type 2 for over 5 years now. Had good control in the beginning when the fear factor was there but it has gradually gone now. I know all the things I should be doing (could probably write a book lol) but just can't seem to get the willpower and motivation to do it. Also need to lose some weight too. A big birthday in July this year so I keep telling myself I need to get in shape for that and hoping it gives me inspiration......but it doesn't!
I think my main problem is snacking, in fact no my main problem is chocolate!!! I really do think I'm addicted to it. I keep trying to cut it down or cut it out but fail miserably. The canteen and vending machines at work would be running at a loss without me. I have the testing equipment and go through spells of testing, but only when I've been reasonably good. Because I feel fine then I think I am fine. However, after someone asked me today when I last tested I decided maybe it's time I did a random test........17.3!!! I wish I felt ill with those figures and it would maybe spur me on. It did give me a fright but I know by tomorrow I'll have forgotten about it. I always vow to be good but it never lasts.
Sorry for going on but not really sure what I want from on here. Probably reassurance that I'm not alone and hopefully some advice on how to combat things and change it around. I'm not depressed or comfort eating. I'm generally in a good place with life so really don't have any justifiable excuses. Ideally I'd like to buy some willpower and motivation from Amazon!
Is there anyone else out there with their head in the sand like me? Just plodding on, knowing I'm diabetic but insisting "it's only one - it can't do any harm".

Oh and I do buy the moser Roth bars from aldi......hide them in a cupboard......taking out one bar at a time.....and the whole packet is finished that evening.

My other half is brilliant and very supportive but he is really worried about my eating habits. When he mentions it I just laugh it off and insist I'm fine. I want to change for myself but also for him. He has enough stress at work without worrying about me as well.

Reading this back to myself I know I sound pathetic and probably just need a kick up the proverbial..........

But any help or advice or opinions or experience of feeling the same would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I look forward to receiving your replies

We are all human, remember that - however much you beat yourself up.

Maybe preparing with just a couple of pieces of 85% dark chocolate would help? Just enjoy those two pieces, let them melt in your mouth - you will have the chocolate fix you want.

For me life's has become about being organised. I have good snacks available and that stops me buying food I know will spike me.

Good luck! You can do it :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
May I suggest you buy a good pair of ear plugs this will prevent sand from getting in your ears.

Other than that what every one else has said with emphasis.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The really stupid thing is if it had been something else other than my eyes I probably would have blown it off and carried on, I feel fine otherwise apart from a number on a meter nothing appears to be wrong, I too admire people who can take notice of the disease on diagnosis and keep up with a new lifestyle / diet, I just like food, there's not a piece of chocolate, curry, kebab or anything else i'd have given a second though about eating, and there was no such thing as moderation, I could buy chocolate(s) with the idea of keeping it and having a bit each day, but 99% of the time come time to sleep it would be gone. I was lucky if i cooked a couple of meals a week.

I do a lot of cooking now, i can't say I enjoy the process, but the urge to be bad is reduced but there's going to be times where i'm going to submit to eating things I know I shouldn't but as they say everything in moderation.......Yeah keep telling yourself that Phil lol.
Oh your post made me laugh this time! That sentence " I feel fine otherwise apart from a number on a meter nothing appears to be wrong" just sums me up perfectly.........random test tonight 17.3 and I didn't feel up nor down just perfectly healthy. At first I thought it must be a mistake but I've had a mint aero, a bounty and a twix today as well as steak pie (including puff pastry) with chips. So even I couldn't kid myself on it was a mistake lol

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
bounty = yum
twix = yum
aero = yum
pie = yum
chips = yum

I see a pattern here, if this was a just over month ago i'd be on my way to the shop right about now. Compared to my day today.

2 egg omlette with chili frankfuter = yum
Left lunch in fridge had some egg & bulgar wheat salad = yuck (salads in general = yuck except greek salad)
Pork in mustard sauce = soso, creamed spinach = yum (cant get enough of it)

All in all i'm not enamoured with low carb but it does get easier, the thing that keeps me going isin the last 2 days my highest level is 6 the lowest was 4.7. it works if i treat it like a game as silly as it sounds. 18kg to go and i'll have a peice of chocolate.

I was also a light smoker and i've given that up as well, January was hell and the only thing that enjoyed it was my wallet.

Was listening to the radio this morning on the way to work, apparently chris evans is cutting out sugar for February, but strangely honey is ok, cant quite get my head around that. :)

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Totally normal, you've taken the first step and understood there is a problem. See your doctor (at least every couple of months) to review your meds. Finally - read/watch and follow the guidance of all the free content on www.dietdoctor.com (low carb high fat diet - try it without any pre judgment for at least 3-6 months)

1 year tops your weight will be healthy and manageable and your type 2 diabetes may even be managed by diet alone.

Good luck, and you will still be able to eat high quality chocolate!

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Suehp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dip in and out of this Forum too, generally having a peak when a headline grabs me - 'Head in the sand syndrome' certainly attracted my attention, because I think a lot of us can relate to it. I 'struggled' with Christmas, a fab holiday and my birthday - so now is the time for me to knuckle down and actually realise that this is serious stuff, but finding it so hard. I quite often genuinely forget and suddenly remember when part way through eating a cake or biscuit ! Like you say, it probably would be easier if you felt ill - I am very fit, active and feel really well, sometimes even kidding myself that it's all been a big mistake and the doctor is talking about somebody else, NOT me ! Yesterday was the 1st of the month, so new beginnings and all that - went out for a family meal last night, ate pretty healthily and then spoilt it all by not being able to resist the chocolate that was served with my coffee aargh !!!! Oh well, today is another day ............ so here we go again, Good Luck to all my fellow chocoholic diabetic friends.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
M, I'll be honest, I'm struggling with weight vs diabetes - I know you'll understand. At present (unfortunately), low carb can be triggering so I can't follow that wholeheartedly - what I can do is test after my eating, my therapist is ok with that too. I'm eating breakfast (that was a real struggle) but it's part of my routine. Yesterday I did have a lush lower carb brekkie of seasoned spinach, poached eggs, and a rasher of bacon - 6.2. This morning I had a bowl of porridge (which I'm starting to like) - 6.2, so I can eat that.
Over Christmas my daughter kept buying me large packets of crisps and of course, I ate them. Up in the 9's. A Chinese meal - 14.2, but testing 5 mins later, 9.2. So that is out the window.
No crisps for me, for diabetes sake. Easier than eating s mouthful and leaving it - think you should do the same with your choc xx

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
M, I'll be honest, I'm struggling with weight vs diabetes - I know you'll understand. At present (unfortunately), low carb can be triggering so I can't follow that wholeheartedly - what I can do is test after my eating, my therapist is ok with that too. I'm eating breakfast (that was a real struggle) but it's part of my routine. Yesterday I did have a lush lower carb brekkie of seasoned spinach, poached eggs, and a rasher of bacon - 6.2. This morning I had a bowl of porridge (which I'm starting to like) - 6.2, so I can eat that.
Over Christmas my daughter kept buying me large packets of crisps and of course, I ate them. Up in the 9's. A Chinese meal - 14.2, but testing 5 mins later, 9.2. So that is out the window.
No crisps for me, for diabetes sake. Easier than eating s mouthful and leaving it - think you should do the same with your choc xx
You sound like you're getting there. Well done! And it's all very good advice. I do struggle with breakfasts as well. I'm a toast or cereal person and can only eat egg if it's hard boiled and between 2 slices of toast. One step at a time for me......I'm going to cut out the chocolate first and then work on cutting the carbs. Keep up the good work A x

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just want to thank everyone for their replies last night, the support and encouragement, as well as all the good advice. I took it all on board and it's worked so far. I know it's not much but I survived all day today without going to the vending machine or buying chocolate. I even went for fuel and resisted lifting a bar of chocolate when paying. My bg was 14.3 this morning and 9.3 when I came home from work so it's going in the right direction.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chocoholicnomore
I was where you are now, in that I ate toast for breakfast, two filled rolls at lunch, evening meal to include potatoes. Yes, also enjoyed anything chocolate, couldn't walk past the bakery aisle or confectionary aisle without putting stuff in my trolley; would finish the packet of biscuits without realising I was eating so many etc etc etc.

I was/am well aware I had (have) Type 2, was/am well aware of complications; well aware my blood sugar ran too high; apart from being tired, I was without symptoms. The thought of a diet to lower/control blood glucose, and much-needed weight loss, was too much for me to contemplate. I couldn't manage without bread and potaties, nor chocolate and other sweet things so no point in trying! I wouldn't manage the inevitable hunger etither ... You know what I am saying, I'm sure.

The long-term complications will likely happen to someone else - ie not me!!! I didn't want to think of this, of course, as it meant I'd have to do something about controling my glucose levels which meant giving up all the food I liked :(

However, glucose lowering tablets caused my weight to increase!!! Something had to be done!!!!

Believe it or not, I managed to decrease eating bread and potatoes, then pasta and rice. I managed to lose a lot of weight and my glucose levels began to drop and level out. My daily 'treat' was some fresh fruit, a little sweet yoghurt and double cream (which helped the spikes ;) ) so began to eat vegetables, more cheese (especially on veg), enjoy my dessert and never felt hungry, in spite of eating much less :) That was a huge relief :)

The best thing I did, to help control glucose levels, was to get Freestyle Libre. I can now see a graph, every time I scan and so can see what effect any food (or chocolate) does to my glucose levels. The main motivation I get is from this graph and I just hate to think how I would 'spoil' it if I had some chocolate etc. It really has helped me - I'm now off my tablets and due a 3-month check without tabs, at the end of this month. I suspect it may be a bit raised from my last Hba1c but hopefully not too much :) So, if you can afford it, (excpensive) consider this as your motivation???? ;)

Julie

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
-My incentive was the GP telling me that we had run out of otions, and a referral to the local hospital for Insulin Training, I have a major NO NO on this since my mother was T1D and died from complications. I somehow associate insulin as the last train to Clarksville. So I pleaded my case, amd we ended up with my GP supplying me with test strips on the strict understanding that if my HbA1c did not improve in 3 months then I would go on insulin without a whimper. We both kept our words for the last year, and I have found a comfortable lifestyle (LCHF) that I can sustain, and I became quite anal over testing (as others on the forum will attest) But its saved me...I have a goal and a feedback mechsnism that has allowed me to reduce my meds and still meet my GP's 'resolved' accolade. The key is in the testing, and diet control that is simple to operate, and I now live day to day. Some days I fall off the waggon, most days I manage to do it right, I have a BMI of 21 again, and I lost 4" off my waistline. I had a holiday over XMAS, but back on the waggon again now. My bgl average only rose 2 mmol/l after a week of bingeing, so I most certainly am seeing some remission in that my insulin resistance seems to have recovered a bit,

So it is worth persevering with the battle, I send a hug and hope you find a way forward that works for you.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi all, I dip in and out of the forum regularly and kid myself on that I'm doing everything right.......who am I kidding!!

I've been type 2 for over 5 years now. Had good control in the beginning when the fear factor was there but it has gradually gone now. I know all the things I should be doing (could probably write a book lol) but just can't seem to get the willpower and motivation to do it. Also need to lose some weight too. A big birthday in July this year so I keep telling myself I need to get in shape for that and hoping it gives me inspiration......but it doesn't!
I think my main problem is snacking, in fact no my main problem is chocolate!!! I really do think I'm addicted to it. I keep trying to cut it down or cut it out but fail miserably. The canteen and vending machines at work would be running at a loss without me. I have the testing equipment and go through spells of testing, but only when I've been reasonably good. Because I feel fine then I think I am fine. However, after someone asked me today when I last tested I decided maybe it's time I did a random test........17.3!!! I wish I felt ill with those figures and it would maybe spur me on. It did give me a fright but I know by tomorrow I'll have forgotten about it. I always vow to be good but it never lasts.
Sorry for going on but not really sure what I want from on here. Probably reassurance that I'm not alone and hopefully some advice on how to combat things and change it around. I'm not depressed or comfort eating. I'm generally in a good place with life so really don't have any justifiable excuses. Ideally I'd like to buy some willpower and motivation from Amazon!
Is there anyone else out there with their head in the sand like me? Just plodding on, knowing I'm diabetic but insisting "it's only one - it can't do any harm".

Oh and I do buy the moser Roth bars from aldi......hide them in a cupboard......taking out one bar at a time.....and the whole packet is finished that evening.

My other half is brilliant and very supportive but he is really worried about my eating habits. When he mentions it I just laugh it off and insist I'm fine. I want to change for myself but also for him. He has enough stress at work without worrying about me as well.

Reading this back to myself I know I sound pathetic and probably just need a kick up the proverbial..........

But any help or advice or opinions or experience of feeling the same would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I look forward to receiving your replies

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chocoholicnomore
I was where you are now, in that I ate toast for breakfast, two filled rolls at lunch, evening meal to include potatoes. Yes, also enjoyed anything chocolate, couldn't walk past the bakery aisle or confectionary aisle without putting stuff in my trolley; would finish the packet of biscuits without realising I was eating so many etc etc etc.

I was/am well aware I had (have) Type 2, was/am well aware of complications; well aware my blood sugar ran too high; apart from being tired, I was without symptoms. The thought of a diet to lower/control blood glucose, and much-needed weight loss, was too much for me to contemplate. I couldn't manage without bread and potaties, nor chocolate and other sweet things so no point in trying! I wouldn't manage the inevitable hunger etither ... You know what I am saying, I'm sure.

The long-term complications will likely happen to someone else - ie not me!!! I didn't want to think of this, of course, as it meant I'd have to do something about controling my glucose levels which meant giving up all the food I liked :(

However, glucose lowering tablets caused my weight to increase!!! Something had to be done!!!!

Believe it or not, I managed to decrease eating bread and potatoes, then pasta and rice. I managed to lose a lot of weight and my glucose levels began to drop and level out. My daily 'treat' was some fresh fruit, a little sweet yoghurt and double cream (which helped the spikes ;) ) so began to eat vegetables, more cheese (especially on veg), enjoy my dessert and never felt hungry, in spite of eating much less :) That was a huge relief :)

The best thing I did, to help control glucose levels, was to get Freestyle Libre. I can now see a graph, every time I scan and so can see what effect any food (or chocolate) does to my glucose levels. The main motivation I get is from this graph and I just hate to think how I would 'spoil' it if I had some chocolate etc. It really has helped me - I'm now off my tablets and due a 3-month check without tabs, at the end of this month. I suspect it may be a bit raised from my last Hba1c but hopefully not too much :) So, if you can afford it, (excpensive) consider this as your motivation???? ;)

Julie
That's fantastic Julie and very inspiring. I'm on the same train of thought as you were and struggle to change although I know I must change. It's been very helpful reading personal stories of people who think exactly the same as me but have managed to overcome it. I really do hope I can too. Thank you for sharing your experience and helping me realise I am not alone.

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just want to thank everyone for their replies last night, the support and encouragement, as well as all the good advice. I took it all on board and it's worked so far. I know it's not much but I survived all day today without going to the vending machine or buying chocolate. I even went for fuel and resisted lifting a bar of chocolate when paying. My bg was 14.3 this morning and 9.3 when I came home from work so it's going in the right direction.
Heya, i'm glad you had a good day and your levels dropped, well done on resisting temptation, I succumbed today and had a bar of lindor (like the balls if you have ever had them) and I found it tasted awful, this used to be one of my favourites and within a month my taste has changed which has really surprised me, I also had an argument with a funsize twix......the twix won, i didn't go down without a fight though but my it was tasty. I did well though my boos is a bit of a chocolate fiend, and he restocked the fridge at work and until now i'd avoided temptation, it was a bit of poo day at work though.

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize