type 2 insulin resistant causing high cholesterol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i never even got asked to fast just had doctors today even he said they dont do a breakdown only a total check

If that is the case, your doctor is working blind and has no idea at all whether you need statins. You need to insist.

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure what the cholesterol figures of 44 & 70 relate to, next time you visit your surgery to have bloods taken ask for a full lipid breakdown (a full lipid cholesterol check is usually a fasting one but they will say if you need to fast), but here are the current NICE guidelines on cholesterol testing:

Blood fats (lipids)
Lipids are the cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood. Cholesterol is a type of fat found in all of us. You may be familiar with the term blood cholesterol, but what you may not know is that not all cholesterol is bad. Some of it, HDL (high density lipoprotein), can actually protect against heart disease. Low levels of this protective HDL cholesterol increase your risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol is the bad form of cholesterol in the blood. Triglycerides are another type of fat in the blood. If you have raised cholesterol and raised triglycerides you have an increased risk of CVD.

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/Testing/
We are told that LDL cholesterol is the bad kind. What we are NOT told is that it is essential to life. All the cells in our bodies would be a liquiddy sort of mess on the floor without it, as it is the main constituent of the membrane which keeps all the internal bits of every cell together. Problems occur when it becomes oxidised, and caught up in our blood vessels with bits and pieces sticking to the vessel walls. The latest meta-study to be conducted in U.K. showed that 92% of the people followed, with HIGH!! cholesterol, lived longer than those with low. Just something to think about. I personally would think very hard about taking statins, not only because of the above, but if you have fibromyalgia (and I suffer from it too)they could well make the pain worse

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i asked about the break down but the nurse stated it costs too much for a break down the nhs wont fund it just a total test :( i have to see the doctor thursday so im gonna have it out with him not so good arging on a lady nurse
My surgery wont admit that (their) Wealth trumps (my) Health. Our Surgeries get an annual payment of £146 per patient, and additional sums for those who have specific ailments, of which Diabetes is one. They can either spend that money on a proper fasting blood test, or keep it in their pocket.They also receive a payment for prescribing statins.

Nice avatar BTW (Spine chilling) is it available as an enamel badge?