Threw up last night... really confused

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Okay so last night I had steak for dinner (with chips, onion rings, peas, tomato and peppercorn sauce) and my blood sugar was fine afterwards.
I woke up at about 1:30am and felt REALLY sick. I threw up twice. And then ten minutes after I had a hypo.
I still feel a tiny bit sick this morning. Blood sugar is fine, and also have no ketones. What's going onnnn :-(
*also, not pregnant*

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you have a tummy bug? When did you last have a coeliac test? Always good to rule that out.

Reactions: Chloesnavy

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Could you have a tummy bug? When did you last have a coeliac test? Always good to rule that out.

I cant remember. I'm normally fine though whatever I eat whether it's gluten or carbs (fine as in don't feel sick afterwards) I will get a check up just in case though thank you.

Reactions: azure

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does sound a lot like something in what you ate really didn't agree with you.

If it were me I would up my test frequency and if you still feel sick test for ketones since you can have elevated ketones with normal blood sugars.

Are you okay keeping food down this morning? Last time I was having trouble keeping feed down I stuck with fresh juice and reduced my basal by a couple of units just to stop the hypos and monitored every couple of hours.

Hope you are feeling better today though.

A

Reactions: Chloesnavy

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does sound a lot like something in what you ate really didn't agree with you.

If it were me I would up my test frequency and if you still feel sick test for ketones since you can have elevated ketones with normal blood sugars.

Are you okay keeping food down this morning? Last time I was having trouble keeping feed down I stuck with fresh juice and reduced my basal by a couple of units just to stop the hypos and monitored every couple of hours.

Hope you are feeling better today though.

A

Maybe so. The steak was so nice though I still feel a little sick this morning. Just checked ketones and I have none, and blood is 8.2. I have no idea. I'm not hungry but will definitely try and have some toast in a bit. I'm keeping water down too

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe so. The steak was so nice though I still feel a little sick this morning. Just checked ketones and I have none, and blood is 8.2. I have no idea. I'm not hungry but will definitely try and have some toast in a bit. I'm keeping water down too
Fingers crossed it is just something you ate last night then.

Hope you feel better soon.

/A

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Chloe, as others have said, probably just a bit of random mild food poisoning (not necessarily the steak, might have been something from earlier), but thought I'd mention, about the hypo, after you sick up the part-digested chips, then they're never going to end up as glucose in your bloodstream, so if you still had active insulin on board from the last bolus, it'll not have any chips to work on but would just carry on regardless and drop you low. So, to be cautious, it's usually a good idea to try to get some carbs back in to replace the missing chips. Learned all this from a very bad experience with oysters!

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a thought @Chloesnavy Perhaps the antibiotics you've had to take recently have messed up,your tummy slightly? They kill good bacteria as well as bad.

I usually take probiotics after antibiotics as I find that helps me.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a thought @Chloesnavy Perhaps the antibiotics you've had to take recently have messed up,your tummy slightly? They kill good bacteria as well as bad.

I usually take probiotics after antibiotics as I find that helps me.

Yes could well be a possibility. Where do you get probiotics from? Still feeling a little queasy and got ever so slight ketones but keeping everything down :)

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Chloe, as others have said, probably just a bit of random mild food poisoning (not necessarily the steak, might have been something from earlier), but thought I'd mention, about the hypo, after you sick up the part-digested chips, then they're never going to end up as glucose in your bloodstream, so if you still had active insulin on board from the last bolus, it'll not have any chips to work on but would just carry on regardless and drop you low. So, to be cautious, it's usually a good idea to try to get some carbs back in to replace the missing chips. Learned all this from a very bad experience with oysters!

Yes I'm thinking mild food poisoning too. I ate my dinner at about 7:30 last night, and woke at 1:30am just feeling awful. Could have even been the tomato that made me ill! Feeling sick still, but keeping food down which is good. I've had toast and soup.
I never have any luck

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I buy my probiotics online, but I would guess a chemist or health shop would have some :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
sounds like it could be a 24 hour bug to me personally