Success - I've made it to 55 ....

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
This is kind of a success story - I turned 55 today marking my 51st year of living with type 1 diabetes. It's been a good life so far - I have two adult children, still living common law with the same women over the past 34 years and have a successful career. My diabetes has not really been much trouble or stressful - mainly because I don't remember a time I didn't have diabetes so I really have nothing to compare it too and I'm very stubborn - I love life and adventure and always make room for that. It's one of my main drivers.

Plans for this year - music festivals, canoe trips, mountain climbing and hopefully trout fishing (I haven't done much of that over the past 10 years and I'm a short paddle away from prime Rainbow, Brook and Salmon habitats.) I'd like to do some long distance cycling this summer too but I'll consider myself lucky if I only do a fraction of that stuff as my ambitions are greater than what reality will allow LOL .....

Anyway - for anyone struggling with their diabetes - it is possible to turn things around. Keep trying and don't get too frustrated and be weary of doctors that have the ability to instill Obsessive Compulsive Disorders within their patients when or if their diabetes control goes awry. In spite of it all I try to live life to its fullest. I try to stay away from misinformed Health Professionals and try to remain optimistic . As far as I know we only live once, might as well try to make the most of it.

Cheers everyone!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is kind of a success story - I turned 55 today marking my 51st year of living with type 1 diabetes. It's been a good life so far - I have two adult children, still living common law with the same women over the past 34 years and have a successful career. My diabetes has not really been much trouble or stressful - mainly because I don't remember a time I didn't have diabetes so I really have nothing to compare it too and I'm very stubborn - I love life and adventure and always make room for that. It's one of my main drivers.

Plans for this year - music festivals, canoe trips, mountain climbing and hopefully trout fishing (I haven't done much of that over the past 10 years and I'm a short paddle away from prime Rainbow, Brook and Salmon habitats.) I'd like to do some long distance cycling this summer too but I'll consider myself lucky if I only do a fraction of that stuff as my ambitions are greater than what reality will allow LOL .....

Anyway - for anyone struggling with their diabetes - it is possible to turn things around. Keep trying and don't get too frustrated and be weary of doctors that have the ability to instill Obsessive Compulsive Disorders within their patients when or if their diabetes control goes awry. In spite of it all I try to live life to its fullest. I try to stay away from misinformed Health Professionals and try to remain optimistic . As far as I know we only live once, might as well try to make the most of it.

Cheers everyone!

A lovely, positive and inspirational post to read, WELL DONE, here's to the next 51 :D

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@fletchweb . What a great post. Happy Birthday. Inspiration for any new/struggling diabetics out there.
I'm approaching a point in my life where I'll have been T1 longer than I wasn't ( 27 yrs ).
I can just about remember life with a fully functioning pancreas . Would I like those times back?????????
Strangely NO . I honestly believe T1 has made me a better person.
Good luck for the coming year and all the challenges ahead.

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders

Cheers everyone!
God, you are the biggest inspiration to us all. Love your attitude and positive message which I'm sure makes so many of us see things major differently in each stage of initial diagnosis to present status. Thank you for putting your life into words and may you enjoy many more years with your unbelievable inspiration. THANK YOU!!

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Cheers everyone!
Well done, I'm into my 54th year of type 1, how things have changed over the years. Keep going onwards and upwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Cheers everyone!
Hi I have lived with type 1 for the past fifty years and I am 56 next week. I am a successful full time lawyer I am happily married gave birth to Hannah 24 years ago and Hannah has just given me my first grandchild. I walk two miles per day and eat sensibly. love life to the full and enjoy that is my moto

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi I have lived with type 1 for the past fifty years and I am 56 next week. I am a successful full time lawyer I am happily married gave birth to Hannah 24 years ago and Hannah has just given me my first grandchild. I walk two miles per day and eat sensibly. love life to the full and enjoy that is my moto
There's some of us out there jennypickstock - glad to hear it! :)

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I Happy Bithday well done. I have also been type ones( since 5 years of age) my 51st year in June. I also have two children and still work as a nurse. Although challenging at times I have always felt importance of being in control of disease. Rather than it controlling me if not managed well. I hope to continue to live a full life.Thankfully no side effects yet!

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Cheers everyone!
I've only just read your story. Well done you. I've been type 1 for 55 years, and like you I don't remember life without it. Carry on doing what you're doing and have a great life.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Happy Birthday and congratulations............
I've been T1 for a mere 43 years but still going strong.......lol

Tony

Periscope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your attitude is fantastic . I amT2 so thank you for sending a positive message to all who need encouragement. May you have many more birthdays and fulfill your dreams and plans. God bless . Eileen.