What is the lowest your blood sugar has been?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
xmas eve, this year. Slept through it, and then felt as if I had been run over by a bus all through xmas. Thanks Freestyle Libre!

Still can't believe it happened. And only a month later i can't remember what i ate to cause it!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
1.1 sat still and fixed it. I find different lows feel different, sick in the 3's, shaky in the 2's, low 2's and below the floor starts to move, and everything looks like its been dotted with tippex. Haven't been that low in a loooong time x

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lowest I have been was 1.1, I was home about 2 weeks after having my 2nd child. That was scary, but been 1.2 a few times, 1.8 etc and was able to treat myself (once the confusion cleared and was able to think!!).

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Oh dear! I haven't experienced anything below 2 yet and I hope I don't!

Reactions: EllsKBells

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lowest I've ever seen on my metre was LO, but I have been low enough to have a little coma, where I was so low they couldn't even take me to hospital, because they were scared to move me in case it made my sugar drop any further. So that was fun!

Bill_Dundee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that for the majority of BG testers, unless you manually change the settings, the default setting for LO is 4.0 and under, so I wouldn't necessarily panic if it shows being LO. Lots of things can cause this - having a cold or upset stomach are a couple of examples.

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
this would be the simple answer -- you have lost some of your hypo awareness

this has happened to me over the last 15 years -- so to counter it I just make sure I test very regularly so I can catch any potential lows as quickly as possible

I'm newly diagnosed and have had a couple of self treatable hypos, the lowest I've been was 2.8 (today as it happens) - and I had no symptoms during this latest one. Not one.

I've had symptoms (cold sweat, headache, light head) with a 3.7 - so does that mean I had hypo unawareness there too?

Luckily I'm testing frequently at this moment in time so caught it and treated. It was only an hour before my next meal was due too.

I'm on 10 with Novorapid for every meal.
16 bg with levemir.

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Same for me too! When I was diagnosed and my blood sugars were around 30 and my ketones had risen to 6, I didn't feel sick or anything. I felt normal which confused the doctors lol.

I had the exact same thing (bg was 26, KET was 7). Doctors baffled. Weird.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I believe that for the majority of BG testers, unless you manually change the settings, the default setting for LO is 4.0 and under, so I wouldn't necessarily panic if it shows being LO. Lots of things can cause this - having a cold or upset stomach are a couple of examples.
sorry @Bill_Dundee but you are wrong-- meters are normally set between a low of 1.1 - 1.3 -- so if you get a reading of LO it is below those numbers.
they also normally have a high of around 27-30 before they start reading HI
if you have a look at the instruction leaflet in every set of strips it will tell you the range ( and accuracy) of the strips and meter you are using

I think you are confusing the meter ability to read a blood sugar reading with setting a personal preference for "in range" settings

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How low have I been?
Low enough to hold onto and kiss a bedroom radiator in the middle of winter. Blistered tongue, lips and hand.
Low enough to wake up in bed face covered in blood, duvet at bottom of stairs, pillow top of stairs with no recollection to this day what happened but a scar where they stitched my nose back together.
Sorry no numbers but numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How low have I been?
Low enough to hold onto and kiss a bedroom radiator in the middle of winter. Blistered tongue, lips and hand.
Low enough to wake up in bed face covered in blood, duvet at bottom of stairs, pillow top of stairs with no recollection to this day what happened but a scar where they stitched my nose back together.
I promise I am only smiling a tiny bit at your post -- I was a hoover in the telly adverts ( no idea why )

sorry if I have gone slightly off topic:)

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Oh but hypos are also a blessing if they aren't too bad! I can have a cheeky snack without insulin ;)
I'll keep a record on how I feel from now on, should help me more! :)

Eireannn don't be fooled by hypo s, if they go a step too far they are extremely dangerous. I am diabetic now 27 years this month & have blacked out once, 14 years ago, I was in my kitchen which had stone flooring @ the time, you can imagine the bump on my head & resulting black eye after that one. I had another massive hypo on 31st December that I needed help from others, lucky enough I wasn't on my feet when it was happening, so cane through unscathed but feeling extremely ill for a day or so. Just watch yourself and take care.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2.8 it was really weird as i didnt feel anything but above 3 i always feel it but under 3 i dont

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
sorry @Bill_Dundee but you are wrong-- meters are normally set between a low of 1.1 - 1.3 -- so if you get a reading of LO it is below those numbers.
they also normally have a high of around 27-30 before they start reading HI
if you have a look at the instruction leaflet in every set of strips it will tell you the range ( and accuracy) of the strips and meter you are using

I think you are confusing the meter ability to read a blood sugar reading with setting a personal preference for "in range" settings

Strange, was out having my tea when my freestyle libre read "LO" and then a few minutes later read 2.4

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @himtoo . The wife put me up against the radiator after hypoing and falling out of bed whilst she went for weetabix, she even wrapped duvet round me and pushed bed into my back so I couldn't move. Still think it's one of the funniest things we've done as a married couple. We often reminisce about the time she stuck me on the radiator.

Reactions: himtoo

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
How low have I been?
So scary for you. I feel your pain x

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
How low have I been?

Oh my, I hope I don't go that low :(

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Strange, was out having my tea when my freestyle libre read "LO" and then a few minutes later read 2.4
-- hopefully you treated quickly !!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my, I hope I don't go that low :(
This was many years ago on a very different insulin regime. Don't think the modern insulins cause such severe hypos. That's what I've found personally.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Lo. 1.2 has registered on my kit so below that I guess. Didn't feel any worse than any other number below 2. At that point an adrenaline rush and glucose release is happening either way so most of the times it doesn't feel as bad as higher numbers when it does occur.