Does drinking black coffee affect your BG?

Does drinking black coffee seem to affect your BG level?

• Yes. It seems to lower my BG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. It seems to raise my BG

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. It doesn't seem to affect my BG

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • I didn't pay any attention

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My wife Judith for the last few months has insisted that I drink herbal tea last thing at night rather than coffee has made no difference still have not had a full nights sleep for months now. BG not affected either.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have not noticed any difference by drinking black coffee in the morning. The first cup or two are what I call a heart starters with two spoons of Robert Timms granulated coffee in each of them with no sugar.

TeamGKB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink a coffee called slimroast and since starting it my Type 1 has had the best results since getting this back in 95. I was always a Yorkshire Tea man until I started this. Now I drink two cups a day lol.

I had given up on coffee since leaving the Army. I also drink 4 strawberry waters a day as well.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
All this sounds very complicated. I drink one coffee with cream at breakfast and occasionally another during the day if I go out. I don't think I have noticed any changes in my bg. Perhaps I don't drink enough coffee ?. I do drink about 4 or 5 cups of tea a day. Maybe I should try some Zero coke. Not been a fan of coke since my early days on a visit to a coca-cola factory and saw a large stack of carboys containing phosphoric acid. On enquiring what they use it for I was told "We put it in the cola" :***:

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife Judith for the last few months has insisted that I drink herbal tea last thing at night rather than coffee has made no difference still have not had a full nights sleep for months now. BG not affected either.
A recent discovery for me, to aid a good night's sleep, is Niacin. It's really the B3 vitamin, but is more widely known as Niacin.
Holland & Barrett sell 100 tablets of the non-flush version for £3.99.
I started it a month or two ago, followed shortly afterwards by my wife.
It definitely works for both of us.I take four, my wife three. I am also dreaming more.

**non-flush means it does NOT cause a flushing sensation which some find uncomfortable.The 'flush' variety has all the benefits of the non-flush, and in addition has cholesterol improving qualities**

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I worked in an NHS pathology lab and we took blood for a fasting glucose level we always interrogated the patient about fasting. We used to get answers like, "well I've only had a glass of orange juice" "I did have a couple of slices of toast" and "I've had a cup of coffee". The biochemists were adamant that coffee affected blood sugar levels and we had to tell the patient to go away and fast properly. The long post above from Thyroiddiabetic was exactly the reason, caffeine stimulates cortisol and cortisol affects blood sugar.

I'm T1 and drink quite a lot of black coffee, usually a cup for breakfast, nothing else until lunch. I switched from white coffee to black because it was raising my BG.

I have looked for the effect on my blood glucose but my Freestyle Libre shows nothing noticeable. And no difference on days when I don't drink coffee.

mekong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have cut back on everything that I used to have,so over a month I spread the diet that I use to have,coffee once a month along with all the rest that pushed my BG up,an kept a check on it all. Good luck be stress free,remember we all age,and the end nears.Sans WineSans SongSans End.

Thyroiddiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I noticed on a FB page I commented on that someone had remarked that they were much more sensitive to caffeine since being on metformin.Could be on to something?