Type 2 Spikes for a Dummy

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon I know I have been a member for just coming up to 4 months but I am struggling with understanding the meaning of spikes,what exactly are they,why are they important,and what is an acceptable spike level,surely we spike with whatever we eat to a certain extentot, are we not allowed to spike at all,my apologies to all of you for asking this question,but one of my grandchildren asked me and I didn't have much of an answer for her,I am not usually this dim but and I have tried to understand all about spikes,Thank you:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A spike is typically with reference to the highest peak of your blood glucose following a meal.

They are important (to avoid) because a spike is typically outside of your ideal BG range and time spent over and above the upper limit of that range increases the likelihood of damage to your body. Given that the average person will eat three meals per day, we can actually find that three 'spikes' can actually leave us with high blood glucose for a fair amount of time. Spike duration varies from person to person depending on many factors including diabetes type, age, weight and the foods consumed.

We all spike, it's an unavoidable issue. It can be reduced by many various means and methods.

To put it simply, any time outwith your target BG range can result in bodily damage. Limiting spikes helps to keep your BG in range longer and reduce the risk of diabetic complications.

Here's a list of diabetic complications, both short and long term:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetes-complications.html

And here's a bit of info about hyperglycaemia (which is more or less what a spike is). You can see from the article that "blood sugar levels exceeding 7 mmol/L for extended periods of time can start to cause damage to internal organs". That's why we want to avoid spikes:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

blood sugar levels exceeding 7 mmol/L for extended periods of time can start to cause damage to internal organs

I hope that answers your question?:)

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Spikes are the increase in your sugar levels from pre prandial (before food) and post pradial(after food) readings, spikes are generally used to describe a reading that it higher than expected or wanted.

You want to reduce the spiking so that you maintain a even and preferably low blood sugar level. I personally try and stay within a two point range from when I test prior to eating and when I retest two hours after eating.

Anything that causes my levels to rise above this point swill call my levels to "spike" and I am far less likely to eat that meal with any regularity.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon @GrantGam and @MaxRebo001 many thanks my friends :)

• Blood glucose levels greater than 7.0 mmol/L (126 mg/dl) when fasting
  • Blood glucose levels greater than 11.0 mmol/L (200 mg/dl) 2 hours after meals
Am I understanding this right
So if 2 hours after a meal my reading is less than 11.o mmol/L that would be alright and perfectly acceptable for me to eat that meal again

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

So if 2 hours after a meal my reading is less than 11.o mmol/L that would be alright and perfectly acceptable for me to eat that meal again

The NICE guidelines suggest - 4 to 7 mmol/L before meals and under 8.5 mmol/L after meals.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The NICE guidelines suggest - 4 to 7 mmol/L before meals and under 8.5 mmol/L after meals.

Good afternoon @miahara my friend I'm sorry I am a little dim but whatever meal I have eaten since being on a low carb diet has never spiked over 10 mmol and my fasting has always been between 4 and 5.7 ,so if my post 2 hour reading is always under 11 mmol does that mean that I can eat that particular meal and that is suitable for me.Thank you:)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@wiseowl_123 I'm not sure where you got the 11.0 mmol/L figure from but the guidelines for Type 2's are 8.5 2 hours after eating and I would consider 11.0 too high. What had you eaten to give you that number and is it something that you may be able to 'tweak' eg reduce the amount or substitute one of the constituents for something less 'carby'. Unfortunately being fairly newly diagnosed it's trial and error at this stage in that you will find that some foods will spike more than others but the only to find out is by testing. You never know you may have a pleasant surprise in that you find out you can eat something that you thought was 'off limits'!! Hope this helps

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I'm not sure where you got the 11.0 mmol/L figure from

Good afternoon @Daphne917 my friend and thank you It is in the link that @GrantGam kindly left for me in his previous post above:)

ps it was when I first started and had a large bowl of porridge and raspberries but now with your good advice I shall just try a smaller portion until I get it under 8.5 mmol.

So anything I eat if it reads under 8.5 mmol after two hours then I can safely eat that:)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to aim for under 8.5 after a meal @wiseowl_123 . Back in March my post evening meal averaged 11, but with careful management of diet I've now got it to 8.7 - still a bit high, but going in the right direction. I am meeting the target with post breakfast and post lunch as they are 8.22 and 8.0 - and all my rolling averages are still slowly falling week by week.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon @Daphne917 my friend and thank you It is in the link that @GrantGam kindly left for me in his previous post above:)

ps it was when I first started and had a large bowl of porridge and raspberries but now with your good advice I shall just try a smaller portion until I get it under 8.5 mmol.

So anything I eat if it reads under 8.5 mmol after two hours then I can safely eat that:)
Yes although there are some forum members who like to keep it lower but I don't get too concerned if I have the occasional 8.5.!! It's all down to experimentation at this stage so enjoy - in fact I'm still experimenting as I have found that there are some foods which used to give me a high reading I can now eat!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiseowl_123 I would recommend you stick to the NHS NICE targets that your GP uses and avoid going over 8.5 after eating.

I'm not sure about spikes causing damage/complications rather than what levels you are at most the time.

However if you are insulin resistant then spikes can lead to too much insulin which can lead to weight gain which may affect where you levels are most of the time. I think I have just confused my self

Can anyone point me to research on spikes?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon @miahara my friend many thanks I think it is slowly sinking in to my brain at last thank you everyone for your time and patience,very much appreciated:)

This is somewhat an experiment for me ,I was 5.8 before meal,I shall test at 1 hour and 2 hours:)

12.120pm Lunch 1 piece of lean steak (medium) broccoli.cauliflower,tiny portion og gravy and a spoonful of mash potato'

Pre meal 5.8 mmol
2 hour post meal 6.2 mmol

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah now I see why you are a bit confused @wiseowl_123 . The article you were reading was about hyperglycemia and I think you picked up the wrong end of the branch!

BTW those last readings of yours ARE EXCELLENT

What is hyperglycemia?
Hyperglycemia, the term for expressing high blood sugar, has been defined by the World Health Organisation as:

Reactions: wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @miahara much appreciated it doesn't take a lot to confuse me;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your fasting, pre-meal, and 2 hour post meal levels are fine. However, you may be "spiking" before the 2 hour mark, and by 2 hours be well on your way down. Personally, an 8.5 is far too high for me at any time. A 7 I can cope with around an hour or 90 minutes, but too high at 2 hours. My personal target range is 4 to 7.

Have you considered getting a Libre sensor? They are expensive, but well worth the outlay. The sensor sits on your arm and measures your glucose every 15 minutes for 24 hours a day for 2 weeks. You also get a reader with which you can scan the sensor at any time to get an instant reading. You can also download the stored logs to a computer and see all the 15 minute readings. One of these will show you whether you ever go above your own target levels and how long you are up there.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon @Bluetit1802 my friend many thanks for your lovely reply to my question,I will certainly consider what you have said,at the moment as I also have GAD which I am dealing with as soon as I have kicked that in to touch I will have a rethink,I did test at an hour and it read 8.0 so you are quite right,I have certainly learnt an awful lot to day and things are much clearer now, thanks to everyone's patience and friendly advice you are all special people,for that I say thank you my friends;)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

NO !!!!

I personally think from what I have read that 11 mmol is a far too high set level of spiking , if one has got ones numbers Down to a normal level of under 5.3-6.0 mmol before eating , a spike of more than 2 mmols would be far too high.. so then I would say that a spike uptill 7(8) mmoll as the max number would be acceptable...

here are some informations that are interesting if one does want to take controll of ones diabetes and try to avoid adding conditions/diseases :
(PLEASE READ ALL OF THE PAGE) :
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Last edited:

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon @Freema your post and sound advice are much appreciated my friend ,thank you:)

I was 6.2 before I had a lidle's roll topped with fresh raspberries just tested at 1 hour it reads 5.8 oh and I have just returned from a short walk with my best friend Penny(Jack Russel);)

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good afternoon had a Lidl's roll with fresh raspberries spread on top before roll 6.2 1 hour after roll was 5.8

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Good afternoon I know I have been a member for just coming up to 4 months but I am struggling with understanding the meaning of spikes,what exactly are they,why are they important,and what is an acceptable spike level,surely we spike with whatever we eat to a certain extentot, are we not allowed to spike at all,my apologies to all of you for asking this question,but one of my grandchildren asked me and I didn't have much of an answer for her,I am not usually this dim but and I have tried to understand all about spikes,Thank you:)

You're not a dummy, you're asking a very sensible question. *hug*

I'm not diabetic and I spike after carby meals. The difference is, my spike drops very quickly so doesn't affect my body. My pancreas produces the insulin required.