How much veg?

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Chia seeds are great. Good source of fibre and omega 3. A teaspoon is plenty. You can soak them first to make a gel. Add this to smoothies made from nut milks for an added boost.

Sprinkle on veges like asparagus too.

I eat a lot of vegetables. Normally aim for 2 cups. One of green leafy veg and one of others.

I went to a nutritionist to help me get my micro-nutrients right. Since I have been working with her energy levels have significantly improved.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I
Chia seeds are great. Good source of fibre and omega 3. A teaspoon is plenty. You can soak them first to make a gel. Add this to smoothies made from nut milks for an added boost.

Sprinkle on veges like asparagus too.

I eat a lot of vegetables. Normally aim for 2 cups. One of green leafy veg and one of others.

I went to a nutritionist to help me get my micro-nutrients right. Since I have been working with her energy levels have significantly improved.

2 cups per day or per meal?

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Normally 2 cups for dinner (leafy veg raw because spinach etc cools down to nothing).

I am for the same for lunch.

I don't always get there, that's my goal though.

I go for good variety and in season.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm utterly unimpressed by veg, only use it to flatter the plate or in a sauce for bolognaise, curry or chili. My digestive system works very well, touch wood, so I'll stick with almost no fruit and veg for now. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally 2 cups for dinner (leafy veg raw because spinach etc cools down to nothing).

I am for the same for lunch.

I don't always get there, that's my goal though.

I go for good variety and in season.
When I eat steamed veg they probably fit into 1/3 cup after steaming. Then about 1-1.5 cups salad greens. That's for dinner. Lunch is hardly any. Just enough celery or scallion for crunch. Occasionally on a piece of lettuce wrapped around my protein and fat but that's more so in summer. I love veggies but have to watch portions for my stomach and bs.

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I love cooking and have bookshelves full of cook books so experimenting with vege recipes is a creative outlet.

Veges are also a good vehicle for healthy fats like a variety of oils. Add nuts & seeds for an added boost.

I don't find that vegetables raise my bs levels enough to worry, nor do they give me stomach issues. If they do I'd consider looking at FODMAPS as a starting point.