AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DP hahahahahahaha!

Warning - for those of us who bustled off to Google DP, do not, under any circumstances click on images.

Returning to the subject at hand:
OK, so I have had crackslaw many times now. Usually by seeing an interesting idea like 'blue cheese crackslaw' and then winging it. So I suspect it is fair to say that I have bodged it. But there's never been a failure, and apart from Mr B sniggering every time we speak its name, crackslaw is welcome in our house.

But... can anyone explain why the DD crackslaw recipe is so blummin cumbersome? Fry off the cabbage, remove from pan, add mince to pan, fry off the mince, phaff with the spices, return cabbage to pan, fry off for 3 mins... honestly, what hassle!

I just got a big pan, added the mince, fried it off. Added spices. Stirred. Added cabbage til cooked, then dumped it and the cheese into a casserole, and bunged it in the oven. Half the washing up of the official DD version.

Am I missing something? Is there some awesome taste explosion that only ignites if we leave 3/4 cooked cabbage cooling on a plate for 10 mins while the rest of the dish tap dances in the pan?

OK, so I'm not doing DD, but if I want to have it loaded with cheese (sometimes I may have had a fair amount of cheese in the day, so don't want/need more), I'll do it all in an anodised aluminium saute pan, which has a stainless steel handle. When I do it that way, I just do as @Brunneria does, but then I just sprinle of lumks, or grated cheese over and whack it under a hot grill until I have the desired effect.

Crackslaw is one of the few things I never make enough for another time. I just make what will be eaten on the night, so hardly any washing up.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh r! 10pm and I'm down go 3.6 - weirdly I feel fine but am eating some grapes to bring it up.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i haven't looked at the images..... yet! We have small children visiting so probably not a good idea.

I didn't enjoy the crack slaw but wull give it another go when green cabbage is back in season. I've never much liked savoy and white cabbage just seemed wrong somehow.

Do NOT bother with the crispy coating of the jerk crispy chicken. Mr C followed the recipe exactly and the pork scratching coating mostly slid off during cooking. Next time I think I'd rub with oil and sprinkle over the jerk seasoning then bake. We had it with a 'superfoods' salad (mixed green leaves and shredded beetroot) and home made guacamole instead of coleslaw and we really enjoyed it. 2 hours later and my BG is 4.7. The guacamole was one avocado and half a tomato each plus olive oil, lime juice, coriander abd hot pepper sauce.
I dipped the jerk chicken in egg first and mixed the ground scratchings with some parmesan. Put it in the fridge for a while then repeated the process.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh r! 10pm and I'm down go 3.6 - weirdly I feel fine but am eating some grapes to bring it up.
The meter saga continues. I'll test again before I go to bed but I tested about 90 mins after dinner and the old meter was 8.6 the new one 6.4! Every single reading today has been within range but the old meter has more than 50% of them way over. I think I'm going to have to give up on the old meter even although I still have test strips as there is no consistency at all to how much it is over.
I'll do some heavy duty testing on Monday with the new meter and see if I can find out what is really happening with the delayed DP (can't help getting different pictures in my mind now)
Tomorrow is family feeding day. Saw James Martin making gin &tonic onion rings during the week - think I will make some for the family - I'll just have the gin and tonic .....or maybe one of the half bottles of prosecco I picked up at Sainsburys today. Do have some nice rib eye steaks though for tomorrow.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The meter saga continues. I'll test again before I go to bed but I tested about 90 mins after dinner and the old meter was 8.6 the new one 6.4! Every single reading today has been within range but the old meter has more than 50% of them way over. I think I'm going to have to give up on the old meter even although I still have test strips as there is no consistency at all to how much it is over.
I'll do some heavy duty testing on Monday with the new meter and see if I can find out what is really happening with the delayed DP (can't help getting different pictures in my mind now)
Tomorrow is family feeding day. Saw James Martin making gin &tonic onion rings during the week - think I will make some for the family - I'll just have the gin and tonic .....or maybe one of the half bottles of prosecco I picked up at Sainsburys today. Do have some nice rib eye steaks though for tomorrow.

I am so glad things are starting to make sense for you. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so glad things are starting to make sense for you. :)
I need it - this was driving me nuts as it did not make sense to have these readings when I was that low with carbs. Glad @Chook suggested testing on the new meter and the chemist for giving me a batch in advance of the test strips prescription. Nice meter too - sends you little messages.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I need it - this was driving me nuts as it did not make sense to have these readings when I was that low with carbs. Glad @Chook suggested testing on the new meter and the chemist for giving me a batch in advance of the test strips prescription. Nice meter too - sends you little messages.
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, especially as the same thing had happened to me but in reverse.

After that 3.6 I ate a few black grapes (gorgeous) and slowly brought my BG up to go to bed at 4.2. I had high hopes for this morning but woke up to a FBG of 6.8, despite having walnuts at bed time. I suppose Mr C is used to my weird ways but there was a lot of laughter from our guests at the idea of my bed time routine including munching on walnuts - hopefully they were laughing with me rather than at me though. After the laughter subsided they all looked a bit blank after I explained why I need to eat walnuts at bed time, then I realised they didn't know that I'm diabetic.

Well, today is a day for not doing the DD Challenge. I am, though, going to keep my food as low carb as possible without anyone noticing. We had baked fresh whole mackerel for breakfast (gorgeous - will definitely have again) and I didn't have any of the Morrisons Tiger Bread (my favourite) that everyone else was eating. I literally drooled as I cut it in to hunks and spread it with butter. I could so easily have stuffed some in my mouth and it took everything I've got to resist but BG at 2 hours was exactly the same as my FBG so no rise at all.

Dinner will be early today as guests need to get off at about 5pm - it will be a mega roast chicken dinner because everyone loves it and it was hard to find something that everyone would really enjoy.

I must admit, I didn't realise how difficult it would be to eat like this and have guests, especially as a couple of them have their own dietary requirements / preferences. I've drunk a several glasses of Prosecco in an effort to keep my BG down ;) Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

Reactions: Brunneria

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know why I didn't think of it before, especially as the same thing had happened to me but in reverse.

After that 3.6 I ate a few black grapes (gorgeous) and slowly brought my BG up to go to bed at 4.2. I had high hopes for this morning but woke up to a FBG of 6.8, despite having walnuts at bed time. I suppose Mr C is used to my weird ways but there was a lot of laughter from our guests at the idea of my bed time routine including munching on walnuts - hopefully they were laughing with me rather than at me though. After the laughter subsided they all looked a bit blank after I explained why I need to eat walnuts at bed time, then I realised they didn't know that I'm diabetic.

Well, today is a day for not doing the DD Challenge. I am, though, going to keep my food as low carb as possible without anyone noticing. We had baked fresh whole mackerel for breakfast (gorgeous - will definitely have again) and I didn't have any of the Morrisons Tiger Bread (my favourite) that everyone else was eating. I literally drooled as I cut it in to hunks and spread it with butter. I could so easily have stuffed some in my mouth and it took everything I've got to resist but BG at 2 hours was exactly the same as my FBG so no rise at all.

Dinner will be early today as guests need to get off at about 5pm - it will be a mega roast chicken dinner because everyone loves it and it was hard to find something that everyone would really enjoy.

I must admit, I didn't realise how difficult it would be to eat like this and have guests, especially as a couple of them have their own dietary requirements / preferences. I've drunk a several glasses of Prosecco in an effort to keep my BG down ;) Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great account of Low carb struggle. Could someone please tell me what I could eat to make up 120 carb perm day

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your best idea would be to get the Myfitnesspal app, its got the carb content of just about every food you can think of and you can, if you want, diarise what you eat and it adds up your carbs for you.

The other good website is dietdoctor.com - great for meal ideas for all different carb requirements. Then, of course, there is the low carb 'what have you eaten today' thread on the low carb forum on this website where people regularly set out their menus for the day - I have had LOADS of inspiration and ideas from that thread.

Reactions: Speedbird

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
End of my 3rd week VLC with the wonderful Diet Doctor recipes. I'm sticking with this because I love the food. Glad to say I've dropped another 1lb so that's 5lbs over 3 weeks and 23lbs since I got serious about this.
The meter thing flung me a bit but I am settling in with the new meter. The delayed DP is still very much there though.
After forgetting medication and getting caught up in other things yesterday I checked my carb intake from dinner and it gave me a total of 4g carbs for the day so I decided to have 2 Lotus Biscuits with my black Tea which added another 10g to the mix and I enjoyed them.
Went to bed on a 6.7 but got up this morning to an 8.4. Not too bothered though as Sunday's are not typical days. First I have a lie in , like to relax in bed and have a read. Next I have a leisurely shower and weigh myself. So it is usually about 11.30 am before I even think about coffee and a breakfast hence the 8.4 as that was my first test so it was probably well into the delayed DP (still can't shake the other thoughts) before I tested. Had a brunch - double yolk egg, 2 crispy bacon rashers, 2 Sainsburys gluten free pork chipolatas, 1 chestnut mushroom and some wilted spinach along with a nice coffee with cream . About 1 hr 40 later I was back at 7 and currently 5.2 (did I say something about struggling to get into the 5's again).
As I said yesterday I think I have to give up on the old meter as this morning I couldn't help myself and it said 8.5 which is pretty darn close to the 8.4 yet my current 5.2 it reckons I'm 7.8. I would have dearly liked to use up these strips but I cannot deal with these wayward readings.
No lunch today - just had a coffee but will have my regular campari and soda and I've put a half bottle of Prosecco in the fridge instead of my regular mini bottle. Dinner will be Airfried chicken wings with a suitable dip then a nice juicy rib eye with mushrooms , spinach and curried roasted cauliflower (your menu brought it back to mind @Chook). Might even splash out and make aubergine chips as I managed to get the last one in Sainsburys yesterday - they were clean out of lettuce though but I still have some. Only variation for the others is they will have chips which hubby has just blanched and a dessert of sticky toffee pudding which I have never liked anyway. Was going to make the Diet Doctor bearnaise but I fancy just plain old mustard with the steak.
So I agree Chook the alcohol will keep my liver busy tomorrow morning so it will be Tuesday no doubt before I get a more accurate picture.
So another 1 lb gone , I am in the 5's and it is only 1 more week to mid term holidays and a break from getting up in the dark. Next week I am going to construct my own DD meal plan. Tomorrow will be the frittata as I've stocked up on eggs again.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
End of my 3rd week VLC with the wonderful Diet Doctor recipes. I'm sticking with this because I love the food. Glad to say I've dropped another 1lb so that's 5lbs over 3 weeks and 23lbs since I got serious about this.
The meter thing flung me a bit but I am settling in with the new meter. The delayed DP is still very much there though.
After forgetting medication and getting caught up in other things yesterday I checked my carb intake from dinner and it gave me a total of 4g carbs for the day so I decided to have 2 Lotus Biscuits with my black Tea which added another 10g to the mix and I enjoyed them.
Went to bed on a 6.7 but got up this morning to an 8.4. Not too bothered though as Sunday's are not typical days. First I have a lie in , like to relax in bed and have a read. Next I have a leisurely shower and weigh myself. So it is usually about 11.30 am before I even think about coffee and a breakfast hence the 8.4 as that was my first test so it was probably well into the delayed DP (still can't shake the other thoughts) before I tested. Had a brunch - double yolk egg, 2 crispy bacon rashers, 2 Sainsburys gluten free pork chipolatas, 1 chestnut mushroom and some wilted spinach along with a nice coffee with cream . About 1 hr 40 later I was back at 7 and currently 5.2 (did I say something about struggling to get into the 5's again).
As I said yesterday I think I have to give up on the old meter as this morning I couldn't help myself and it said 8.5 which is pretty darn close to the 8.4 yet my current 5.2 it reckons I'm 7.8. I would have dearly liked to use up these strips but I cannot deal with these wayward readings.
No lunch today - just had a coffee but will have my regular campari and soda and I've put a half bottle of Prosecco in the fridge instead of my regular mini bottle. Dinner will be Airfried chicken wings with a suitable dip then a nice juicy rib eye with mushrooms , spinach and curried roasted cauliflower (your menu brought it back to mind @Chook). Might even splash out and make aubergine chips as I managed to get the last one in Sainsburys yesterday - they were clean out of lettuce though but I still have some. Only variation for the others is they will have chips which hubby has just blanched and a dessert of sticky toffee pudding which I have never liked anyway. Was going to make the Diet Doctor bearnaise but I fancy just plain old mustard with the steak.
So I agree Chook the alcohol will keep my liver busy tomorrow morning so it will be Tuesday no doubt before I get a more accurate picture.
So another 1 lb gone , I am in the 5's and it is only 1 more week to mid term holidays and a break from getting up in the dark. Next week I am going to construct my own DD meal plan. Tomorrow will be the frittata as I've stocked up on eggs again.

Well done!! So it was YOU that has had all the aubergines !!! :) :)

There wasn't one to be had in this area yesterday. I heard a rumour that Asda had some but when my lovely neighbour popped in to get me some they has sold out. :( I was hoping to have that lovely aubergine dip for lunch today but got some houmous and deli meats and the rest of the guacamole instead. And then, after all that, I wasn't hungry so didn't eat anything.

I did have the honour of introducing a few people to foods they haven't tried before - which was interesting. :)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done!! So it was YOU that has had all the aubergines !!! :) :)

There wasn't one to be had in this area yesterday. I heard a rumour that Asda had some but when my lovely neighbour popped in to get me some they has sold out. :( I was hoping to have that lovely aubergine dip for lunch today but got some houmous and deli meats and the rest of the guacamole instead. And then, after all that, I wasn't hungry so didn't eat anything.

I did have the honour of introducing a few people to foods they haven't tried before - which was interesting. :)
My prize is now ready to cook as chips - the other half is reserved for tomorrow on case I can't find lettuce. Got plenty spinach now though.

Reactions: Chook

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your best idea would be to get the Myfitnesspal app, its got the carb content of just about every food you can think of and you can, if you want, diarise what you eat and it adds up your carbs for you.

The other good website is dietdoctor.com - great for meal ideas for all different carb requirements. Then, of course, there is the low carb 'what have you eaten today' thread on the low carb forum on this website where people regularly set out their menus for the day - I have had LOADS of inspiration and ideas from that thread.

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Chook. Maybe app is only in UK so will haven to stick to forum ideas. Aubergine chips sound wonderful. Will venture out today to buy aubergine.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Chook. Maybe app is only in UK so will haven to stick to forum ideas. Aubergine chips sound wonderful. Will venture out today to buy aubergine.

Where are you? I know the MyFitnessPal app is available in the US because a lot of the foods they have in their database are American.

Good luck with finding aubergine, we have a national shortage in the UK due to poor growing conditions in Spain.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well - shock - at the end of my first week of the Diet Doctor Challenge I have lost (drum roll please) two pounds! This is great for me as years and years of yoyo dieting has ruined my ability to lose weight (doesn't stop me putting it on though). AND I lost more this week than I did in the previous two weeks of 800 calorie blood sugar diet added together.

In fact it might be a little more than 2 lbs because the scales are flashing up and down between the 10 and the 9 but I've recorded it as the higher number.

Today, for me, is the chicken skewers recipe for dinner. I just don't much feel like celeriac fries which is what the meal plan puts with it.

I had the DD seed porridge at breakfast and will, as planned, have an avocado for lunch.

I've just been trying to book an appointment with the doctor - the first appointment I can get is in 3 weeks. I then tried to book an appointment with the DN as she keeps sending me reminder letters.... FIVE weeks wait. :banghead:

FBG of 6.3 this morning which has been pretty stable for the last couple of weeks - the interesting thing is what happens between now and late morning. It's definitely a food thing because it didn't rise at all after yesterday's mackerel breakfast.

Edited to add:
9.10 - BG has risen to 7.8 - so the seed breakfast, lovely as it is, doesn't have the same affect as a plate full of baked mackerel.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - shock - at the end of my first week of the Diet Doctor Challenge I have lost (drum roll please) two pounds! This is great for me as years and years of yoyo dieting has ruined my ability to lose weight (doesn't stop me putting it on though). AND I lost more this week than I did in the previous two weeks of 800 calorie blood sugar diet added together.

In fact it might be a little more than 2 lbs because the scales are flashing up and down between the 10 and the 9 but I've recorded it as the higher number.

Today, for me, is the chicken skewers recipe for dinner. I just don't much feel like celeriac fries which is what the meal plan puts with it.

I had the DD seed porridge at breakfast and will, as planned, have an avocado for lunch.

I've just been trying to book an appointment with the doctor - the first appointment I can get is in 3 weeks. I then tried to book an appointment with the DN as she keeps sending me reminder letters.... FIVE weeks wait. :banghead:

FBG of 6.3 this morning which has been pretty stable for the last couple of weeks - the interesting thing is what happens between now and late morning. It's definitely a food thing because it didn't rise at all after yesterday's mackerel breakfast.

Oh @Chook that is the most FABULOUS news!
I'm not expecting anything like such a momentous shift, partly because I have effectively had 2 days out in the middle of the week where we ate less-than-VLowCarb due to the situation.

But I am so happy for you.

I haven't totted up exactly how many g of carbs there are in the 1st week of menus, but I suspect (depending on veg portions, skipping unwanted meals, and so on) that they could easily be well under 20g carbs. Sometimes under 10g! That isn't something I have ever achieved while writing my own menus and shopping lists. Usually due to the odd sneaky square of 70% choc! ;)

Voleck and Phinney state very clearly in their Art And Science Of Low Carb Living that some people (usually women, usually the ones with metabolisms messed up with previous low cal, and maybe with hormone issues too) need to be 20g or less to lose weight, and may need to stay at 20g or less permanently after that.

Not a thought that has ever cheered me up, and I have never claimed to be consistently under 20g for more than a day or two at a time.

This DD thing is the first time I have even entertained the thought that this might be sustainable.

Last edited: