Type 1s Test Strips Prescription amount?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If 100 is fairly par for the course no problem, I'll probably just have to get myself some spare containers I know they're quite expensive.

NICE guidelines say type 1 diabetics should be supported to test 10 times a day or more if necessary.

I have 300 on my repeat. It's a use as needed repeat so no time limit on how long they need to last. I'm completely hypo unaware and regularly exercise, so I do fall into the more is necessary bit. I was fed up at putting in a repeat prescription twice a month so I just stuck a note on my repeat asking for it to be increased to 300 at once to reduce the admin burden of diabetes for me and my GP.

There's no need for you to be buying spares - you have them on your repeat you can just request your repeat more frequently as you've had it confirmed it'll be authorised.

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think most doctors give 100 a month as long as they are happy to give you more when you run out x

TallGiraffe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get two packs of 50 each prescription, end up using them in 2-3 weeks. I asked a nurse if I could increase to 4 packs a few years ago and her response was that due to cost cutting she I wouldn't be allowed 4 packs....makes no sense as it just means I will put in a repeat prescription twice as much! Maybe I should ask again, My partner gets 4 packs each time, jealous :p

Reactions: db89

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
None, GP supplies me with repeat of test strip (for bayer contour usb) as it's the only one they supply, take it to chemist, they don't supply it even though they are both linked and next door to each other. The chemist then refer me to the hospital to get a new meter, but the GP surgery does not accept it onto their system, then I have to talk to the chemist again, they don't supply the test strips no matter what. An endless cycle so I have not tested since before christmas.

Can you not take your prescription to a different pharmacy like Boots as they're more likely to supply a wide range of strips?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None, GP supplies me with repeat of test strip (for bayer contour usb) as it's the only one they supply, take it to chemist, they don't supply it even though they are both linked and next door to each other. The chemist then refer me to the hospital to get a new meter, but the GP surgery does not accept it onto their system, then I have to talk to the chemist again, they don't supply the test strips no matter what. An endless cycle so I have not tested since before christmas.

That has to be escalated, as that's shocking.

If you drive, that's incredibly serious, and even if you don't, how are you supposed to manange your condition, blindfolded, with your hands behind your back?

Quite shocking!

I'd be calling the Consultant, or their Secretary, this morning.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know if the Contour Next USB (meter supplied by the GP) test strips have been discontinued or not? i'm convinced the other chemist near me would have them but would not supply them unless they were clearly stated on the prescription, also i'm not willing to travel 5 miles to the hospital every time to get my prescription changed for a new meter and their test strips which the GP insists they will not have on their system. My GP is one of those ignorant types who just won't listen to what I say, so not sure what I can do at this point, maybe change GP or something

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get 250 a time (5 pots). My DSN wrote to my GP before I went in my pump to increase the amount. @nmr1991 - that's awful. Hope u get it sorted

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 and used to get 200 every 28 days which was adequate but I used the contour next which I found excellent. Then health board ( Lanarkshire) said they were too expensive and gave me a true you meter. It's rubbish doesn't allow me to add insulin or carbs, adjust whether before or after meals and takes ages to register a blood sample. So I have ended up going back to my original meter and funding the strips myself. eBay is a good source provided they are in date and not "sold out of the tub " to save postage which I saw too!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Anyone know if the Contour Next USB (meter supplied by the GP) test strips have been discontinued or not? i'm convinced the other chemist near me would have them but would not supply them unless they were clearly stated on the prescription, also i'm not willing to travel 5 miles to the hospital every time to get my prescription changed for a new meter and their test strips which the GP insists they will not have on their system. My GP is one of those ignorant types who just won't listen to what I say, so not sure what I can do at this point, maybe change GP or something
No they're not discontinued. Maybe just a shortage in your area for some reason.

I use 1 tub every 3 to 4 days and have 6 tubs on repeat.

Regards

Martin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have 200 at a time can order as often as I want, GP has written PRN on the script :)