cold and feel unwell

pugster75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've got this horrible cold, cough lurgy that everyone has got. I've reasonably new to the diabetes thing and was told not to take remedies as they ate full of sugar and can cause problems. I used to drink orange juice at the first sign of a cold but cant even do that now. I feel awful, tired and fed up. My bg are all over the place and I'm off my food. Anyone got any advice as to how to get me better?

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I'm not a doctor but when I feel fluish I take paracetamol rather than lemsip or equivalent which can affect my BG. Also I buy a separate anticongestant eg a nose spray if the cold is really bad.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've got this horrible cold, cough lurgy that everyone has got. I've reasonably new to the diabetes thing and was told not to take remedies as they ate full of sugar and can cause problems. I used to drink orange juice at the first sign of a cold but cant even do that now. I feel awful, tired and fed up. My bg are all over the place and I'm off my food. Anyone got any advice as to how to get me better?

Hi @pugster75,

Sorry to hear about your cold. I hope you feel better soon.

Did you try chicken soup? You could also throw in some vegetables such as brokkoli, zucchini, tomatoes and mushrooms. Spice it it up with galgant (or ginger), curry and sambal oelek (or chili), a bit of lime and Chinese five-spice.

Some claim the zinc in the soup helps with the cold. At the very least it should warm you up from the inside.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when i get cough medicine I tell the chemist I want sugar free cough medicine because I'm a type 1 diabetic. manufactures name Robitussin Chesty Cough Medicine £ 3.47p ( SUGAR FREE )

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Paracetamols are the best, and if you visit the pharmacy they will show you the sugar free varieties.