Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my pal has got kidney leaking protein
his last readig was 51 or 5.1
is that serious he 76
metformin ramiprill gliclacide blucofage hope spelling is corrct
thanks for any info
ok now how does he know this figure must be going to a clinic or hospital at that gents age he will possible have got to kidney dept if he is struggling may be referred to a spec clinic
vic hill long while on insulin 10 years kidney trans plant

henryshenrys

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
he got the news from doc some time ago
he said 51 was ok
my pal thinks that is low
what tabs would help

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@henryshenrys if it were my friend, I'd ask to see the lab report so I'd know exactly what he's referring to. Once I have access to the report, I'll know 1) name of the test, 2) the result, and 3) what the normal range is for that specific lab test. Then I can begin to research online the lab test result and drugs he's taking to see if there's a relationship.

In the USA, if you know exactly what medications he's taking with correct spellings, pharmacists sometimes can tell you if any of the medications or possibly combinations of the medications could be contributing to the problem. That is if there is the problem. The doctor may be right or wrong. Never hurts to do your own research.

I find that by doing this, I'm then able to go back to the doctor with more informed questions.

You're a good friend. :)

Last edited:

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The 51 is his latest Hb1ac?

The second thing to find out is what the protein in his urine was measured as, this will help gage where the damage is at.

There are other kidney function tests too. It is possible to have microalbumuria (the lowest levels of protein leaking) and normal kidney function.

Uncontrolled bs levels and also high blood pressure is often the cause of damage to the kidneys (can be other things too, but in someone with diabetes these are the two things they will look to control).

Reactions: Freema

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If 51 is the kidney result and your friend was a 60 year old female I would say it is too low. I only know that because my hospital asked me loads of questions about kidney function a year ago and that is the area I have focused by questions to the gp about. The only response I have got is "anything above 60 is good". I have not told been told my figure -despite asking. I do not know if the figure changes for gender, age or anything else. Especially I do not know what a kidney leaking protein means. I am however doing the future learn course on making sense of health evidence. Week 2 came on line this morning with a list of good sources for information. I think you may still be able to join in. The PDF is on section 2.4 (week 2 step 4). Thank you for caring

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If 51 is the kidney result and your friend was a 60 year old female I would say it is too low. I only know that because my hospital asked me loads of questions about kidney function a year ago and that is the area I have focused by questions to the gp about. The only response I have got is "anything above 60 is good". I have not told been told my figure -despite asking. I do not know if the figure changes for gender, age or anything else. Especially I do not know what a kidney leaking protein means. I am however doing the future learn course on making sense of health evidence. Week 2 came on line this morning with a list of good sources for information. I think you may still be able to join in. The PDF is on section 2.4 (week 2 step 4). Thank you for caring
future learn link https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/informed-health-consumer/5/todo/9433

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that link covknit. I might just sign up now that I've looked at it. :)

In the USA, we are given access to all lab test and imaging results today. However, that's not always been true. I remember in the late 1960's that my mother had to promise her pharmacist that she would not tell her doctor that he gave her access to his Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), a huge reference book that provides detailed information on all drugs. We've come a long way here in 50 years.

I did a review of my printed medical records last week and was surprised to see that I'd actually had some testing, that I've wanted done for some time, done 15 years ago, and some of it again six years ago. It's helpful to have that medical history.

I, like you, want to know my lab results. :)

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that link covknit. I might just sign up now that I've looked at it. :)

In the USA, we are given access to all lab test and imaging results today. However, that's not always been true. I remember in the late 1960's that my mother had to promise her pharmacist that she would not tell her doctor that he gave her access to his Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), a huge reference book that provides detailed information on all drugs. We've come a long way here in 50 years.

I did a review of my printed medical records last week and was surprised to see that I'd actually had some testing, that I've wanted done for some time, done 15 years ago, and some of it again six years ago. It's helpful to have that medical history.

I, like you, want to know my lab results. :)

I have only done a couple of these courses but I have found them very understandable and informative. i have signed up for the demystifing diabetes starting on march 6 https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/demystifying-diabetes but there are a couple of hundred different ones so something for everyone.

Reactions: Winnie53