Head in the sand syndrome

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi all, I dip in and out of the forum regularly and kid myself on that I'm doing everything right.......who am I kidding!!

I've been type 2 for over 5 years now. Had good control in the beginning when the fear factor was there but it has gradually gone now. I know all the things I should be doing (could probably write a book lol) but just can't seem to get the willpower and motivation to do it. Also need to lose some weight too. A big birthday in July this year so I keep telling myself I need to get in shape for that and hoping it gives me inspiration......but it doesn't!
I think my main problem is snacking, in fact no my main problem is chocolate!!! I really do think I'm addicted to it. I keep trying to cut it down or cut it out but fail miserably. The canteen and vending machines at work would be running at a loss without me. I have the testing equipment and go through spells of testing, but only when I've been reasonably good. Because I feel fine then I think I am fine. However, after someone asked me today when I last tested I decided maybe it's time I did a random test........17.3!!! I wish I felt ill with those figures and it would maybe spur me on. It did give me a fright but I know by tomorrow I'll have forgotten about it. I always vow to be good but it never lasts.
Sorry for going on but not really sure what I want from on here. Probably reassurance that I'm not alone and hopefully some advice on how to combat things and change it around. I'm not depressed or comfort eating. I'm generally in a good place with life so really don't have any justifiable excuses. Ideally I'd like to buy some willpower and motivation from Amazon!
Is there anyone else out there with their head in the sand like me? Just plodding on, knowing I'm diabetic but insisting "it's only one - it can't do any harm".

Oh and I do buy the moser Roth bars from aldi......hide them in a cupboard......taking out one bar at a time.....and the whole packet is finished that evening.

My other half is brilliant and very supportive but he is really worried about my eating habits. When he mentions it I just laugh it off and insist I'm fine. I want to change for myself but also for him. He has enough stress at work without worrying about me as well.

Reading this back to myself I know I sound pathetic and probably just need a kick up the proverbial..........

But any help or advice or opinions or experience of feeling the same would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I look forward to receiving your replies
Hi, I am type 1 so can manage a bit of chocolate after lunch or a meal because I can alter my insulin, but was thinking of things that might help you. Why don't you try & really focus on your big birthday coming up & try & keep the motivation from this, how good you will feel when you get there. Try & focus on other options/distractions rather than chocolate, easier said than done though I know. Best of luck x

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
-My incentive was the GP telling me that we had run out of otions, and a referral to the local hospital for Insulin Training, I have a major NO NO on this since my mother was T1D and died from complications. I somehow associate insulin as the last train to Clarksville. So I pleaded my case, amd we ended up with my GP supplying me with test strips on the strict understanding that if my HbA1c did not improve in 3 months then I would go on insulin without a whimper. We both kept our words for the last year, and I have found a comfortable lifestyle (LCHF) that I can sustain, and I became quite anal over testing (as others on the forum will attest) But its saved me...I have a goal and a feedback mechsnism that has allowed me to reduce my meds and still meet my GP's 'resolved' accolade. The key is in the testing, and diet control that is simple to operate, and I now live day to day. Some days I fall off the waggon, most days I manage to do it right, I have a BMI of 21 again, and I lost 4" off my waistline. I had a holiday over XMAS, but back on the waggon again now. My bgl average only rose 2 mmol/l after a week of bingeing, so I most certainly am seeing some remission in that my insulin resistance seems to have recovered a bit,

So it is worth persevering with the battle, I send a hug and hope you find a way forward that works for you.
I did that too last year. Not to prevent going on insulin though just to prevent increasing the meds to those that can cause hypos. Got my hba1c down from 88 to 70 but that was with the help of canagliflozin. But psychologically it made things worse for me as in my mind I can eat more and the tablet takes care of it. I'm well aware that's the wrong way of looking at it but my mind won't listen to my brain lol

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did that too last year. Not to prevent going on insulin though just to prevent increasing the meds to those that can cause hypos. Got my hba1c down from 88 to 70 but that was with the help of canagliflozin. But psychologically it made things worse for me as in my mind I can eat more and the tablet takes care of it. I'm well aware that's the wrong way of looking at it but my mind won't listen to my brain lol
Oh, it's SO annoying when your mind seems to have an opinion of it's own and just won't listen to you telling it 'No' but what a challenge!!!

Think how good you would feel if you told your mind to 'p-off and get real' ;) Go on, dare you ....... ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and Oldvatr

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that's my second day of telling my mind to p off! I've had no chocolate today again. Weekends are generally easier as I tend to struggle more when at work (an office job). But my bg when I can home from work was 10.3 when all I've eaten today is cereal this morning and lentil soup at lunch time. I was hoping to tackle the chocolate addiction first and then the carbs. Looks like I'll need to do both at the same time. Had gammon steak and veg for dinner. Just need to get through the evening without an attack of the munchies.......I really fancy something nice.......

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you tried greek yoghurt with a teaspoon of honey, i've found that it hardly causes any rise in levels, i have about 85g of fage total full fat yoghurt, gives just a little bit of sweetness and keeps the choccy monster at bay

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried greek yoghurt with a teaspoon of honey, i've found that it hardly causes any rise in levels, i have about 85g of fage total full fat yoghurt, gives just a little bit of sweetness and keeps the choccy monster at bay
I thought honey would be a definite no........and the Greek yoghurt on it's own is horrible. I must try that. Thank you

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is going to sound weird. Have you tried adding cream to the yoghurt? I'm assuming you aren't using the low fat yoghurt as that really does taste rubbish and you feel hungry within minutes. I checked my BG after cereals and was horrified when a really small portion of mini wheats (no added sugar) made my BG shoot up. I have a couple of spoons of Fage full fat yogurt with a teaspoon of double cream. sometimes I add a few seeds or nuts but not always. My BG levels are way better within 6 weeks.

Reactions: Prem51

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is going to sound weird. Have you tried adding cream to the yoghurt? I'm assuming you aren't using the low fat yoghurt as that really does taste rubbish and you feel hungry within minutes. I checked my BG after cereals and was horrified when a really small portion of mini wheats (no added sugar) made my BG shoot up. I have a couple of spoons of Fage full fat yogurt with a teaspoon of double cream. sometimes I add a few seeds or nuts but not always. My BG levels are way better within 6 weeks.
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like cream lol. But nuts and seeds are good ideas. Thanks. I'm struggling with breakfast ideas as I don't like eggs either.......unless hard boiled with toast, which defeats the purpose.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like cream lol. But nuts and seeds are good ideas. Thanks. I'm struggling with breakfast ideas as I don't like eggs either.......unless hard boiled with toast, which defeats the purpose.
Have you tried berries with your yoghurt? I have Greek Yoghurt with berries and a spoon of granola to give it a bit of body for b/fast and some greek yoghurt with berries with my lunch. If I've not got fresh berries I have some frozen cherries, blueberries and strawberries in the freezer which I heat up in the microwave and mash it to make a rough coolie.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm struggling with breakfast ideas as I don't like eggs either.......unless hard boiled with toast, which defeats the purpose.

I buy some slices of ham from the deli counter and have a slice with two of those slices of cheese in packets, roll it up and there you have a ham and cheese roll. Very low carb but keeps me going till mid afternoon :)

Well done for all your recent effort. Sounds like you're make great inroads :)

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have found it so useful. You are brave to admit your problems. They sound just like mine. I am trying very hard at the moment and hope and pray that I can keep it up. I have found it much easier to go very low carb. It seems to get rid of a lot of the cravings. I send you very best wishes. Thanks again for your honesty.

Reactions: Prem51

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have found it so useful. You are brave to admit your problems. They sound just like mine. I am trying very hard at the moment and hope and pray that I can keep it up. I have found it much easier to go very low carb. It seems to get rid of a lot of the cravings. I send you very best wishes. Thanks again for your honesty.
Thanks @comfort. I'm glad my thread has helped you. It's been a really great support to me. Everyone on here is so kind and helpful. I started off with good intentions after reading all the comments. I've had no chocolate since Wednesday (a record for me). I've been really trying to watch what I'm eating and my readings are gradually coming down (was 17.3 on Wednesday night). However, when I came home tonight and tested I was up at 9 which surprised me as all I've eaten is Greek yoghurt with a spoonful of granola for breakfast, home made vegetable soup (no broth mix in it) at lunchtime and some fruit and nuts for snacks. I get to this stage and think where's the point.......I've had lower readings on the days when I've had chocolate!! I have totalled my carbs and it's 94 so far and I feel as if I've hardly eaten anything. It amazes me how people can go really low carb

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chocoholicnomore hello. Are you keeping track of your food? Your carbs and your calories? I use my fitness pal.com which I find really helpful for keeping me on track.

dipsydo

Well 9 is much better than 17 so congratulate yourself as well as avoiding chocolate.. you are going in the right direction. I know it can be disappointing when you think you have been good and you either feel hungry or think you have not got the results you want. I know that I would feel hungry on what you said you had and it also would not give good results ,but we are all different.

Soup can sometime be a poor option and sometimes not very satisfying . Also low carb and high fat makes you feel a bit fuller than just low carb. I see that that you shop at Lidl sometime( as you like their chocolate bars ) so have their high protein roll ( with butter ) with a boiled egg at breakfast ? Also what fruit are you eating?Berries are the ones to eat although fresh are expensive at this time of year frozen are not so expensive and could be eaten with full fat proper yogurt. Other fruits can use a carb allowance very quickly. If you can test before and then 2 hrs after a meal you can see which foods are pushing up your results. Once you know what causes the higher blood sugar you can try and avoid and what you like which delivers the results you want.
Hope this helps

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The thing to remember with diabetes is that controlling your levels is not as simple as controlling what you eat, i've eaten the same foods at the same time for a week in the past and my readings varied greatly for day to day, I started my low carbing again on the 27th December 2016, and it's taken a good 2 weeks at least to get to a lowish level and at least another two to stabalise to some degree, but it can still vary, whilst a lot of the time my readings are consitantly between 5 and 6, ive gone as low as 3.4 and as high as 11, the 11 was the day after a very low carb/calorie day. I also find it beneficial to eat small more regular meals, but again this isn't consistant, I do know however if I dont eat for a prolonged period i'm almost certain to get a higher reading than normal.

I know sleep patterns, stress etc can all affect levels, when I have a bout of insomnia i'm lucky if i can keep my levels below 15.

Try not to get too disheartened, even the most well behaved diabetic will have off days apparently for no reason, which is probably down to the fact that whilst we may share similar symptons, they can affect us all differently. It's certainly a disease that can keep you on your toes.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@chocoholicnomore hello. Are you keeping track of your food? Your carbs and your calories? I use my fitness pal.com which I find really helpful for keeping me on track.
I used to use my fitness pal but felt it was geared more to calories rather than carbs so I gave up with it. I just use paper and pen now

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well 9 is much better than 17 so congratulate yourself as well as avoiding chocolate.. you are going in the right direction. I know it can be disappointing when you think you have been good and you either feel hungry or think you have not got the results you want. I know that I would feel hungry on what you said you had and it also would not give good results ,but we are all different.

Soup can sometime be a poor option and sometimes not very satisfying . Also low carb and high fat makes you feel a bit fuller than just low carb. I see that that you shop at Lidl sometime( as you like their chocolate bars ) so have their high protein roll ( with butter ) with a boiled egg at breakfast ? Also what fruit are you eating?Berries are the ones to eat although fresh are expensive at this time of year frozen are not so expensive and could be eaten with full fat proper yogurt. Other fruits can use a carb allowance very quickly. If you can test before and then 2 hrs after a meal you can see which foods are pushing up your results. Once you know what causes the higher blood sugar you can try and avoid and what you like which delivers the results you want.
Hope this helps
Thanks dipsydo. Maybe soup was a bad idea but I've made a huge pot to last all week lol. My fruit has been apples, bananas and clementines. I realise they are higher in carbs than berries but are healthier than chocolate. My mentality is if chocolate has same amount of carbs then I'm as well just having it instead so I'm trying to change my thinking and gradually wean myself off the chocolate. I know testing is the answer but it's not always convenient or possible.........plus I tend to forget 2 hours later and have moved on to eating something else

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing to remember with diabetes is that controlling your levels is not as simple as controlling what you eat, i've eaten the same foods at the same time for a week in the past and my readings varied greatly for day to day, I started my low carbing again on the 27th December 2016, and it's taken a good 2 weeks at least to get to a lowish level and at least another two to stabalise to some degree, but it can still vary, whilst a lot of the time my readings are consitantly between 5 and 6, ive gone as low as 3.4 and as high as 11, the 11 was the day after a very low carb/calorie day. I also find it beneficial to eat small more regular meals, but again this isn't consistant, I do know however if I dont eat for a prolonged period i'm almost certain to get a higher reading than normal.

I know sleep patterns, stress etc can all affect levels, when I have a bout of insomnia i'm lucky if i can keep my levels below 15.

Try not to get too disheartened, even the most well behaved diabetic will have off days apparently for no reason, which is probably down to the fact that whilst we may share similar symptons, they can affect us all differently. It's certainly a disease that can keep you on your toes.
You're so right @MaxRebo001. I guess I'm very impatient and if I don't see quick results then I don't see the point and revert back to my old ways. I've been binge eating tonight on fruit(never thought I'd say that lol) as I never bought any chocolate or biscuits this weekend when I did my weekly shop. I'd already decided to buy chocolate at work tomorrow (to cheer myself up) but after reading your post I've changed my mind. Thank you. That's me had 5 full days with no chocolate and I'm really struggling but I will try to give it longer. I'll just write off tonight as a blip

Bushers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ate loads of chocolate when younger and, although type 2 is in the family, it probably made it quicker for me to become diabetic. I know how hard it is to cut back on something you love, especially seeing you have no symptoms after a chocolate bar. If you were allergic to chocolate it would make cutting it out easier. Think of your body as your home and diabetes as something eating away at the foundations. Because the foundations are underground you won't see any difference to your home, until eventually it is too late and your home collapses. You might not see the effect for a while but healthy eating and lifestyle will keep the foundations stronger.

Reactions: daisyduck

janemarie71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I dip in and out of the forum regularly and kid myself on that I'm doing everything right.......who am I kidding!!

I've been type 2 for over 5 years now. Had good control in the beginning when the fear factor was there but it has gradually gone now. I know all the things I should be doing (could probably write a book lol) but just can't seem to get the willpower and motivation to do it. Also need to lose some weight too. A big birthday in July this year so I keep telling myself I need to get in shape for that and hoping it gives me inspiration......but it doesn't!
I think my main problem is snacking, in fact no my main problem is chocolate!!! I really do think I'm addicted to it. I keep trying to cut it down or cut it out but fail miserably. The canteen and vending machines at work would be running at a loss without me. I have the testing equipment and go through spells of testing, but only when I've been reasonably good. Because I feel fine then I think I am fine. However, after someone asked me today when I last tested I decided maybe it's time I did a random test........17.3!!! I wish I felt ill with those figures and it would maybe spur me on. It did give me a fright but I know by tomorrow I'll have forgotten about it. I always vow to be good but it never lasts.
Sorry for going on but not really sure what I want from on here. Probably reassurance that I'm not alone and hopefully some advice on how to combat things and change it around. I'm not depressed or comfort eating. I'm generally in a good place with life so really don't have any justifiable excuses. Ideally I'd like to buy some willpower and motivation from Amazon!
Is there anyone else out there with their head in the sand like me? Just plodding on, knowing I'm diabetic but insisting "it's only one - it can't do any harm".

Oh and I do buy the moser Roth bars from aldi......hide them in a cupboard......taking out one bar at a time.....and the whole packet is finished that evening.

My other half is brilliant and very supportive but he is really worried about my eating habits. When he mentions it I just laugh it off and insist I'm fine. I want to change for myself but also for him. He has enough stress at work without worrying about me as well.

Reading this back to myself I know I sound pathetic and probably just need a kick up the proverbial..........

But any help or advice or opinions or experience of feeling the same would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I look forward to receiving your replies

Hi, I can completely relate to what you are saying. I have been diabetic for nearly 15 years and have had my head in the sand for most of that time. I now have the beginning of diabetic retinopathy, which fortunately can be reversed if I can get my blood sugars down. So you would think that would be a MASSIVE kick up the proverbial, but no, I'm still sneakily eating chocolate and resenting the fact that I can't eat like everyone else. I'm trying to do low carb but I'm not a great meat eater and find the options quite limiting. I'm so p'd off but I realise that I have no choice. I'd like longer legs but it's never going to happen. It's the same with my diabetes - I'd love to not be diabetic, but it's not going to happen. So I find myself at a point where I have to choose between eating food I love or living a healthy life that I love and there's only one option really, isn't there. I am begrudgingly, kicking and screaming as I move myself towards accepting this before doing something to help myself before it's too late.

From what you've said, you sound like it will take for something to go wrong before you really accept your diabetes. My advice is that keeping your head in the sand will only ensure that something WILL go wrong at some point. If you're lucky it won't be anything you can't put right, but it's got to better that you deal with this now rather than follow my path of non-acceptance.

There are some excellent suggestions on here, which I too will be following. I wish you all the best and hope that you can make the right choice sooner rather than later. xxx