LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

mattg8000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Since my T2 diagnosis in June 2016 I dived into researching everything I could about how blood sugar works and how best to manage the situation. After reading lots of excellent and informative posts from several members on this forum I decided the low carb diet was the one that made the most sense to me.

I've been waiting since then to get my follow up HbA1c result so I can share with you all the outcome of following the low carb lifestyle. I've taken no medication since diagnosis - just changed my eating habits.

Got the test results back today and the outcome, to me at least, is superb / amazing / gratifying / confirming:

17 Jun 2016 - HbA1C : 71mmol : 8.6% : 11.2mmol ave
02 Nov 2016 - HbA1C : 34mmol : 5.3% : 5.8mmol ave

So by just changing what I eat I've managed to drop my HbA1C from bang in the middle of the diabetic range to lower than a non-diabetic.

Massive thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge, advice and experience. You've changed my life (and probably extended it too!)

Matt

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased about your huge success Matt! Yours and my mutual success is testament to the excellent new regimen we follow. What is important now is to consolidate that success by not forgetting that (like an alcoholic) once you have Diabetes, it is with you for life (or so my GP tells me!) Having reached the "Finish" line, it is time to begin a new race to retain your wonderful success! Well Done once more. :)

Reactions: Prem51

mattg8000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased about your huge success Matt! Yours and my mutual success is testament to the excellent new regimen we follow. What is important now is to consolidate that success by not forgetting that (like an alcoholic) once you have Diabetes, it is with you for life (or so my GP tells me!) Having reached the "Finish" line, it is time to begin a new race to retain your wonderful success! Well Done once more. :)
Thanks ! Yep to steal and expand on your metaphor - the sprint to get my blood sugars under control is over and I feel like I won. Next is the longer and more important marathon to keep them under control. (in fact as I've got to increase my exercise level and also gave up smoking earlier this year maybe that should be a triathlon instead of a marathon!)

Reactions: Prem51 and geefull

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings,

Being diagnosed was a huge shock and when I found this forum I gained so much information and support from reading other peoples contributions I think that it's only fair I share my story too.

I was tested in early May after having had a bad bout of something fluish at the end of January and being constantly tired, I'm in my early sixties, had a very mentally challenging job,was borderline depressed and, honestly, very obese, my mother was diagnosed with type2 in her early seventies.

I was recalled for a fasting glucose absorption test after the gp's first blood test results came back. My result was 10.2 (random). At the fasting glucose test my fasting was 9.0 and my 2 hour reading 17.8.

The 'practise nurse' I had an appointment with turned out to be the 'diabetic' nurse, I was given the diet advice sheet (yes the 'eat carb' one), and a couple of web addresses for the NHS and the charity website and told to go away, try to eat 'properly' ,lose some weight and make an appt. in three months for a repeat blood test and appt. at which time we would discuss my being put on metformin.

I came away in shock, my appointment was after I finished work for the day and co-incidentally for some holiday so I sat in the car park and cried, went home and cried to my DH, ate half my dinner and sat down to start learning. My way of dealing with things is to keep my head down and try to become informed and over the next few days I spent a lot of time reading online. Mr G was already retired and he was wonderfully supportive (though he was worried I was being a bit obsessive), he found bits online for me, looked at the diet guidelines I had been given and packed up some things and gave them to the local foodbank.

Following the supportive advice on this forum I decided that, as I had the opportunity to improve my results, I would give it a serious shot. I downloaded a food diary app. (dietorganiser) and started to restrict carbs. to small portions of low GI types as per the diet guidelines. DH had put on weight after retiring, been put on blood pressure medication and been told he would probably need it to be increased at his next check, so he said he would join me.

shortly after that we began to reduce to under 100g of carb per day and to restrict our calories to 1000 -1200,

We don't have potatoes, seldom eat bread and don't have rice or pasta. it was a huge change. I bought a bg meter in July but was frightened to use it, (because I thought if I'd gone through making the diet change and my bg was still the same then it might derail me). Metering began on 16th August and I took a download to my nurse appt. with a copy of my food diary so I could show her I was serious about managing my diabetes.

So, after all that verbiage ^^ here are the stats to back up my belief that I am a success story in progress.

Starting from 31/5/16
BG - fasting 9.0 / 2 hr glucose 17.8 - weight 161kg ( :***: yes too high for the surgery scale, had to use the industrial one at work, I'd put on a lot of weight in the previous year).

at 3 month appt. 30/08/16
HbA1c result was 39 :joyful:
weight 139.1kg.

The nurse was astounded and told me she was delighted with the steps I've taken and to be able mark me as 'currently diet and exercise controlled', she has asked me back for an appt. in three months in early Dec. No blood test but I have to take my bg meter record and diary and she will weigh me again and has told me to book a double appt, so we can discuss my diet regime - which has made me think well of her willingess to learn about LCHF). I'm hoping to get down to 125kg by then, still obese but I'm a work in progress.

To date Mr G went from 81.7kg to 69.5kg and using his own blood pressure monitor has gone, with current medication, from being in the hypertension band to being at the lower end of the pre-hypertension band. He's maintaining his weight at @70kg now and still mostly LCHF with the occasional cracker or roast potato.
His support has been a huge plus for me.

sorry this got so long and thank you all for your help :):)

quick update edit - 6 month from diagnosis visit on 6th. Dec. Nurse weighed me at 119.8 Kg so that's both of us pleased with progress so far :joyful:

Last edited:
Reactions: seanj67 and Prem51

Ellie3919

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Re: Success stories

Well, since I suggested this thread, I suppose I had better go first. Apologies to those of you who have heard it before.

I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years. For the first 20 of those I had gradually worsening health - increasing blood glucose, insulin use, hypoglycemia attacks and weight. I followed an approved diet based around starchy carbohydrates and low in fat.
In 2000 I began trying to reverse my decline by restricting carbohyrates in my diet and replacing them with more meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, dairy foods and nuts, although I received no encouragement from my doctors in using this approach. The results have been remarkable.

2000: HbA1c 7.6%, BMI 29, HDL 1.7, LDL 2.4, triglyceride 0.7, daily insulin use ~80 units

2008: HbA1c 4.7%, BMI 22, HDL 3.1, LDL 1.8, triglyceride 0.5, daily insulin use ~ 20 units

I have always tried to look after myself, staying physically active and working hard. I have never consciously reduced my calorie intake. I believe all diabetics should be made aware of the potential benefits of such a diet before deciding how to deal with their condition.

fergus
This is such a great idea

Ellie3919

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

This is Steven's experience:

Diagnosed type one age 12. Also diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Hbaic 6.0% Never had ketoacidosis. Mixtard twice daily in different potencies for 18 months. Low carb (max 100g)diet daily during this time with one or two "weekly treats" eg cake / bowl of frosties outwith this. Hbaic 4.8% -5.3%on this regime.

Then growth spurt and indications of waning of honeymoon period. Added novorapid at lunch times and for correction doses. After six months no gain in weight. Hbaics 5.8-6.2% BMI 16. Eating as much meat and fat as I could stuff into him.

Started levemir, novorapid ( for carbs and correction doses), actrapid (for protein and high fat meals). Adopted and perfected highly advanced insulin regime to cope with higher carbohydrate diet while still maintaining maximal protein and fat intake. After a very intensive three month period of measuring everything eaten, monitoring after meals and at night and adjusting the insulin regime we got it all sorted out to a standard I am happy with and he can cope with.

Steven is now a 16 year old skinny teenager and he is still growing but his BMI is a normal 18.5 (children and teenagers have BMIs lower than adults). His hbaic varies between 5.3-6.0% on this regime. He has blood sugars below 3.5 several times a week and has had no serious hypos. He has blood sugars in the 10-15 range about once or twice a week. His blood pressure is 90/60 and his lipid pattern is normal. He has no complications and I am hopeful that he won't get any.

The key to his good control is his willingness to undertake high maintenance routines and make appropriate and timely modifications. If he was a model he would be a supermodel. If he was an athlete he would be an Olympian. You can be a gold medal superdiabetic too.
Brilliant management. Well done both of you

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been 12 months since I completed the Low Carb Program. One thing I do know, is that I am eternally grateful to Diabetes.co.uk and the Program. If I hadn’t made the effort to follow it and keep it up afterwards I dread to think what life would be like now. I know my story is nothing special and there are a lot of people who have done much better, but since November 2015 I have lost 21kg and at my last appointment my DSN asked if I am sure I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 32. I have to work hard to make sure that I keep the exercise up, it doesn’t come easy, but keeping up with it exercise is another key element in keeping things under control. It doesn’t have to be a sweaty work out at the gym, for me just regular moderate paced walks for 20 – 30 minutes 5 days a week have been enough. The LCP has taught me so much about the impact of different foods and just how carbohydrates and starchy foods affect Blood Glucose Levels. I have been OCD about maintaining a vast daily record of every aspect in my managing the condition and controlling it over the last year, but this has been my incentive to keep up with it, and although there have been some hiccups along the way I have done that and will carry on doing so. It is certainly the best thing, health-wise, that I have ever done and I can’t praise DCUK enough for the initiative in providing the Program. The NHS should make the Low Carb Program compulsory for T2D patients!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been 12 months since I completed the Low Carb Program. One thing I do know, is that I am eternally grateful to Diabetes.co.uk and the Program. If I hadn’t made the effort to follow it and keep it up afterwards I dread to think what life would be like now. I know my story is nothing special and there are a lot of people who have done much better, but since November 2015 I have lost 21kg and at my last appointment my DSN asked if I am sure I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 32. I have to work hard to make sure that I keep the exercise up, it doesn’t come easy, but keeping up with it exercise is another key element in keeping things under control. It doesn’t have to be a sweaty work out at the gym, for me just regular moderate paced walks for 20 – 30 minutes 5 days a week have been enough. The LCP has taught me so much about the impact of different foods and just how carbohydrates and starchy foods affect Blood Glucose Levels. I have been OCD about maintaining a vast daily record of every aspect in my managing the condition and controlling it over the last year, but this has been my incentive to keep up with it, and although there have been some hiccups along the way I have done that and will carry on doing so. It is certainly the best thing, health-wise, that I have ever done and I can’t praise DCUK enough for the initiative in providing the Program. The NHS should make the Low Carb Program compulsory for T2D patients!

What a wonderful post! I am going to tag in @Administrator because i am sure he will love feedback like this. :)

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria, I have been an ardent supporter of the LCP since I joined up. I was one of the case studies in the Times article last year. It works and I, like so many, am the proof.

GlynW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been T2D using LCHF for 6 years. Apart from a shrinking HbA1c, waist and weight there was very little feedback, particularly from the NHS. At my next review I will be demanding a rethink of local support for LCHF.
Two weeks ago I invested in a Continuous Plasma Glucose Monitor (Freestyle Libre) and for a week I have kept a detailed food and activity diary. The HbA1c estimate is down from 62 mmol/mol to 49 mmol/mol.:)
Largely achieved by avoidance of glucose spike meals, relaxing in the evening & delaying Breakfast!
My week is summarised in this picture - colours relate average plasma glucose risk. Today I reached 8 mmol/l average or 49 mmol/mol HbA1c. After 1 week I'm delighted. (T2D 500mg/d Metformin) Daily Carb is down from 80g to 20g over the week but thinking of settling for a =<50g/day lifestyle with a few small/infrequent indulgences.
C4DWPgQWcAEAx-8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorraine deer

GlynW

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My Cholesterol results were done when I was on statins :twisted: Off statins now after bad side effects, trying plant sterols hoping for a good result on my 3 monthly coming soon will keep you informed.
All the best to everyone Graham

Ps Whats wrong with Diabetic cats Fergus :?:

You may want to download and read this essay called The High Cholesterol Paradox.

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So. A comparison of last 90 days (first picture) where 55 days were with insulin and carbs...
54787ef20e399f2c8ca7f4e385722bba.jpg

And then the last 30 days, which has been LCHF, maybe 20g or fewer over 24hrs (mostly from veg)...
d6736e1b474ad0f7e0c9f3069fd5f0af.jpg

And now, half a stone lighter (though I was only 1 stone o/w and am T1), I have much more energy and I expect to have better cholesterol readings too.

It's just a no brainer - shame I can't quite convince my T2 dad

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
Thanks @Brunneria, I have been an ardent supporter of the LCP since I joined up. I was one of the case studies in the Times article last year. It works and I, like so many, am the proof.

I can only back up what you say. Weirdly, I logged on today at 15.08 to find that at 15.07 I had received an award for being a member for exactly one year, at 15.07. I guess I am a creature of habit :) . In all honesty, I can't say that I follow the LCHF diet ardently now. That is mainly because for much of last year I stuck to the dual task of avoiding carbs and eating low calorie to reduce weight. I managed to lose over 3st and in the process shifted diabetes by August (HbA1C of 40) by August. I am not complacent so I merely teak my diet to ensure my weight stays around the 12st - 12.5st mark and I don't indulge in carbs preferring to have meals such as omelettes. This weekend I went to Disneyland and ate lots of bread etc and had too much chocolate. Today I have so far had a cheese omelette for 360 calories.

The reality of following this site was to change my relationship and my complacency around food and diet forever. The shift has been seismic in terms of feeling better, being able to do more with my daughters etc etc and I cannot thank all of those people that gave me all sorts of bits of advice enough, especially the poster that advised I check the actual figures for a blood test I had last March which said that I was not of concern any more but I was actually still at 47 HbA1C. I could have rested on my laurels if I had listened to what was said at the receptionists desk in my doctors. Thankfully I got to see the figures and went through a summer of gruelling effort which really paid off.

To EVERYONE...keep at it you are all marvellous!

Bigman49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello to all.
I have only been on a self imposed HFLC eating regime since the 1st March 2017 so this is very much "work in progress". I take 1 x 25mg Alogliptin in the morning plus 1 x 40mg Gliclazide with 1 40mg Tablet in the evening. My Gliclazide was doubled when my Hba1c came down from 66 to 60, 3 months ago. BP was 126/77 & pulse 71. Weight 20 stone 5 pounds. From 1st April (no joke!) the Alogliptin replaced a 100mg dose of Sitagliptin once a day.
In the 44 days so far my BG has reduced from a daily average of 10.4 to an average around 6.1 - 7.1 over the last 7 days. My weight has reduced to 19 stone 6lb 6oz and BP was 122/67 last Friday with pulse of 67. Cholesterol was only 4.2 but the important one was only 0.69 which should be around 1 for males. I have a Hba1c test early May and will get all the proper readings I should know in order to report back. I feel great, a lot better than before and stomach problems have disappeared. I sleep better but have highest readings in the mornings. I would say that this, for me, is a success story: as yet unfinished. To be continued ..........
Best wishes to all for Easter just do not eat too many choccy eggs Hi!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my HbA1c back from doctors this morning down from 60 last September and I started low carb diet mid February, today down to 50! I have also lost a stone but this is very slow, think I will need to rethink the high fat bit!
On LCHF I understand that we cut carbs to lower bgl and also lose glucose sourced weight, but increase the fat to put on weight. When you drop your carb levels to below your own personal carb threshold (found by testing and trial and error) then you start to burn off fat from both diet intake and also adipose fat stores, thus losing further weight.

The HF in LCHF is to ensure you have enough fat to compensate replacing the glucose with ketones.as body fuel (ketosis). but if intake of fat is also too low with low bgl then the body scavenges fuel from muscles instead. Again, trial and error here and it is only necessary to up the HF if in fat burning mode. Otherwise generally fat+ carbs = added weight.

Reactions: Prem51

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On LCHF I understand that we cut carbs to lower bgl and also lose glucose sourced weight, but increase the fat to put on weight. When you drop your carb levels to below your own personal carb threshold (found by testing and trial and error) then you start to burn off fat from both diet intake and also adipose fat stores, thus losing further weight.

The HF in LCHF is to ensure you have enough fat to compensate replacing the glucose with ketones.as body fuel (ketosis). but if intake of fat is also too low with low bgl then the body scavenges fuel from muscles instead. Again, trial and error here and it is only necessary to up the HF if in fat burning mode. Otherwise generally fat+ carbs = added weight.
I have a lot of weight still to lose. Thought I might be overindulging in the cream though!