shock news

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there , am on the atkins diet since being diagnosed a few weeks ago , im scared it will harm me but I need to lose 6 stone , is it ok please ?
I have been told that doing Atknis is dangerous so often - but I have done it for decades as often and as long as I could get away with it - every time I got a new doctor. I cannot find any real research into it - it has been tried by individuals and reported on, but all the bad press is about high fats in combination with carbohydrates - which is not Atkins. It is a great way to eat, I have so much more energy, feel fantastic, enjoy life and exercise, my skin and hair look fantastic, and my waist shrinks even if I am not losing weight. As far as I kniw no one has ever found a problem with eating the Atkins diet which is not what the media amd medical profession want us to believe.

Reactions: mo53 and Prem51

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Atkins should be fine for starters..what we do is close to the original Atkins diet just don't be afraid of adding some fat, butter coconut oil, avocados, cream, just avoid things that have been heavily processed like vegetable oils and anything marked low fat. Above ground veg are very good too and may not be included that much on original Atkins spinach, broccoli, cauliflower anything not too starchy.

Since eating that way and skipping breakfast I have managed to lose a bit over 7 stone in 15 months.
I believe Atkins V2 is close to LCHF which is what I use. Atkins #1 got itself a bad name, so they changed it recently.

The thing I have against these 'marketed' diets plans is that (a) it generally costs for information that I get free by searching this site and associated sites for recipes etc, and (b) they usually try to tempt you to buy their specially formulated products and 'goodies'. I find LCHF is easy to implement, and uses products that my whole family can join in on so we all share LCHF meals, even the hardened Carbophiles.

There is a Low Carb section of this forum that you may find helpful.

Reactions: dunrena and Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no requirement for carbohydrates to live. But we NEED fat and protein to live. Many of us enjoy our above ground veggies and get the nutrients from them.
I would imagine you could call the Atkins diet a keto ( ketosis) diet and I have been in ketosis for over 25 years and love it. I eat only above ground veggies, nuts and seeds and avocado as my carbs. It's when I eat grains and other rubbish carbs that I feel awful.

Reactions: dunrena and Prem51

dunrena

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told that doing Atknis is dangerous so often - but I have done it for decades as often and as long as I could get away with it - every time I got a new doctor. I cannot find any real research into it - it has been tried by individuals and reported on, but all the bad press is about high fats in combination with carbohydrates - which is not Atkins. It is a great way to eat, I have so much more energy, feel fantastic, enjoy life and exercise, my skin and hair look fantastic, and my waist shrinks even if I am not losing weight. As far as I kniw no one has ever found a problem with eating the Atkins diet which is not what the media amd medical profession want us to believe.

dunrena

Type of diabetes
Type 2
t
I believe Atkins V2 is close to LCHF which is what I use. Atkins #1 got itself a bad name, so they changed it recently.

The thing I have against these 'marketed' diets plans is that (a) it generally costs for information that I get free by searching this site and associated sites for recipes etc, and (b) they usually try to tempt you to buy their specially formulated products and 'goodies'. I find LCHF is easy to implement, and uses products that my whole family can join in on so we all share LCHF meals, even the hardened Carbophiles.

There is a Low Carb section of this forum that you may find helpful.
thanks for the information and reply :)