What new meter?

• Thread starter Deleted member 371787
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371787

hello

This is my first question so please be gentle with me!

I have used the one touch ultra meter for a long time, maybe ten years. I'm very happy with it. However, I've been told that this meter is no longer compliant with testing requirements and that I need to get a new meter. My gps gave me a new meter, agamatrix jazz, which I tried out over new year. However I do a lot of walking and climbing, and found that the agamatrix Jazz didn't work when it was cold, which was not very convenient when I was up the side of a mountain in freezing conditions and could not test my blood sugar.I only had this problem once with the one touch ultra meter, but that was when it was about -5, and was otherwise fine in the cold.

Are there any recommendations for meters which work well in the cold please?

Also ideally a meter that has a big version (for at home) and a small version (for handbag).

Thanks.
Rachel

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Rachel787 I think you should ask the GP for the list of approved meters and check them out. Tagging @Oldvatr as he has been through something similar and managed to find something that the GP would prescribe for.

penelopa024

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I recommend Freestyle Libre . Absolutely wonderful reader . Shame its not refunded ...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most meters are designed to operate in above 0C temperatures, normally +10C to 40C. It is usually the test strips that are sensitive to cold, but the meters use commercial grade components, so generally are also limited probably 5 to 50C. Never seen one rated for sub zero.

Each CCG will have their own list of recommended meters that they will support, but these are generally derived from the same study report that listed some 20 possible candidates that meet the new NHS cost criterion of < £10 per 50 strips and being compliant to the latest ISO standard (2013). This list of candidates barred most of the well known meters and all the older meters, so it looks like a strange set of bedfellows that I had never heard of.

Of the 6 meters that I was recommended, one was not available and the supplier was dodgy according to Companies House, and 2 had technical issues. I finally chose a meter that was not on the list of 6, but which otherwise met the criteria, and I went back to my CCG and got it approved for my use. It is brand new and it also does ketones, which I felt was necessary but not essential for my care. None of the formal selection meters did ketones. I am now using the new Caresense Dual from Spirit Healthcare, and I am pleased with it.

You may find your local CCG has one of the well known meters on its list since they need to support T1D as well. It varies and is a real postcode lottery, so ask your practice what they have elected to support in future.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite like the Accu-Chek Mobile for being 'out and about' as there are no test strips to faff about with. It will warn you if it's too cold, but depending on how cold it is, will do the test anyway and has a warning with words to the effect of 'might be a little bit out'. Can't remember exactly what it said as when it's cold I generally stick it in a warm inside pocket and not in a pack any more after an incident where I had to shove it under my armpit for 5 minutes to make it warm enough to use.

Reactions: wiseowl_123
D

Deleted member 371787

Thanks! My gps now have two meters which they prescribe to everyone (one of which is the wave sense jazz) but have said that for me they will prescribe me anything I want.

With the tempersture, I see that the onetouch ultra I have is only rated down to 6 degrees but in practice I found it was fine down to at least zero.

Is there anywhere a list of all the meters that you can get?

Thanks
Rachel

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of lists here (there will be others not included): http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood_glucose_monitor_guide.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/smallest-blood-glucose-meters.html

If you're type 1 then meter manufacturers will send you meters free of charge because they make the money on the test strips that the NHS pay for. I've got half a dozen different ones to play with and they all came with a few test strips to try out and a card with the PIP code (it's the reference number for surgeries to use to order the right ones).

iHs

All bg meters will at times play up with not turning on in very cold or baking hot onditions. The way around it is to try to keep the meter close to the body (inside pocket of coat or jacket) in very cold temperatures or buy some little hotties pocket warmers so that the meter is ok and the hand is also warm to allow for a fingerprick. In very hot temperatures try to keep the meter somewhere coolish in the darkness of a bag out of direct sunlight.

D

Deleted member 371787

Ok, thank you very much for all the responses. I am type 1 - I did not realise you could ask for free meters, I have always used what my clinic gave me, but I'll try a few out, thanks.