Type 2 Anyone on linagliptin

den44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone 64 year old gent had type 2 for a number of years now and have been happily taking 60mg Gliclazide MR twice daily. Recently my blood sugars have started to rise so went to see GP they have put me on linaglyptin 5mg on top of Gliclazide. The problem is I'm too terrified to take it after reading of the possible side effects which include pancreatitis and suspected pancreatic cancer not to mention other unpleasant side effects. I just wondered if anyone else has any experience of this drug. My blood sugars are still rising and I need to do something soon but I'm worried about seeing my doctor again as I don't want to appear difficult. I am on the max dose of Gliclazide MR and unable to take Metformin..

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm on sitagliptin, and any of these types of inhibitors have had bad press.
I don't have side effects at all, the case for getting side effects is pretty slim to none.
I would start taking them, having high blood glucose levels is probably in the long run worse than not taking them.
If after the first month you are not happy do seek medical advice.

How is your diet?
There is quite a lot you can achieve with your blood glucose levels with a change in diet and a little bit more walking. At our age that's about we can achieve!

Do have a look around the low carb forum.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Vildagliptin (Galvus) for 6 years as I could not tolerate metformin. I had no side effects and my blood glucose was under control