May be going on a pump

hazey276

I'm seeing my consultant this Thursday and one of the things we will be seriously discussing is an insul;in pump as i have received an e-mail from my DSN saying so. I've read the NICE guidelines for my own benefit and it says that if your level has been over 8.5 for some significant time then you can apply. My levels have been 20+ for the 7, 14 and 30 day averages since last November so i hope he's going to push for one for me. It's just that it's a bit daunting but i've been ill for so long i'll try anything.

Regards

Hazey

vans

Good luck for Thursday - certainly sounds like you'd 'qualify' (tho I find it crazy that more aren't offered the pump)

hazey276

Many thanks vans, the really scary part about it is that i've been ill for so long that i'm actually getting used to it, my body must be adapting to the changes. :cry: :cry: If, by what i've read and you can wait up to six months for it i don't know what sort of state i'll be in by that time :( :(

Regards

Hazey

iHs

Hello Hazey

I was wondering how you were now doing. No different by what you've just said :eek:

An insulin pump will only help you if you know how to use it. All of them are fairly good and infusion sets are easy enough to put in.

Although someone on the forum got a pump within 6 weeks, most people have to wait about 3 months and will need to see a dietitian and make sure that they can adjust their insulin using a carb ratio. A pump DSN will set the pump up more like for you in the beginning stages, but of course you will need to be able to alter the ratios yourself. You will also need to do bg tests at least 6 times a day and also a couple during the night (2am and 4am) just to make sure that the pump is keeping your bg levels all within a target for the carb that you eat.

Not sure by what you've said from your previous messages whether you will stay on Novorapid or will need to use Humalog or Apidra as they are a bit faster in their action.

Have a look at Medtronic's Pump School as that is fairly good. See how good your knowledge is :wink:

hazey276

Thanks ihs, the whole thing just frightens me to death even though i know it will put me back on the right track. As to the insulin, i haven't got a clue as i know nothing about pumps so i'll have to do some research. It's that bad i had a reading last week of 14 and had a massive hypo, shakes, sweats the lot, scary

Hazey

hazey276

Hi folks, spoke with my consultant about a pump and although he said i qualified he didn't think it would work for me. He has now put me on Pioglitozone as well as the 2000mg of metformin. Unfortunately, they don't appear to be working as i have still got sky high blood sugar levels and if anything they seem to have gone up slightly since being on the Pioglitozone. So i'm really confused now. Back to see him on the 19th of next month so i'll keep you posted.

Regards

Hazey

iHs

I'm starting to wonder if your problem is actually related to the type of insulin you are using??

Not all bolus insulins are the same Hazey. They all have their own way of lowering bg levels.
Novorapid is thought to be the slowest, Humalog and Apidra are a bit faster so are good for lowering high bg. Failing that, it might be time to try animal insulin for a while just to see if your resistance starts to reduce.

If things dont improve within the rest of this week, I think you should phone yr consultant's secretary and tell her what is happening. She can then inform the consultant and hopefully you should get a phone call.

Do you think you had better control when you used twice daily insulin?

hazey276

Hi ihs, to be honest i forgot to mention that he said that if there was no improvement in the next 2 to 3 weeks i had to phone and tell them. I have found that i have had better control since being on MDI albeit when i wasn't struggling. I think he's getting worried as well as each time i walk in he says "Ah it's Mr Enigma" because he can't seem to work out whats wrong. Thing is i'm getting burning sensations in my feet and chronic pins & needles in my hands.

Regards

Ian

iHs

Might be time for you to talk about the possibility of you producing antibodies to insulin as some people do and it makes their need for insulin dramatically increase to well over 1000 units per day.

Although I said that you would have to find out insulin to carb ratios, I have met a couple of people who knew very little about carbohydrate and yet were given a pump. Everything takes time to get to grips with so using a pump could also be the answer for you. Dont be put off by what you read on the forum. I've only got a few CSE and am fairly thick, yet I am getting one :mrgreen:

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Dear Hazey276,

Hi there. Can I ask how long you have had type 1 diabetes? Where do you live in the UK? Im asking because I have had diabetes for 7 years now. I had the same problems as you have and I went on a course called DAFNE (dosage adjustment for normal eating). You have to have type 1 diabetes on inuslin. They 1st took me off Lantus, changed to Levemir 2x injections, 1x in the morning and 1x at night. Much better for me. No more hypos at night and then early mornings high levels. I went on the DAFNE course in Nove last year and my sugar levels have come down a lot! The course is BRILLIANT!! google it. if you cant find any info on it, I will glady send you contact numbers and info. Get yourself onto that list ASAP! I also take humalog 3x a day with meals.

Having said that, even though DAFNE is good, my hba1c level is stuck at 8! So my nurse, doc and me have decided to try the pump. I saw my new doc on wednesday in cambridge, very nice, very big and clean! really lovely) and he will try get me the pump as there is a long waiting list and proceeders to follow. So I am looking at 3 to 4 months wait til I know whats happening. But my diabetic nurse is also diabetic and she uses the pump. Her BG levels were also high until she started on the pump, they now 6%!!

I speak for myself, I am always nervous to try new things or change my routine but if it will help me, I say go for it. It is much better than living with high sugar levels that are long term very VERY BAD for you!!! Get your levels down ASAP!!! That is why you are feeling sick, angry and ready to climb the walls. Get them down.

Another thing about DAFNE, I can EAT anything I want to because they teach you to carb count with insulin ratio's. Its brillant!! Its really worth checking out.
Please let us know how you get on.....and remember we all in this together!!

Take care and look after yourself!!

regards
Ursula :D