Diet Doctor Low Carb Challenge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's WONDERFUL @Brunneria - you should be very proud of yourself to have achieved those results. I hope the same happens to me but reading your post gives me hope. :)

Yes. I am jubilant! (especially as I sneaked in 2 squares of dark choc yesterday evening).

I am now completely of the opinion that 'Sod the weight loss. This is worth doing for the blood glucose control, the food pleasure, and the fact that I don't have to fast any more. :D'

And who knows, maybe a little bit of weight loss will follow, in time. Will wait and see.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, the Great Mackerel Experiment didn't go quite as planned (apart from the new dog snaffling one of the mackerel fillets). This has been my BG this morning:

FBG - 6.4
7.20 - Mackerel cooked in butter with a squeeze of lemon juice for breakfast
8.20 - 7.7
9.20 - 8.8!
10.20 - 6.7

8.8 is on the high side for me. I think I might cancel my order for more mackerel next week. :(

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I'm gonna start this Sunday. Have been looking at the recipes and they look good. I do feel like lo carbing has rescued me from a lifetime carb bingeing and yoyo dieting - 50 years, to be exact. So in a way my diagnosis was a kind of blessing in disguise :) . it led me to all you lovely people, too!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Angelofthemarshes - Yay - go for it girl - you can do it!!! We are here to support each other. :) :)

Your history sounds a lot like mine - my first diet was when I was 20 to get down to 8st 7lbs (from 9st 7lbs) before my (first) wedding and I've been yoyo dieting ever since. At one point I had clothes in dress sizes from 8 up to 26 in my wardrobe thinking that one day I might fit back in to the smaller stuff but I kept on drifting back up to the bigger stuff. I think most of my actual binges were in the few years leading up to me being diagnosed with diabetes and, looking back, I think they had a lot to do with hypos. In those days I was trying to follow the low calorie/low fat/lots of complex carbs type of diet and exercised like a mad thing (exercise classes, walking for hours and swimming) in order to lose weight. I'd often feel awful and just binge eat cake or sweets until I felt okay - I told myself that it was because I was 'running on empty' - and I had no idea how right I was, just not quite in the way I originally thought it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What I've done for next week's menu is to look at all the keto recipes on Diet Doctor and make up my own menu of the type of dishes we like - with either no breakfast or something keto from DD - and the same for lunch (probably avocados) - I will stay under 20g of carbs (and hopefully less). I might even have a couple of fasting days if I feel in the mood. :)

@Brunneria @maglil55 - did either of you get any keto flu symptoms - I didn't get anything.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria @maglil55 - did either of you get any keto flu symptoms - I didn't get anything.

No I didn't - but I have been 'fat adapted' and skipping in and out of keto for years, so I wouldn't expect carb flu.

I also have a (purely personal and unscientific) belief that our Carb Flu experiences get milder and milder the more often we cross backwards and forwards across the keto border. Because our bodies get better and better from switching to glucose fuel to ketone fuel. We effectively become dual fuel cars, with barely a stutter or a backfire (;)) as we make the switch.

Reactions: Chook

Trebor2516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm following the Diet Doctor 2 week challenge and the carb intake is 20g or less per day. My main motive was to get my BG back to where I wanted to be and it was certainly doing that until I fell victim to this stinking cold (although BG has not risen as much as it usually does when I am ill. )
However, I have only lost 1lb. Prior to this I'd lost 17lbs on a moderate LC diet (about 40 - 50g carbs). Lowering BG is the priority and I'm happy with how it's going. However, I do want to lose more weight. I know Diet Doctor say you don't count calories on their keto diet but I've checked some of their recipes now and the daily total is around 1800 calories. I intend to give the VLC another couple of weeks to see if I can get my BG back in the 4's but after that I think I have to tweak the Diet a bit to lower the calorie intake as I really don't think I will lose anything much on 1800 calories a day.
Does anyone know if the full nutritional information for the Diet Doctor recipes are lurking anywhere on the net or am I just going to have to plod on putting the recipes into my Fitness Pal? (Some were there already but were a bit dubious).
If anyone wants to know what the 2 week challenge is like it is surprisingly easy. I have never been hungry, if anything it is too much food. The shopping lists do help because you only buy what you need. Hubby mostly ate the same as me although I add carbs for him as he won't eat the quantity of greens I get through. You only cook once a day as one day's dinner becomes the next day's lunch (I don't count breakfast as cooking as scrambled eggs only take minutes). Talking of eggs you get through loads of them!! Recipes are very good and some are Really good (don't think I would have found Diet Doctor without this forum).
I went on the 8 week blood Sugar Diet, by Dr Michael Moselely and Prof. Rod Taylor, I lost 3.5 stone in the 8weeks, my blood drppoed from high teens down to 5 - 7. I fully recommend this diet, get the book by the same name, there are some lovely recipes in there.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went on the 8 week blood Sugar Diet, by Dr Michael Moselely and Prof. Rod Taylor, I lost 3.5 stone in the 8weeks, my blood drppoed from high teens down to 5 - 7. I fully recommend this diet, get the book by the same name, there are some lovely recipes in there.

If you read back through this thread you will see that I gave up with the Blood Sugar Diet just before starting with this Challenge. It doesn't work for everyone. I lost weight in weeks 1 and 2 then didn't lose any more in weeks 3 and 4 despite sticking to it rigidly. It didn't do anything for my BG unless I also stuck to very low carb as well.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
@Angelofthemarshes - Yay - go for it girl - you can do it!!! We are here to support each other. :) :)

Your history sounds a lot like mine - my first diet was when I was 20 to get down to 8st 7lbs (from 9st 7lbs) before my (first) wedding and I've been yoyo dieting ever since. At one point I had clothes in dress sizes from 8 up to 26 in my wardrobe thinking that one day I might fit back in to the smaller stuff but I kept on drifting back up to the bigger stuff. I think most of my actual binges were in the few years leading up to me being diagnosed with diabetes and, looking back, I think they had a lot to do with hypos. In those days I was trying to follow the low calorie/low fat/lots of complex carbs type of diet and exercised like a mad thing (exercise classes, walking for hours and swimming) in order to lose weight. I'd often feel awful and just binge eat cake or sweets until I felt okay - I told myself that it was because I was 'running on empty' - and I had no idea how right I was, just not quite in the way I originally thought it.
thank you, @Chook! everyones so supportive on here! so ive lost 26 pounds so far, kept thinking i was going to go back to bingeing but havent so far - its a revelation!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
thank you, @Chook! everyones so supportive on here! so ive lost 26 pounds so far, kept thinking i was going to go back to bingeing but havent so far - its a revelation!

For me, the revelation of this Challenge is feeling full and not feeling guilty about it AND, as an enormous added bonus, at the same time losing a bit of weight and lowering BG. :). I think the two weeks Challenge is a good introduction to very low carb.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG was 6.4 this morning and I'm quite disappointed that it hasn't started going down a bit - it does make me wonder just how much longer my liver can keep annoying me this way.

In an effort to reduce or stop this All Morning Phenomenon (AMP) - can't call it DP - I have eaten mackerel for breakfast because there definitely seems to be a relationship between a big brekkie with protein and low lunchtime BG numbers for me.

Unfortunately the breakfast wasn't quite as big as planned - I only had two fillets of mackerel instead of three because the new dog swiped one off my plate while I'd walked just to the other side of the kitchen to get the lemon I'd cut up. He didn't get to keep it. :mad::mad:
I'm in the same boat still too. Started with bed at 6.5 got up to 7.1. Much the same as yesterday. After the school run went with other half to B&Q and a quick visit to M&S (They are looking not bad in the green Veggie stakes). Result was breakfast was a lot later at 11.10 and I had No 2 to pick up from Pre School at 11.30am. Before a very rushed breakfast I was at 7.7 and as usual breakfast reversed the trend until inexplicably at the 2hr mark it started to rise again and was back at 7.9. Just had water and a couple of walnuts about 1 hr ago and, just as inexplicably, I'm back at 6.2???
I was beginning to think I was suffering from never mind AMP try ADP.
I'm having that glorious chicken with the feta etc tonight. @Brunneria as @Chook says it gives us hope that this All Morning Phenomenon will eventually go. The very low carb bit really is not a hardship. In fact , I'm enjoying the food more.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was going to try this (I have the book) but decided on the Diet Doctor challenge first. I've stuck with Diet Doctor since after the 1lb loss I lost another 4lbs over the next 2 weeks and it is really easy, great tasting food. I've tried a few of the recipes in the 8 week diet and will probably incorporate them into DD but right now Very low Carb is working apart from the annoying DP.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I've done for next week's menu is to look at all the keto recipes on Diet Doctor and make up my own menu of the type of dishes we like - with either no breakfast or something keto from DD - and the same for lunch (probably avocados) - I will stay under 20g of carbs (and hopefully less). I might even have a couple of fasting days if I feel in the mood. :)

I had one day I felt a bit off but I had their cup of boullion and felt OK after.

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
O.M.G. I completely recommend the Garam Masala Chicken with the low carb naan breads. I put a chopped up aubergine fried inches in it which bulked it out in a flavoured way. It's a curry with lots of flavour but no heat. If you want to make the naan breads use very little coconut oil when frying. So much for having some left over for tomorrow....... :hungry:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O.M.G. I completely recommend the Garam Masala Chicken with the low carb naan breads. I put a chopped up aubergine fried inches in it which bulked it out in a flavoured way. It's a curry with lots of flavour but no heat. If you want to make the naan breads use very little coconut oil when frying. So much for having some left over for tomorrow....... :hungry:
I'll add that to the mix. I got another aubergine at Tesco tonight - just 1 again although other veg is appearing again.
I've made the naan before. I thought they tasted a bit like potato scones but very tasty. You may recall I added nigella seeds to mine to make them more 'naan like'.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The week 1 pizza is delicious! Basically cheese and pepperoni, and a smear of tomato puree, but very nice indeed. Should have had more salad or veg with it though. It was such a very small volume that i felt empty and went scavenging (low carb hot choc)

Tomorrow i will add coleslaw, for bulk.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For anyone who is logging their weight/blood glucose and going low carb, they may want to download the Low Carb Program app.

It's currently on Android at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.diabetes.lowcarb and will be on iOS next week (fingers crossed). It's currently in BETA which means that there may still be a few bugs, so we'd really appreciate feedback from people who are interested in monitoring their carb intake as it's supposed to be made for exactly that.

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The week 1 pizza is delicious! Basically cheese and pepperoni, and a smear of tomato puree, but very nice indeed. Should have had more salad or veg with it though. It was such a very small volume that i felt empty and went scavenging (low carb hot choc)

Tomorrow i will add coleslaw, for bulk.
Yes, I liked the pizza, too. Mr C had the pepperoni on his side and I had just black olives and extra cheese on mine . We're having the pizza again tonight as (miracle) I have managed to get a late appointment with the nurse practitioner at my doctors surgery. This is the first time I've tried making an appointment with her and it's crazy - you have to speak to the triage nurse before they will let you have an appointment with another nurse....

My FBG was 5.4 this morning! I had a very disturbed night with the new dog and I feel a bit :clown: so I think that, possibly, my DP hadn't kicked in yet. I quickly ate some bacon and eggs and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might have caught it before it rises.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hope the appt and the bg go well!

My fasting was 5.2 again this morning, with the flattest Libre overnight graph I have ever seen. No 2am low, no liver dump and rises and falls. Amazing.

The only problem is that I got on the scales this morning, hoping-against-hope for a pound of weight loss - and found that I had gained 2.9 pounds in 9 days.

Now, I do not for a second believe this is 2.9 pounds of fat. Some will be water retention. Some will be slower digestion time (my body likes a lot more veg than there is in this way of eating), and some may just be my body doing its usual bloody-minded nonsense (which it does a lot). So I am reserving judgement. And may weigh myself tomorrow to see what the daily fluctuations are like.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Psyllium husk - good for keeping things moving. The DD low carb naan have got psyllium husk in and I can categorically state that psyllium husk deserves its reputation. :dead:

Don't be upset! That little gain of yours will probably be water retention - it'll probably be gone tomorrow. Have you been drinking enough? The really important and wonderful thing is your amazing BG numbers. :playful:

I don't know what to make of mine this morning:
Just before bed last night was 5.6
FBG: 5.4 (woo hoo)
7.30: Breakfast: 2 eggs and 4 rashers bacon
8.30: 7.7 ???
9.30: 6.3

Now if I hadn't done that test at 1 hour (which I don't normally do) I would have been very pleased with those numbers, but because I DID do that test I am not happy at all with that spike. On the plus side, it is showing its starting it's downward move at a much earlier time that it normally happens.

Reactions: Brunneria