new member wanting to stop smoking but scared

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
new member , wanting to stop smoking , but scared after listening to people saying that you can get cancer even by stopping smoking aswell as smoking my head is all over the place

dunrena

Type of diabetes
Type 2
new member , wanting to stop smoking , but scared after listening to people saying that you can get cancer even by stopping smoking aswell as smoking my head is all over the place
please don't worry , I am trying to stop too , remember that stopping smoking improves the circulation and decreases the chances of getting certain cancers , even if u did not have diabetes

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A study published yesterday on ex smokers funded by Cancer research UK concluded that there is a 97% reduction in cancer causing chemicals by switching to vaping.... It's a no brainer. I quit after 32 yr habit with vaping and have never looked back. Try it.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
People who have never smoked, people who gave up years ago and people who stopped only a short while ago all have the potential to get cancer, but nothing like as often as people who continue to smoke. GIVE UP! Smoking creates many more health problems than cancer and not just for you, if affects people around you too. There is absolutely no reason on this earth to continue smoking.

I gave up more than 25 years ago and did it by cutting back over a period of weeks. First, the daytime fags went, then I added No-smoking-Mondays, and built up from there. It worked for me, you may have to find your own method.
Sally

Reactions: KezG and Jamesuk9

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
after a few years of not smoking ones risk is more than halved... don´t worry that much, if one uses metformine that also reduces ones risk of more types of cancer.. and if you live healthy and do some moving/excercise around the week then that´ll also reduce ones risk of some types of cancer compared to people that are totally sedentary... so well do something positive for you/your body and you´ll have a much lowered risk of cancer... of cause one can also be run over by a car, or get something heavy in ones head by accident like an icicle... life is filled with risks ...

Reactions: KezG

75Bedford

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up 10 years ago and have never regretted it, hope you are successful and if not this time keep trying and you will do it.

Reactions: KezG

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @chrisrover6969 I've been stopped since October last year and believe me it's not been easy. But given I've been diagnosed with type 2 I thought the least I could do was to try and stop so I was not facing any further complications and threat to my health. Best thing I ever did and do you know what keeps me going? listening to people who smoke, hearing them coughing and trying to get their breath, thinking I'm glad I've left all that behind. There is no guarantee of anything in this life when it comes to the big C word but i'll tell you this, I'd rather improve my chances of living a more comfortable healthier existence. It's not just that horrible disease though, there are other respiratory problems associated with smoking, and I've seen people struggling for every breath. Do yourself a big favour and try to stop, you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: Liam1955
D

Deleted member 308541

I gave up smoking 25 years ago cold turkey, I did not use nicotine substitutes such as chewing gum, patches, or vaping (it was not available then, but I would not have used it).

I was trying to break the dependency on nicotine not tobacco.

scared after listening to people saying that you can get cancer even by stopping smoking
I have not got cancer by not smoking, but smoking did cause the COPD I have.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also took a cold turkey about 12 years ago , and I love that I taste fresh in my mouth , and that not everything and clothes smell like nicotine... and that I have clear and healthy lungs and do not get as exhausted as I used to get from hardly doing anything... it is wonderful to be free from the slavery of addiction and also to save the very bad spent money for better use..

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am almost 2 years tobacco free. I switched to vaping and I am almost nicotine free at this point.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I am type 1 diagnosed 26 years ago at the age of 21, I was on & off cigarettes for a few years after that, then only occasionally smoked at pub nights out. Honestly though I haven't had a cigarette in years & it's so worth stopping. As others have said you can only benefit from stopping now. Best of luck & I found that asdas nicotine lozenges really helped.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@chrisrover6969 Do it! You won't regret it.. I took me a few years. I smoked around 20 a day for 15 years.. been smoke free for the last 3-5 years. You say you want to stop.. that's half of the battle.. to succeed you have to want to quit.
The hardest part for me was when out on the beer.. I could go without for weeks but when I'd had a beer or two I'd yearn for a smoke so I had some. Most of my friends didn't smoke so I felt like a leper or a junkie outside the pub with all the other junkies.. Eventually I decided that was it and announced to my fiancee that I'd smoked my last.. (mentally that meant if I had another I would be breaking my promise to her)
Keep trying see how long you can go without.. the urge wears off too! leave a pack at home when you go out.. if the urge arises tell yourself you'll have one when you get home... chances are you'll forget the urge. also.. you don't need the whole cigarette to get rid of the urge if you really must light one have a couple of drags and put it out.. the urge will be gone..
My main point is keep trying you will succeed.. I don't believe in e-cigs but do whatever you must to get of the real ones, you will win eventually.