Type 2 & blood sugar at 32.5 help !!!

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi everyone I could do with some advice at the moment the last 3 months iv had really high blood sugar readings my last 6 monthly blood test came back at a 113 !! My go said they can cope with that and I'm thinking to myself in the last 6 months iv been asking for help and iv not gotten it and now I'm in this situation I'm on 2000mg of metaformin a day and 4 glirzcine a day at 80mg per tablet now I'm on a low carb diet walk the dogs every day and look after myself I went back to see my gp last week and demanded to be seen at the hospital so she put me on a urgent referre for the hospital put yesterday I found out iv got to wait 2 months to be seen my fasting blood sugar is 22.8 and the last 2 weeks iv been doing my testing regular and by the night time my readings are 35.8 even my meter sometimes can't read my blood sugars and it comes up HI iv lost a lot of weight and I'm breathless and I want to sleep all the time and I feel I live in a desert with no water I'm that thirsty it's been hell do you think I need hospital treatment before the two months waiting list my gp wants to see me again thrusday and she did mention the word hospital admission has anybody else been in this stimulation thank you for listening and any advice would be good

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have out of hours gp?
If not I would call 111 to get advice... I would be really scared in your position too! Especially if gp isn't being very informative!

Big hugs hope Everything gets sorted

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I trying to hold on till thrusday when I see my gp again but yes I'm terrified to think what could happen and the one that makes me feel really scared is that I'm falling asleep all the time which isn't normal for me and I think will I wake up tomorrow thank you for your reply it means a lot big hugs to you to xx

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I trying to hold on till thrusday when I see my gp again but yes I'm terrified to think what could happen and the one that makes me feel really scared is that I'm falling asleep all the time which isn't normal for me and I think will I wake up tomorrow thank you for your reply it means a lot big hugs to you to xx
If you feel like that don't wait. Better safe than sorry, call 111 let them know Bgl and how you are feeling! Especially if you are falling asleep. Don't take the first no always push for someone higher, if that person says it's OK I would take that advice, but it seems the 1st ppl are paid to keep you out of a&e! I had Bgl of 29.9 before I was diagnosed it was terrible so I do understand, I hope you feel better soon!

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Hun I hate bothing people and now I know iv got to stand up to these gps and hospital doctors because they have not been listening to me the last 6 months so iv finally got the courage to kick up a fuss I will go to A&E if I get worse it's such a lonely place when I'm like this but I know I'm reaching dangous levels now how did you get your blood sugars down any tips and I'm so glad your a lot better good news

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't wait. Ring the emergency people now! That is a dangerous level and it is beginning to look like you need insulin.
Drink gallons of water, loads of it. Ring NOW.

Clickers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds exactly like what I had. Diagnosed as pre diabetic, went on a low carb diet and all was well for a few months. Then sugars started getting really high, had no energy, to the point where I struggled to get through the day. Bloods came back at 101, GP suggested starting tablets, but I had massive weight loss, shortness of breath, unquenchable thirst and shaking. My husband took me to A+E out of frustration with GP not being more responsive. I was a mess, very close to going into a coma. I was diagnosed as type 1 which was totally overlooked by GP. My keytones were through the roof. Took 3 days in hospital to get me back on track and still working on putting sone weight back on. I suggest you check your keytones and go to A+E. Don't ignore those symptoms any longer, trust your own instincts and listen to your body. Good luck.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got means to test for ketones? I suppose if you are low carb you might be in ketosis anyway but with such high blood sugar over such a long period I'd be concerned about the risk of ketoacidosis. Breathlessness is a symptom. Ketoacidosis is a potentially fatal diabetic complication, if you suspect you might be in DKA call 111 for advice.

Reslistically if dual therapy with metformin and Gliclazide along with diet and exercise isn't working to keep levels down, the next step is insulin.

If you've lost weight without trying that suggests type 1 could be suspected. You could ask for a GAD test and cpeptide test to see whether you might be type 1.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 is right - you can't afford to wait - your blood sugar is dangerously high - get yourself to A&E - you need attention sooner rather than later - let us know how you are when you get chance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Julie40 Have you rung 111? If it were me I would be tempted to dial 999 for an ambulance. You really cannot mess with the symptoms you are showing.

Julie40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keystones keep flashing on my BS machine but that's just a warning the last two nights my machine can't even read it because it's gone off the scales of my blood sugar levels been to high I promise if I'm no better by tomorrow I will just go down to A&E and wait to be seen the joys of been dieabtic but it's very scary thank you for your advice it's overwhelming to know that there are caring people on here which can give me a little reassurance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keystones keep flashing on my BS machine but that's just a warning the last two nights my machine can't even read it because it's gone off the scales of my blood sugar levels been to high I promise if I'm no better by tomorrow I will just go down to A&E and wait to be seen the joys of been dieabtic but it's very scary thank you for your advice it's overwhelming to know that there are caring people on here which can give me a little reassurance

I think we are all pushing you to go tonight - not tomorrow! The sooner the better. You aren't bothering them over nothing. This is your health and it is their job to see to you. It's what they are there for.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone I could do with some advice at the moment the last 3 months iv had really high blood sugar readings my last 6 monthly blood test came back at a 113 !! My go said they can cope with that and I'm thinking to myself in the last 6 months iv been asking for help and iv not gotten it and now I'm in this situation I'm on 2000mg of metaformin a day and 4 glirzcine a day at 80mg per tablet now I'm on a low carb diet walk the dogs every day and look after myself I went back to see my gp last week and demanded to be seen at the hospital so she put me on a urgent referre for the hospital put yesterday I found out iv got to wait 2 months to be seen my fasting blood sugar is 22.8 and the last 2 weeks iv been doing my testing regular and by the night time my readings are 35.8 even my meter sometimes can't read my blood sugars and it comes up HI iv lost a lot of weight and I'm breathless and I want to sleep all the time and I feel I live in a desert with no water I'm that thirsty it's been hell do you think I need hospital treatment before the two months waiting list my gp wants to see me again thrusday and she did mention the word hospital admission has anybody else been in this stimulation thank you for listening and any advice would be good
Julie, I lived as a Type 2 for four and a half years. Went low carb, no medication, last HbA1c 46. Mid January 2016 I got quite ill. Always needing the toilet, always thirsty, night cramps, always tired. Since my T2D was 'controlled', I ruled it out. Eventually went to GP - HbA1c of 104, and a referral to Diabetes Clinic. Waited two weeks, went straight on Insulin (basal and bolus), and straightaway felt better ! Seems I'm LADA, and you may be too. I suspect you're producing ketones, an excess of which can lead to Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
Can you get tested for these ? Not sure what to suggest. Perhaps just hassle the hell out of everyone. Perhaps turn up at A & E, or the hospital dept. seeing if they can test you for ketones - that may scare them more than your HbA1c, and bring forward the necessary treatment (I was only tested eventually for ketones at the hospital).
Good luck with your progress in this.
Geoff

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got means to test for ketones? I suppose if you are low carb you might be in ketosis anyway but with such high blood sugar over such a long period I'd be concerned about the risk of ketoacidosis. Breathlessness is a symptom. Ketoacidosis is a potentially fatal diabetic complication, if you suspect you might be in DKA call 111 for advice.

@Julie40 have a look at some info on diabetic ketoacidosis, if you think you might be in DKA (with blood sugar at 30+ and breathlessness) call 111 or 999 - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Reactions: Serena51

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I went to gp with those reading she told me to do healthy living plate! I told her where to shove it and asked for meds... was NOT staying with those Bgl as they are damaging you internal organs! (Why we say go tonight PLEASE)
I came home with metformin (which I am intolerant to!) And researched. Found the lchf diet on this site! I had to tweak it a bit to suit me as every one is unique so what others could tolerate I couldn't. It took time. It was frustrating, I was impatient, I did intermittent fasting. Within 4 months got hba1c from 85 to 31. No longer having high Bgl even after eating carbs... and no dawn phenomena any more... it was hard. I did give up eating for a while as was depressed! I would NOT recommend this! Be patient! But get the MEDICINE don't wait and don't take no for an answer.... don't wait either... the longer you do the more damage is done!

Sending love and understanding! I know you don't want to bother them... but this is their job! This is important.... YOU are important!

slarwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been put on a drug whose trade name is Jardiance (empagliflosin I think) and it works on the kidneys to get them to excrete sugar. I can report it is very effective to the point of me having to reduce my insulin by 30% because I kept having hypos there are possible side effects but when you see your gp ask if you can be put on this drug. Good luck, but something must be done.