Twitching And Fasciculations In Calf Muscles

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My calf fasciculations and twitching started a few weeks ago. The first time I became aware of them was when I had a tingling on the upper right side of my right calf. I looked at my calves and saw the movements. As time went on I began to get twitching as well and that is where I am now. Right now, I only get these fasciculations and twitching on the back of my calves. Ironically the original twitching on the top right of my right calf has now gone.

My backstory:

1/ I am overweight, but have lost 30kgs over the last 18 months. Intend to lose the rest...another 20kg to bring me down to my ideal weight. I am 59 years old.
2/ I had very high sugar, which I reduced to normal through diet and metformin for two years. I eat mainly organic fruit and vegetables and limited red meat. I also eat organic chicken and turkey. No junk food, no processed food and only healthy fats.
3/ I damaged my ankle, which prevented me from exercising for just over a year.
4/ I resumed walking for 30 minutes once a day last year and have now resumed the gym after the ankle got better.
5/ My blood work is excellent and there is no trace of mineral deficiency - except Vitamin B12, which I found out today.
6/ I am naturally anxious and had sleeping problems last year, which I overcame naturally, using lavendar oil and taking valerian occasionally.
7/ I take a 500 mg per day magenesium citrate supplement, but have done for several years, so not sure that that makes any difference.
7/ The tingling bothers me the most when I am sitting down and relaxing or lying down.
8/ I also notice the fasciculations when I get up in the morning and go to the bathroom

Things that have helped me:

1/ A nightly massage on the calves before sleeping. This has helped me very much.
2/ Trying to relax.
3/ Regular exercise.
4/ Raising my feet on a stool when sitting down.
5/ Stretching

As I sit here right now, I have no tingling and am not sure if there are fasciculations. I have been out for a 30 minutes walk this afternoon and also used a machine called a Revitive circulation booster for 30 minutes, which stimulates the feet and calf muscles and the blood flow supposedly.

I had an EMG done the other day and the neurologist has told me that the muscle nerves are not communicating properly. He did not specify nerve damage yet. I need to have an MRI of my spine and also some more blood tests to rule out any other issues.

I am wondering if this is something to do with the muscles getting used to much less carbs or worse still, a neuropathy problem caused by Metformin preventing the absorption of Vitamin B12.

Anyone else having these issues please?

exitlander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have something similar which is called restless legs, doctors don't no what causes it, but I will get it in bed most times sometimes in the day if I am sitting and the only way to stop it is to get up and walk about. It is not painful its just irritating legs keep jumping and twitching. If it continues you must have a word with your diabetes nurse or GP see if they can do some test.

Reactions: Nidge247

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you being treated for the B12 deficiency?

I've no idea how much (if any) of what you describe is to do with your B12 deficiency, or any other. Did the neurologist offer any comment on your muscle issues?

I supplement with chelated magnesium rather than citrate, mainly because I found the laxative quality of citrate a bit excessive http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/19/magnesium-deficiency.aspx
I also take a small supplement of potassium. If I lapse with these, I get leg cramps, which would be significantly worse in hot weather. I also make sure I eat enough salt, since my low carb diet (no processed foods) would be too low in salt if I didn't add some in. Obviously, I don't have a clue how those experiences compare with yours, or if they are at all relevant.

I hope you find an answer, and get your Vit B12 sorted!

desidiabulum

Leg trembling, leg pains, twitching, muscle cramps, muscle nerves not communicating, poor nerve conduction velocity can all be signs of B12 deficiency (among other things). The neurologist should certainly have thought about B12 deficiency - that's what caused my poor NCV and nerve damage (rather than diabetes). But the real question is how bad your B12 deficiency is -- a mild deficiency might not be behind the neurological problems, so best to get tested for everything. Good luck!

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have something similar which is called restless legs, doctors don't no what causes it, but I will get it in bed most times sometimes in the day if I am sitting and the only way to stop it is to get up and walk about. It is not painful its just irritating legs keep jumping and twitching. If it continues you must have a word with your diabetes nurse or GP see if they can do some test.

Hi I have already had an EMG done and was told that I already have polyneuropathy, but it is at the start, so hopefully not to serious. My experience of doctors is that they only know how to dispense drugs and no little about side effects etc. I have rules out restless legs based on the EMG results.

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you being treated for the B12 deficiency?

I've no idea how much (if any) of what you describe is to do with your B12 deficiency, or any other. Did the neurologist offer any comment on your muscle issues?

I supplement with chelated magnesium rather than citrate, mainly because I found the laxative quality of citrate a bit excessive http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/19/magnesium-deficiency.aspx
I also take a small supplement of potassium. If I lapse with these, I get leg cramps, which would be significantly worse in hot weather. I also make sure I eat enough salt, since my low carb diet (no processed foods) would be too low in salt if I didn't add some in. Obviously, I don't have a clue how those experiences compare with yours, or if they are at all relevant.

I hope you find an answer, and get your Vit B12 sorted!

Hi, no I am waiting for a report and recommendations for more blood tests. He has not yet mentioned b12 deficiency. My actual reading is 424 pmol/L. Thanks a lot for the other info you shared. BTW, in Japan, the lowest level for B12 starts at 500 pmol/L - so they must know something, we do not.

maverickuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leg trembling, leg pains, twitching, muscle cramps, muscle nerves not communicating, poor nerve conduction velocity can all be signs of B12 deficiency (among other things). The neurologist should certainly have thought about B12 deficiency - that's what caused my poor NCV and nerve damage (rather than diabetes). But the real question is how bad your B12 deficiency is -- a mild deficiency might not be behind the neurological problems, so best to get tested for everything. Good luck!

Thanks very much for your suggestions! Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. My actual reading is 424 pmol/L. BTW, in Japan, the lowest level for B12 starts at 500 pmol/L - so they must know something, we do not. From what I understand, low readings affect everyone differently. Some people will get symptoms, some will not. Today I developed burning on my knees, which is something new. I read that that can also be another symptom. Anyway I have started to take B12 today, using an oral spray, so I hope that will help! Thanks for your advice and good wishes!

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Last 12 months or so I had been suffering with poor sleep and if I stretched my legs my calf muscle would cramp everytime however Since I was given my diagnosis of type 2 I have been on the low carb diet and continally checked my sugar levels since then the cramps have practically gone and my sleep better.
Had a bad sleep last night and the cramps were back and I had a couple of palpitations which I hadnt had before in fact I felt pretty lousy but I was naughty yesterday especially last night actually very naughty with the low carb diet going out of every window so it seems to me that these cramps and bad sleep and perhaps the palpitations were due to high glucose levels. This morning my glucose level was 10.0 it usually always between 5.4 and highest has only ever been 6. Do you think that there is a connection?

happybrindle

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Maverickuk. I have the same fasciculations. Did yours ever resolve? Was it from high blood sugar or insulin issues? I am just wondering if you ever figured out what caused your twitching in calves and feet. Thank you.

Caprock94

I would like to hear more as well. I started getting muscle twitching over 6 years ago. I can get them just about anywhere. Saw a neurologist, and everything checked out ok on EMG, etc. I'm still searching for something to stop them. I don't think they are related to diabetes, but who knows. I have had the fasciculations for 6 years and only diabetic for 3 years. My blood sugar numbers stay pretty well in the normal range since I cut way back on carbs.

Would love to hear some success stories on stopping the muscle twitching!

IkariWarrior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Howdy.

There is actually something called BFS (Benign Fasciculation Syndrome) which I personally think is just doctor speak for "haven't got a clue".

Regardless there is a now largely defunct (but still readable) forum all about it here: http://www.aboutbfs.com/forums/ which one could find useful.