driving

Kirstykanga99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

A couple of months ago I passed my driving test and I am now on the road ! I am also type one diabetic - do you have anything you do before during or after driving ???

Reactions: himtoo

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably you told the DVLA when applying for your licence you have type 1? And you've told your insurance company? The DVLA will have sent you out a guidance note on driving with type 1.

You have to test your blood sugar before you drive and every 2 hours while driving. If your under 4, don't drive. If your under 5 eat some carbs before driving.

Reactions: KezG

Kirstykanga99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have informed the DVLA and every 3 years you have to inform then that nothing has changed with my diabetes but if it has then tell them as soon as it happens - I have been taking carbs when I am 6,7 and even 8 - do you think that is wrong and I should only do that when I am lower

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Kirstykanga99

As a rule with DVLA it's under 5 and you're not supposed to drive :)

I always test before getting into the car and then on long journeys test every 2 hours, I always carry glucose and carbs with me. It's up to you as to what level you would want to have some carbs, me personally I would have some if below 6 to avoid a low, as driving is so important to me I cannot afford to take any risks.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Actually by law you don't have to test before driving but it is advisable and as others have said on long journeys test every 2 hours.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually by law you don't have to test before driving but it is advisable and as others have said on long journeys test every 2 hours.

Hi @Copernicus . . .

Insulin-treated Diabetics must complete the DIAB1 form in order to get their reduced (1 or 2 or 3 year) license. On the form you must sign and date the following boxed statement:

DECLARATION: For Insulin treated only – I have insulin treated diabetes and I understand the need to test my blood glucose/sugar at times relevant to driving (not more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every 2 hours while driving).

Are you saying that this signed/dated declaration is not a legally-enforceable statement?

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: KezG

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
By law you have to test before you drive and if you drive back then you have to test again if there's been more than a 2 hour gap since your first test. You also have to carry the meter you tested with, on you. Libres are not acceptable If there's an accident you will need to evidence that you tested at the right time. Check the DVLA guidance again. Most people test just before they drive for peace of mind.

Reactions: Dodo and KezG

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Copernicus . . .

Insulin-treated Diabetics must complete the DIAB1 form in order to get their reduced (1 or 2 or 3 year) license. On the form you must sign and date the following boxed statement:

DECLARATION: For Insulin treated only – I have insulin treated diabetes and I understand the need to test my blood glucose/sugar at times relevant to driving (not more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every 2 hours while driving).

Are you saying that this signed/dated declaration is not a legally-enforceable statement?

Antony
Congratulations Copernicus and diamondnostril, you're both right !

I can test my blood at 8 am (before injection/breakfast), then get in my car at 9.30 am, for a 20 -minute drive to work, without needing to retest.
I can't get in my car at 10.01 without retesting. Each test provides a 2 -hour umbrella, WITHIN WHICH it's okay to drive.

So, there's no legal requirement to test before driving. Only to be under the umbrella, and to retest when the umbrella closes.

And, breathe .......

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And, breathe .......

@Copernicus . . .

Apologies if my Post seemed confrontational – it certainly wasn’t intended that way!

I comply with the legal requirements for driving, as I must, but for me it's the most difficult aspect of managing my T1. The only diet which keeps my levels under control is the Ketogenic diet, but this tends to keep my levels lower than DVLA requires. It’s a balancing act. If some legal eagle had worked out that DVLA guidelines were unenforceable then this would be very interesting information for me! Hence the question.

Antony