So beans don't require insulin?

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it the government saying we should not do this and that we diabetics for god sack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the education session yesterday and not once did she advise counting carbs or advocate the LCHF diet. It was have as much as you like but watch your calorie intake. I questioned a few things at the session including carbs and sweeteners (which apparently are the best thing ever) and was told that too much self education is a bad thing!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Hopcur27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As someone who's moved around a lot over the last 10 years, nearly every NHS diabetes care team has a completely different approach and contradict one another, so god knows what approach we should be taking when they don't even know themselves

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ThomasStewart

On a course for diabetics I did last May we were told the thought about beans had changed due to the slow release properties of beans. So we need not count them into our carb count for insulin injection. Sorry that's as much as I remember.

bill45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 every time i have Heinze Baked beans my sugars are high so stay away from them now.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up legumes in general a long time ago when I only needed to lose weight as it didn't happen when I ate beans. Green beans seem OK and a small helping of peas, but I did not even bother to test with the meter.

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was the three sessions on the NHS, arranged by Poole Hospital in Dorset.
I went to one of those about 10 years ago.
Dietician/diabetic nurse at mine told everyone that honey was a good substitute for sugar on cereal and in tea/coffee

dollyroger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 1 now 9n a pump and baked beans do raise my BG , they are much too sweet, why do they put sugar in a savoury food item, even the sugar free have sweetener in them WHY, all this about sugar taking the acidity out of tomatoes, 8ts a lad of rubbish to me

Reactions: Brunneria

wileykit55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always have to give insulin when I eat baked beans. Even reduced sugar ones. There are still carbs in a tin but they are low GI.

jackybob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never heard such a load of tosh in my life , so many carbs in baked beans , potatoes and bread . I would deffo be in Dka if I didn't bolis for them !!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't eaten baked beans for about 3 years, ever since I tested them and got double figures.
After following this thread, and now with better control, I decided to try them again this lunch time, especially as I was only 4.7 before eating. I had fried egg, a high meat sausage, mushrooms and half a Lidl roll with a tablespoon of beans. (With a tomato instead of beans I would have had a very small insignificant peak). Guess what? I completely forgot to test! That means, in the interests of science, I will have to repeat the meal another day. :)

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its is very easy for someone without diabetes to tell you how to treat your diabetes because they never have to learn the hard way that they are wrong :/

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been advised previously to only count the 'of which sugars' in foods like beans and soup because of their slow release - I quickly stopped doing that! Beans are the only thing I didn't want to drop from my occasional fry up breakfast - even the reduced sugar ones have 10g per quarter of a tin, low GI or not.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't eaten baked beans for about 3 years, ever since I tested them and got double figures.
After following this thread, and now with better control, I decided to try them again this lunch time, especially as I was only 4.7 before eating. I had fried egg, a high meat sausage, mushrooms and half a Lidl roll with a tablespoon of beans. (With a tomato instead of beans I would have had a very small insignificant peak). Guess what? I completely forgot to test! That means, in the interests of science, I will have to repeat the meal another day. :)

Well, I repeated the experiment with the same meal as above and was quite shocked.
I started at 4.7, rose to 5.7 at 90 minutes and 5.9 at two hours. At four hours I was 5.7.
I will need to repeat this when wearing a Libre sensor and can then decide if I can add them back on my menu. :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We were kept in those days..[/QUOTE]
Fortunately Donnelly's Dogs not everywhere - I was diagnosed around the same time as you and lived in Watford, where thankfully there was no hospital admission and treatment started in your own home with a great deal of support from a really superb DNS.I've never understood the principle of starting treatment in hospita,. where nothing's the way it'll be when you get home.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
That was me I was told at my DAFNE course that the beans won't affect the bg as they are slow release so no need to bolus. After trusting this advice I spiked sky high. At least I know for future..
Baked beans are low GI. I was told not to bolus for the total Carbohydrate content of the baked beans but just bolus for the bit that says " off which Sugars" which is the added sugars in the sauce.

It is confusing because the way i and i darexsay all of us here see it is, carbs are csrbs and they all add up and end up in the blood stream.

I just bolus for the "of which sugars" and it works for me.

The beans in baked beans are a called Haricot beans and the Carbohydrate in them are slow release / low GI. The sauce is high GI due to the sugar content.

Regards

Martin

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Only time I have ever eaten baked beans while diabetic, (was a small amount) but I put them in a strainer and washed off all the sauce. Then had them. It just wasn't worth it in the end.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was have as much as you like but watch your calorie intake...
????? This has got to be one of the best pieces of "advice" I've seen for ages.....don't know whether to laugh or cry....

I questioned a few things at the session including carbs and sweeteners (which apparently are the best thing ever) and was told that too much self education is a bad thing!
Yeah, and so is blissful ignorance!

Luckily, my Doctor & DN are pretty switched on.....when I had my 1st meeting with the DN, I was asked if i had seen the "Blood Sugar Diet"....yes, it's on my shelf as we speak I said and was then pointed to THIS (not the other one!) site - she was almost a bit disappointed when I said was already a member but then she said I should have guessed as much because of your results....So it's not all bad out there - we do seem to be making headway now. I know it's not yet a done deal, but there is light at the end of the tunnel (...or is it an oncoming train?:)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this should deter those that are still enthusiastic about our little orange mates (no, not Donald)..
38017B9800000578-3777529-image-m-19_1473239592565.jpg

Found in a tin of beans bought in Peterlee.....Yummy! (not). Looks similar to what was served up on the mining ship Nostromo, prior to Mr. Hurt's case of indigestion......"In space, no-one can hear you fart...."

Last edited:

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've always bolused for baked beans (total carbohydrate value) and my numbers have always returned to normal levels. So that would imply that if I didn't bolus, my numbers would be in double figures.

I've read on this forum that some people need to take half the amount of insulin for baked beans. Everyone is different, and considering that beans belong to the "pulses" family - they are low GI, higher in fibre and highish in protein. All those factors can contribute towards bizarre effects on BG for a diabetic - including slow BG rise, delayed spikes and possibly hypos due to the innate slow carbohydrate release.

Very small portions of baked beans without insulin maybe okay, but I'd imagine if we were to eat a whole can without insulin then the impact would be very clear to see.

This is an interesting question. Baked beans consist of two parts; 1) The sauce which is usually rife with sugar and 2) The beans themselves.

The beans I would think fall into the category of slow release carbs. The sauce definitely not!

I just treat this food based on carbs listed on tin otherwise life is going to get real complex (see GI on some diet sites)