Everything improving

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whoop whoop.
Diagnosed T2 and raised cholesterol in November.
Decided to get back on the lchf waggon, aswell as glucophage and atorvastatin ( after a month of deciding) due to loads of symptoms.
Cholesterol was 5.5 or 5.7 down to 2.9 Omg the receptionist nearly dropped the phone!( now thinking of coming off statins???)
Await my hba1c. Was 6.7.
Have lost 11lbs in weight
1 inch off waist,
2 inch off hips,
Feel so much better physically and mentally. The majority of my symtoms have gone.
I don't have breakfast anymore, very little carbs, did 5:2 for a while and fasted 16:8. I'm now 4th week into the blood sugar diet.
Oh and I love cauliflower mash! lol

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well Done!!! You are amazing! :)

Reactions: lisajo2016

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well done - isn't it a wonderful feeling to get good results? - though I'd advise stopping the statins, your body and brain need cholesterol for essential stuff, and for digestion so going really low is not a good idea. I've not lost the car at the supermarket since stopping taking the same pills you are on, so I count that as a plus.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't not having breakfast bad? What is 5:2 And 16:8?

:) skipping breakfast = Intermittent Fasting, and can be very good for us T2s.
5:2 is an eating pattern where we eat normally 5 days a week, then drop the calories to 500 a day for the other 2 days of the week.
16:8 is also intermittent fasting, but in a pattern of skipping one meal a day, going without food for 16 hours, and then eating in the remaining 8 hour window.

@lisajo2016 well done! sounds like you are on to a winning combination. :) and maybe you don't need those statins any more. :)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mimi's not eating breakfast or any other meal is not good or bad but is not suitable for everyone.

If you are eating a low carb high fat diet then you may find you are not so hungry at meal times. 5:2 and 16:8 are fasting regimes.

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:) skipping breakfast = Intermittent Fasting, and can be very good for us T2s.
5:2 is an eating pattern where we eat normally 5 days a week, then drop the calories to 500 a day for the other 2 days of the week.
16:8 is also intermittent fasting, but in a pattern of skipping one meal a day, going without food for 16 hours, and then eating in the remaining 8 hour window.

@lisajo2016 well done! sounds like you are on to a winning combination. :) and maybe you don't need those statins any more. :)
Thank you for explaining....I also wanted to know if one is on metformin then won't the blood sugar level dip low on intermittent fasting?

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mimi's,

I was type 2, and I have been sticking with intermittent fasting 16:8 for about 8 months. I was originally on 2 x 500mg metformin and no, my blood sugar never went too low. I don't think it will go too low for most type 2's. I just had and still have a coffee with a couple of teaspoons of double cream for breakfast otherwise I eat my meals between 3 and 11pm. Incidentally after 9 months lchf I am in remission so it really does work. Just figure out from all of the information on this site what will work best for you as everybody is different and then stick with it.

Reactions: lisajo2016

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mimi's,

I was type 2, and I have been sticking with intermittent fasting 16:8 for about 8 months. I was originally on 2 x 500mg metformin and no, my blood sugar never went too low. I don't think it will go too low for most type 2's. I just had and still have a coffee with a couple of teaspoons of double cream for breakfast otherwise I eat my meals between 3 and 11pm. Incidentally after 9 months lchf I am in remission so it really does work. Just figure out from all of the information on this site what will work best for you as everybody is different and then stick with it.
Thanks so much and what is your diet like during 3pm.to 11pm?

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3pm is usually a big mixed leaf salad with full fat mayo plus either chicken, tuna, egg, ham. Occasionally I might add in a rasher of crispy bacon, a few nuts or pumpkin seeds for some crunch. Then if I'm still hungry a full fat Greek yogurt with 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds. I used to hate salad but I miss it if I change it now! 7.30-8.00 is salmon tonight with cabbage, green beans, courgette a little carrot and mayo or butter sauce. Then sugar free jelly with 2 teaspoons cream. Decaf coffee. Then at around 10.30 it is normally a coco, bourneville dark kind made with water and a few spoonfuls of cream. It's really delicious, comforting and tastes so good. It was a lovely person on this sites that posted about this! I normally have around 10gms of mixed nuts like Brazil, walnut, macadamia, hazelnut with it. That's my typical day now. I sometimes add in an odd glass of wine or more often than not a packet of pork scratchings, or a square of 85% dark chocolate. Basically I eat all meat and fish but try to stick with the green veggies, good nuts and seeds, use olive oil, butter, full fat yogurt, cream and mayo. One thing which is good for you is avocado but I hate them! I just can't make myself like them. Hope that gives you some ideas but the website dietdoctor.com is a good site to view too for ideas if you haven't seen it already. You just need to find a way that suits you though. This works fine for me personally. Wishing you well on your new way of life.

lisajo2016

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh well done - isn't it a wonderful feeling to get good results? - though I'd advise stopping the statins, your body and brain need cholesterol for essential stuff, and for digestion so going really low is not a good idea. I've not lost the car at the supermarket since stopping taking the same pills you are on, so I count that as a plus.
Gosh I do suffer with forgetfulness lately! I wonder if it's that.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is since starting to take the statins then I'd say absolutely yes it is - I was able to do Sudoku puzzles and not cheat at all - even the quite difficult ones, now I just can't seem to get to grips with them at all, and my attention wanders dreadfully.