Partner's views on pump?

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm considering a pump after 50 years on injections. I'm wondering if anyone would tell me what their partners have thought of the pump getting in the way at night. My husband likes to sleep with a hand resting on me, and we like to just make contact during the night. I'm concerned that whilst asleep he could entangle the tubing or the pouch strap. Do they get in the way of sleeping entwined? Have any pumpers found that it makes their partner more distant? He's such a light sleeper, it would wake him up if he touched anything other than me in the bed!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Deb1million My pump has never been an issue between my partner and I in bed, or anywhere else for that matter. It tends to stay very close to me when I am asleep and doesn't move a lot. My partner and I don't tend to sleep entwined though.

If there is a concern about this, you could always look at an omnipod, as that doesn't have a tube, although, my point of view on this tends to be rather more blunt than yours, and if my partner didn't like me wearing a pump, well they'd just have to get over it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm considering a pump after 50 years on injections. I'm wondering if anyone would tell me what their partners have thought of the pump getting in the way at night. My husband likes to sleep with a hand resting on me, and we like to just make contact during the night. I'm concerned that whilst asleep he could entangle the tubing or the pouch strap. Do they get in the way of sleeping entwined? Have any pumpers found that it makes their partner more distant? He's such a light sleeper, it would wake him up if he touched anything other than me in the bed!

Hi Deb - my partner had exactly the same feelings about this, i've had mine a year now, it's a medtronic so it has tubing, however we have never become tangled as I keep my pump in a belt around my waist and it fits snugly to my middle, it never causes an issue with sleep either. Although my partner had his concerns it would be safe to say it's never been an issue and I think he was just concerned it could be, I was pretty bullish as I wanted it so much that I ignored his concerns !

Reactions: Deb1million

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think that's so sweet - the liking to touch you thing! Can't help on the pump, I'm afraid.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never been a problem and hasn't made my wife more distant in bed.

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all so much. My main concern was not lack of intimacy, as that's never a broblem, it's just he's such a light sleeper I know he will wake up if he touches the pump. I suppose he will get used to it. He's used to my night-time blood tests etc etc, so it's just another concern as he's worried he could affect my insulin dosing.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Deb1million , as a suggestion ask your partner to go along to the pre-pump appointments, I'm sure if either of you have any concerns the pump DSN will address them.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Deb1million I have to say that it's not been a problem for us, and we're very cuddly at night. I wear my pump in a SPI-belt round my waist at night, and it's much, much, much less of a big deal that I had been imagining before I got the pump.

Not only does my pump not physically bother my husband, he is so overwhelmed by the positive changes it has made to my life, his life and OUR life together, he is absolutely the reverse of distant where it comes to my pump.

You won't look back - entwining will not need to be curtailed, I'm sure.

Love Snapsy
:)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No problem for me either.....

I am not going to lie, I don't sleep cuddling or anything like that, I need my space....[as I am sure most people do...;)]

If I did its only going to be attached to my boxers anyway....

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
he's worried he could affect my insulin dosing.
Just coming back to this aspect - I would say it's unlikely that anyone accidentally tripping over the pump at night would be able to get it to deliver a bolus - mine for instance has an automatic keylock to avoid that sort of thing - it's not really something that is all that likely to happen, on my opinion.

I wear the pump in a belt with a pouch, comfy and loose, with the hosepipe rolled up and tucked into the pouch so there isn't any left trailing. Sometimes I go 'free range' - ie not in the belt - and really it isn't an issue.

:)

Last edited:

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the insight and was initially worried about having it roaming around the bed with me, but it's fine and I don't attach it to myself by pouch/belt. I pop it next to me when I go to sleep and it's usually in the same spot when I wake, or it has moved with me. I do cuddle up too and just leave it the other side of me, no issues at all.