Night Time Snacking

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's the full fat version and i also put mixed berries in, having it breakfast and supper now, definitely helping
Also can I ask will single cream be ok opposed to double as i have some single cream in the fridge

Reactions: Prem51

rfmiles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people talking as fast as TV actors, newsgroup spammers
Hi, I am hearing about this high fat, low carb diet and would like
To know, how much carbs should I be having per day, and how much fat, please. It's a bit new & confusing to me as I have always gone for low fat. Also I am getting cramp in my legs early morning. And other than not drinking coffee & high caffeine drinks & drinking more water, is there something I should do, to avoid this, please?

I've read that the cause of cramps is often a diet too low in magnesium or too high in calcium. The chlorophyll in green vegetables ALWAYS contains magnesium, so you could add a dark green leafy vegetable to your evening meal. The one I prefer is turnip greens.

Dairy products are a main source of calcium.

Note that spinach may not be a good choice - it contains calcium, magnesium, and something else that binds the calcium and magnesium tightly enough you cannot absorb them.

Calcium and magnesium each interfere with absorbing the other, which suggests that you limit dairy products and dark green vegetables at the same meal.

Reactions: Prem51

Pringle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Avocado with prawns and full fat mayo yummy
Have been following these blogs since last march they have really helped me this is my first time to comment. I have lost 3 stone and dropped the sitagliptin meds am shortly going to reduce my metformin currently take two 1000 slow release once a day, never hungry now in evening if I keep off the carbs occasional relapse I thogh

Pringle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've read that the cause of cramps is often a diet too low in magnesium or too high in calcium. The chlorophyll in green vegetables ALWAYS contains magnesium, so you could add a dark green leafy vegetable to your evening meal. The one I prefer is turnip greens.

Dairy products are a main source of calcium.

Note that spinach may not be a good choice - it contains calcium, magnesium, and something else that binds the calcium and magnesium tightly enough you cannot absorb them.

Calcium and magnesium each interfere with absorbing the other, which suggests that you limit dairy products and dark green vegetables at the same meal.

I always had cramps before I knew I was diabetic never since my sugar levels have been under control

DeeWalley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try a coffee with loads of double cream. Very satisfying and satiating.

If you eat a proper low carb/higher fat meal for evening meal you shouldn't feel hungry.
google Bullet Proof coffee, or Bullet Proof hot chocolate for a satisfying "snack" or check out reversing diabetes group on facebook

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've never had avocado I suggest you try it. So many things to do with it. Smashed into guacamole with lemon/lime juice and spicy peppers, smashed , sliced or diced with sea salt, on top of salads, inside deli meat wrap, smoothies etc
I'm thinking you can buy guacamole already made
If you just purchase the fruit you want it to have a little give when you push on it. Not soft but not hard. When storing it store it an airtight container upside down so the flesh is pushed down and sealed from air. It doesn't last long until it turn s town but there is never any left here.

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm A 43yr old type 2. I take 4x 500mg metformin a day. I got my annual results today, my HbA1c is 57 Cholesterol is 5.3 and Blood pressure is 146/100.

Never had issues like this since diagnosis and got it under control. I think my problem is after about 8-9pm i get so hungry and can't stop eating, I will eat almost anything i can get my hands on. Any tips on stopping this or even tasty healthy food to eat instead?
Carry on snacking type 1 could come along and bite you !!!

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have cut most of the carbs out, find i'm eating mostly meat now, need to get more veg in my diet. Breakfast is greek yoghurt (full fat) with mixed berries. Night time snack is mixed berries with double cream.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also Idea's for low carb snacks on a night just in case. At min i try to eat peanut butter (asda own make 4g per 100g carbs) on wholemeal bread?
I can only tell you what I do.

First meal of day is usually between 11am and 1 pm, before that just tea or coffee or water. Lunch varies between a small fry up (1 egg, 1 rasher bacon, one sausage and mushrooms), a sandwich (I use half of a high protein bread roll (triangular brown things found in Lidle) or a salad.

Dinner - I have that at about 7pm. Not too much protein but a whole lot of veg with butter on and perhaps home made gravy. If I have a salad then I add 2 boiled eggs and anchovies. At this time of year a good thick soup keeps me full. I use a slow cooker. I invariably have some red wine as well.

Reserve food for snacks and when out and about: a few nuts (I like almonds and brazils), baby bell cheese, Greek yoghurt, pork scratchings, a teaspoon of peanut butter.

If I think that I am hungry then I have a glass of water (being thirsty can easily be misinterpreted as hunger) Check your urine, if its yellow or worse still green then you are thirsty - if any other colour then see your GP.
Hope that helps.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I want to do LCHF but run out of ideas for meals very quickly and end up eating the same things day in day out and eventually fail
Hi kev... have you checked out the LCHF threads on this site? There are more recipes and ideas than you can use! Look at the thread where people post what they ate today - so many lovely ideas.... I have hot chocolate made with pure organic cacao, sweetener, coconut oil, butter and a little cream before I go to bed, or if I feel empty in the evening - it seems to stop the liver dump as well... I certainly sleep better for it... A small bowl of blueberries with cream is lush too, and very easy... Good luck...

Reactions: kevkevkev