Lower carb bread warburtons

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @lovinglife and @Gemma2 that is a shame ,but I just love Lidl's rolls they taken the place of bread for me,especially when cut in half and toasted and topped with sardines .or topped when they are warm(Microwave) spread with fresh Raspberries in stead of Jam;)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bought this today as couldn't get burgen - its really good and the nearest tasting to "proper" bread I have had - even though I like burgen it has a slight back taste and I HATE the Lidl rolls lol - I know it's not for everyone at 9g carb a slice but it's worth knowing about

http://www.warburtons.co.uk/products/bread/wholemeal-brown/400g-protein-loaf

Hi

So if it's 9.3 per slice do you then subtract the fibre of 2.3 which makes it 7g per slice?

Can anyone confirm if this is correct please.

Thanks for sharing, was it less seedy than the burden or Lidl? I'm sick of seeds lol!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

So if it's 9.3 per slice do you then subtract the fibre of 2.3 which makes it 7g per slice?

Can anyone confirm if this is correct please.

Thanks for sharing, was it less seedy than the burden or Lidl? I'm sick of seeds lol!
No in the UK fibre is already subtracted from the total carbs so it's 9.3g I'm afraid. It doesn't have any visible seeds - more like an ordinary slice of brown bread.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No in the UK fibre is already subtracted from the total carbs so it's 9.3g I'm afraid. It doesn't have any visible seeds - more like an ordinary slice of brown bread.

Oh I see, I am getting mixed up re fibre. Sounds nice though I will ray it. Thanks

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is really interesting, more because it indicates that the potential profit from low carb is sinking into mainstream food companies. Warburtons is huge and if they've twigged, perhaps other companies will too. It'd be too much to hope that they're doing it to improve the nation's health. ;)

I don't eat bread but medium-carbing hubby loves his Burgen. He'll try this as soon as we can find it in a local supermarket.

Thank you for the news!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

This is really interesting, more because it indicates that the potential profit from low carb is sinking into mainstream food companies. Warburtons is huge and if they've twigged, perhaps other companies will too. It'd be too much to hope that they're doing it to improve the nation's health. ;)

I don't eat bread but medium-carbing hubby loves his Burgen. He'll try this as soon as we can find it in a local supermarket.

Thank you for the news!
As with the new loaf Tesco is doing, they don't market it as low carb though. They call it high protein. Just an observation.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As with the new loaf Tesco is doing, they don't market it as low carb though. They call it high protein. Just an observation.

Ooh, another interesting point. If Tesco is doing it, there must be an audience.

Shut your ears for this, hon: Tesco does a range of chicken breasts in various sauces which are very, very low carb. The Thai sauce one is about 3g per portion and I don't think any are more than 6g. Add a bit of cauli rice or courgetti, and you have a main meal for under 15g in 40 mins.

I don't work for Tesco but there's a superstore 10 mins walk away so super convenient. ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The warburtons is marketed as high protein too - as are the Lidl rolls - there's also a high protien range called Zacs that my local little clean eating cafe uses - it's a great little place full of body building types - although I frequent it for the lovely low carb food and not the view ;)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@kittypoker Here is another wee observation. The Warburton's high protein loaf is described as "Vegetarian Society approved" but no mention of "Diabetes UK approved." Perhaps this says more about the target market. It's all good though no matter how we get there. The Tesco high protein loaf is really nice. 10g of carbs per slice and very "bready"

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Avocado Sevenfold That's so very interesting. Vegetarian/vegan eating is on the up, perhaps? Certainly, our local Asda superstore has a very wide range, Tesco less but may be expanding.

It's all changing, it seems. Let's hope we all get what we need, which is a good variety of healthy options with as little sugar, starch and industrial additives as possible, to wipe out the last 60 years of dreadful, HCLF dietary advice.