Type 1: Do you ever think 'Why me?'

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't dwell on bad things @MrXile Remember that **** can happen to anyone, diabetic or not. It's easy to forget that when you read about complications. Concentrate on being as healthy as you can, controlling your blood sugar, and living well.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm still here at 30 years+... so the warnings were rubbish!!! (For me!!)....

Dont get weighed down by it all. Life has to be fun above all...

Best thing we did was to take time out ech day to distract "ourselves" together!! We just do a couple of crosswords with a "posh" coffee and we do have some real laughter doing them. I wish I'd been made more aware a long time ago the imoortance of having complete relaxation together every day.. no matter what happens!!

Its hard to accept change... that goes for every human... in some way or another..

You will manage it... and so will your wife... just important to get a total switch off time for laughter and fun though each day!!

Reactions: azure

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Don't dwell on bad things @MrXile Remember that **** can happen to anyone, diabetic or not. It's easy to forget that when you read about complications. Concentrate on being as healthy as you can, controlling your blood sugar, and living well.

Ah yeah, living as healthy as I can, and attempting to control my levels - I seem to be having to eat snacks in between meal times at this moment in time to stay above 4-5mmol, seeing the consultant tomorrow, but the constant worry about dropping is annoying both of us lol

I'm still here at 30 years+... so the warnings were rubbish!!! (For me!!)....

Dont get weighed down by it all. Life has to be fun above all...

Best thing we did was to take time out ech day to distract "ourselves" together!! We just do a couple of crosswords with a "posh" coffee and we do have some real laughter doing them. I wish I'd been made more aware a long time ago the imoortance of having complete relaxation together every day.. no matter what happens!!

Its hard to accept change... that goes for every human... in some way or another..

You will manage it... and so will your wife... just important to get a total switch off time for laughter and fun though each day!!

How did you cope at the beginning? I want to help improve by my own, and the wife's worries by doing something fun, but can't go out and do anything, so maybe we'll do puzzles and drink a posh coffee too hehe.

I guess just because I'm newly diagnosed that I'm feeling it's all a bit heavy right now, weighing us both down, hard to be positive when everything has changed completely.

Baby steps eh...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The dropping could be the honeymoon, or maybe your insulin needs adjusting. Sometimes being diagnosed and being on insulin can give your remaining islet cells a rest and they can make a little insulin of their own. So perhaps some of your doses need tweaking so you don't go low.

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
The dropping could be the honeymoon, or maybe your insulin needs adjusting. Sometimes being diagnosed and being on insulin can give your remaining islet cells a rest and they can make a little insulin of their own. So perhaps some of your doses need tweaking so you don't go low.

I started on diagnosis on 16 for both my basel and bolus. My bolus has since been whittled down over the past few weeks to its current dose of 10 per meal. Basel stayed the same.

Hopefully they'll tweak tomorrow as I can't stay above 4 without snacking between meals. My two to three hours after a meal is always 4-5, sometimes lower. Had two hypos this weekend (2.8 and 2.9). I don't mind checking 10-15 times a day, my fingers disagree, but I see it as a necessity. Hehe.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Show them your before and after meal,readings. If you're too low at two hours, it could be your bolus.

I can't remember if you said, but are you carb counting? I may have asked you that already - sorry if I have!

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Show them your before and after meal,readings. If you're too low at two hours, it could be your bolus.

I can't remember if you said, but are you carb counting? I may have asked you that already - sorry if I have!

Yeah, we have a good diary, with all my readings, plus it's all available on diasend digitally.

I'm not carb counting no, they said just to eat as normal as I used to, which we are doing (healthy eating) roughly about 150g of carbs across my three meals daily.

:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The answer to that is simply No.

As they say and putting it politely "**** Happens"

For me its just a case of dealing with the problem at hand as there is no escape.

Regards

Martin

I get annoyed and angry with type 1 at times and it frustrates me too, but when first diagnosed I just got on with it, not a lot I could do and not nice circumstances either, but **** happens and I try to deal with the hand of cards I was dealt with, but I wont let it beat me, so I have never really thought 'why me'

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Things were different previously...

You'll the hang of it but you ought toask your consultant/dsnabout carb counting course (dafne) for you and the wife to go on.

By the way, its good that your wife is 100% with you and living it with you....

I wholly recommend "we" time.... total distraction away everyday.. and relaxing.

We started also to do daft things.. balsa wood animal wood models together... these have had huge laughs... and total relaxing.

Honestly, my cancer therapist really has so taught me well... and I so wish others had the opportunity when newly diagnosed to do the learning and also the relaxing when diagnosed diabetic.

Its great to be given good diabetes care,, medics treat the cancer, but its rare to get the psychological support offered to patients.

Diabetes is life changing and especially learning how to inject for eating and not eating!!

Were you advised to get the card for the free scripts and told about dvla notification??

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Things were different previously...

You'll the hang of it but you ought toask your consultant/dsnabout carb counting course (dafne) for you and the wife to go on.

By the way, its good that your wife is 100% with you and living it with you....

I wholly recommend "we" time.... total distraction away everyday.. and relaxing.

We started also to do daft things.. balsa wood animal wood models together... these have had huge laughs... and total relaxing.

Honestly, my cancer therapist really has so taught me well... and I so wish others had the opportunity when newly diagnosed to do the learning and also the relaxing when diagnosed diabetic.

Its great to be given good diabetes care,, medics treat the cancer, but its rare to get the psychological support offered to patients.

Diabetes is life changing and especially learning how to inject for eating and not eating!!

Were you advised to get the card for the free scripts and told about dvla notification??

Yeah, we've been informed of the DAFNE course, only fleetingly - maybe that's so methinf we will be discussing tomorrow, but definitely we want to learn all we can.

We time is something we will definitely do, we live for one another, so with this latest change, it's even more so important we take time out, I like the sound of something fun to do together, balsa wood or otherwise, as laughing is a great cure for anything!

I'm glad you've had the counsellor and it's helped, I agree it should be compulsory for any life changing diagnosis, may I ask, do you have cancer as well as diabetes then? No worries if you don't want to tell a stranger lol

I have been told about, and applied for my exemption certificate and the DVLA have been informed already. We've been busy these past few weeks since my diagnosis then again we've always been quite good admin wise lol

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, we have a good diary, with all my readings, plus it's all available on diasend digitally.

I'm not carb counting no, they said just to eat as normal as I used to, which we are doing (healthy eating) roughly about 150g of carbs across my three meals daily.

:)

Carb counting is crucial for good control. It's not as hard as you'd think. You can even try your own version as you become more confident, by eating the same meal (exactly) a few days in a row and seeing what dose of insulin works for you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, breast cancer and a few hiccups with treatment. So have had to learn to forgive on this medical journey.

Made me realise more so that we can control diabetes...(and I do) but cancer... theres only so much you can modify and the rest is out of your hands....again because I cant tolerate the anti cancer tablet I do everything I can to try and help my body. I also got poisoned from the treatment and almost died.

I am actually grateful for my diabetes though. It means I get regular blood tests and some of these blood tests can indicate cancer... normal cancer patients after mastecomy do not get blood tests done routinely... so at least I know that I will be able to monitor some aspect..

So glad to hear you are going to make room for some laughter time!! We've never laughed or relaxed this much in our 20 years together... and so lovely to do it daily..

Reactions: Juicyj

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Yes, breast cancer and a few hiccups with treatment. So have had to learn to forgive on this medical journey.

Made me realise more so that we can control diabetes...(and I do) but cancer... theres only so much you can modify and the rest is out of your hands....again because I cant tolerate the anti cancer tablet I do everything I can to try and help my body. I also got poisoned from the treatment and almost died.

I am actually grateful for my diabetes though. It means I get regular blood tests and some of these blood tests can indicate cancer... normal cancer patients after mastecomy do not get blood tests done routinely... so at least I know that I will be able to monitor some aspect..

So glad to hear you are going to make room for some laughter time!! We've never laughed or relaxed this much in our 20 years together... and so lovely to do it daily..

Ahh I'm so glad you are being so positive, it's the only way to hit anything head on, and laughing of course. The positives of blood testing are immeasurable, I agree. So some good things do come from diabetes lol - always a silver lining.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are so many much worse than diabetes conditions that at times I feel happy I have just diabetes :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So very well put by @MrXile though.

Absolutely right, "there is always a silver lining.... "
I had totally forgotten that expression.
Thank you for reminding me of it.
I can use that more now... I have got good thoughts where I can use that, thankyou....

cattyneldon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 43 and dxed 2yrs ago, I get good days and I get really bad days, usually when my numbers are doing the see saw thing and I can't get them to behave . Then I get into the funk. Worst part is when I am feeling so low most people around just roll their eyes, like.... " ok you have diabetes, get over it already!" Depression here I come yay

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
So very well put by @MrXile though.

Absolutely right, "there is always a silver lining.... "
I had totally forgotten that expression.
Thank you for reminding me of it.
I can use that more now... I have got good thoughts where I can use that, thankyou....

I'm just glad I've a likeminded wife who is positive, regardless of the negatives and we're determined to not let this **** ruin our lives, we are going to embrace it, take it in, and become one with it, smiling as we go. Even when it's bad. Silver lining on everything.

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pinewoods answer was spot on. It is a doodle compared to other conditions. I have been diabetic for 25 years . It is an inconvenience but I have an active and good life. I have never asked why me. I just hope I don't get worse condition. Go out and enjoy yourself and respect your disease.

MrXile

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My pancreas.
Pinewoods answer is his opinion. I'm entitled to ask why me so soon after diagnosis.

I do respect it and to be told on here how I should feel about my diagnosis is a little elitist. Yes I asked for opinions, I didn't ask for instructions on how to act/feel.

I've had other problems over the years, one for instance where I couldn't walk for two whole years, I never asked why me to that, just got on with it.

It was a simple statement and question, has anyone felt why me? We all do in life regardless of perfect health or not, as we as humans are selfish. We question. What we shouldn't do is tell someone else how to react to their issues. That's more selfish than you realise.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pinewoods answer is his opinion. I'm entitled to ask why me so soon after diagnosis.

I do respect it and to be told on here how I should feel about my diagnosis is a little elitist. Yes I asked for opinions, I didn't ask for instructions on how to act/feel.

I've had other problems over the years, one for instance where I couldn't walk for two whole years, I never asked why me to that, just got on with it.

It was a simple statement and question, has anyone felt why me? We all do in life regardless of perfect health or not, as we as humans are selfish. We question. What we shouldn't do is tell someone else how to react to their issues. That's more selfish than you realise.
People mean well but can come across as selfish, insensitive etc.

It's natural, and part of the grieving process, to ask "why me?" I've been doing it myself for the last year (on and off) since my coeliac diagnosis. It isn't helpful for people to say the diagnosis could've been worse - or it's a lot better nowadays, as there's a lot more gluten free food in the shops. . . . I hate GF bread, I think GF biscuits are sickly sweet, I hate the fact that I can no longer eat my favourite crisps (Walkers baked crisps - any flavour) . . . but I know I can survive without them. . . . It's just unfair!

I know I will get over this. It took me about 2 years to accept fully my diabetes diagnosis. I was determined that I would accept coeliac disease quicker but unfortunately I don't think it will be much less than two years (the Festive Season brought that home to me.) However, I know I will get over it, despite the insensitive things others may say or do. You will too @MrXile . You and your wife will get through this and will learn to accept the ups and downs of diabetes.