Have I beaten it?

TuTusweet

After I was told by my slap dash GP "I think you have got diabetes" I decided to change my diet to lose weight and defeat diabetes. I lost 45 pounds until it stabilized. Since November 2013 when I was told my morning tests have slowly improved. It has been a very steady trend downwards. I take no tablets.
I've just checked back and since the start of October last year until today I've tested my BG on waking 26 times. Every Saturday and 8 other times out of curiosity. The highest was 5.8 the lowest 4.9 and the average was 5.3.
In early September 2016 my A1c was 5.7 (Hospital Lab).
On 4 December I had Sunday Lunch in a restaurant-- including potatoes in garlic cream Yorkshire puddings and Carrot cake with ice cream. (It was Christmas after all) After 2 hours my BG was 6.2 which I thought was within limits.
I have no intention of starting to eat potato, bread, cake, rice, pasta, pastry, puddings chocs or sweets ---all of which have been strictly controlled .
Questions. Do you think I can start to refer to diabetes in the past tense now? Is it too soon to stop being terrified by the drug companies' stories of blindness and feet dropping off?

Reactions: Prem51

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great achievement - well done! It seems like you are in control now rather than your diabetes being in control. I would guess that you can forget worrying about diabetic 'complications' and just get on with life and continue to maintain the dietary regime you've been following as it obviously has worked.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very impressing results you have reached, I am about where you are now, just scared that it will be worse if I loose my motivations , so I keep on loosing weight and excercising a lot... but this morning I tried to eat 50 grams of raisins in my lov fat yoghurt with oatmeal, and my number also didn´t exceed 5.9 after 2 hours, it was 5.3 before my meal... well well can we ever be sure it is reversed... as we do not want to challenge our good progress till now...

by the way the new life style is also much better I personally think..

some do claim they have reversed their diabetes and maybe they have..

at least it will be fine to be able to at seldome rare occations to eat just what all the others do at a party... and maybe thats where our results points at.. :)

Last edited:

wilmac56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too much exercise
So very pleased to hear your positive news!
Keep up the good work, continue to be vigilant, remember YOU are the Master, not the other way round !!
Wishing you well in the future.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have no intention of starting to eat potato, bread, cake, rice, pasta, pastry, puddings chocs or sweets ---all of which have been strictly controlled .
Well done, excellent results. So long as you keep up what I've quoted from your post everything should be good. Something to keep an eye on your BG though because as I'm just finding out carbs aren't the only things to convert to glucose in the body.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! And particularly well done on sticking to the straight and narrow for the last 3 years. Brilliant.
There is a lot of debate about whether we ever kick T2 properly, but with your numbers, and your attitude (and self control), I think you have a great chance of making this a very long term fix. :D

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done. I am sure that your changes are entirely sustainable and your resulting improved outcome is permanent. Stop worrying and enjoy your new lifestyle. Well done again.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You were never actually diagnosed, far as I can tell, but were at risk. You've done a fantastic, blinding job of getting your blood sugars, weight and health under control.

I'm in the same position, and admire everything you've done. Good work, hon, inspiring.

Should've added: No, I don't think we can ever stop being careful. But we eat SO much better on LCHF that it's an easy lifestyle. Going back to HCLF would be the torture. :hungry:

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You were never actually diagnosed, far as I can tell, but were at risk. You've done a fantastic, blinding job of getting your blood sugars, weight and health under control.

I'm in the same position, and admire everything you've done. Good work, hon, inspiring.

Should've added: No, I don't think we can ever stop being careful. But we eat SO much better on LCHF that it's an easy lifestyle. Going back to HCLF would be the torture. :hungry:

This is just so true. I see newbies come on here and are scared to embrace the LCHF lifestyle and yet when they do they have amazing results :)
I have been pushed by friends at Xmas etc to .. go on .. just have one.. it won't matter.. and I can honestly say.. I don't want it . This is my forever lifestyle and I love it :)

Reactions: jonbvn and Prem51

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is just so true. I see newbies come on here and are scared to embrace the LCHF lifestyle and yet when they do they have amazing results :)
I have been pushed by friends at Xmas etc to .. go on .. just have one.. it won't matter.. and I can honestly say.. I don't want it . This is my forever lifestyle and I love it :)

I had a mince pie at Chrissie and, quite honestly, wondered why I ever bothered. Sickly sweet, felt like brushing my teeth.

A few walnut halves with full-fat Greek yogurt and a strawberry on the side? There's a dessert to savour.

TuTusweet

kittypoker. Quite so. Do you also remember reading in my earlier posts about my slap-dash GP?
"Take one tablet a day [makers say 2 a day] and come back and see me in a year" must be a high point in medical history.
On the basis of a high A1c reading she went straight to Eucreas with no proper tests at all. It was World Diabetes Week so she was probably keen to get in the raffle for a car for hitting her target of new diagnoses.
When I told her I would cure it by diet she scorned and mocked me. "There is no such thing as "diet" just nonsense in newspapers about food" were her encouraging words.
So I had to prove the awful woman wrong.
I realise, as you hint, that I have probably beaten "pre-diabetes" and not the "real" thing but I still feel good about that. It has not been a walk in the park.
And now I face an annoying twist. A new blood pressure tablet (very effective and expensive) has side effects of, inter alia, weight gain, itchy skin, swollen feet and ankles, and blurred vision. An appalling trick played by fate and co-incidence.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All so true, a month ago I was in despair about LCHF. It was short lived, I actually love eating fat and salad and veg and loads of meat, oh and eggs, I love eggs.... Cheese gets a thumbs up too..

Even the Lidl protein rolls go down a treat, first taste I hated them.

Oh and nuts, I love nuts. Never eaten one in decades previously.

TuTusweet

All so true, a month ago I was in despair about LCHF. It was short lived, I actually love eating fat and salad and veg and loads of meat, oh and eggs, I love eggs.... Cheese gets a thumbs up too..

TuTusweet