How often do you replace your SD codefree meter?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've recently tried getting back on track and been really good for over a week now but my numbers are still high. My dad is on insulin and therefore has a decent meter so I decided to try his. Reading was 9.1 on my sd codefree and 6.8 on his meter.......so I've been panicking all week for nothing! I've had my meter for about 2 or 3 years and just ordered more strips last night. My current strips are not out of date. Is it time to buy another meter?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tricky one. With only two meters you don't know which is "out". They both might be... having said that SD does have a rep for being high... but not that high. When I had one and side tested with a Bayer Next it usually was 0.5 higher, which is within the error limits of these tests. If you can, test side by side over a longer time and use the same blood sample and see what you get.
I gave up on my SD as it had a mind of it's own, forgetting dates, cutting out when counting down after a sample and sometimes just not waking up even after replacing battery... Bayer is way more expensive and I've cut back on my testing to just my morning...
good luck

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@hankjam my first SD Codefree did just that after 9 months. They replaced it for me. I've had my second one since June 2015 and all is well still. Touch wood.

@chocoholicnomore did you re-test that 9.1? We all get rogue readings from time to time, usually because of finger contamination but also we do get rogue strips sometimes, or a bad tub of strips. Its always worth re-testing when you get a silly number. Codefree reads about 0.5 higher than my Accu Chek Mobile on average.

I doubt it makes any difference at all using the same spot of blood for 2 tests. There are loads of haemoglobin cells in that drop of blood, and each one will have a different amount of glucose in it. You may just as well wash hands and prick again.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, turns out it was my strips! Got new ones today. Tested with old strip 9.5 and new strip immediately afterwards was 5.8. So, I'm very happy.......numbers are a lot better than I thought and I don't need to fork out for a new meter just yet.