Type 2 Hands drying out

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since starting testing - generally 7 times a day - I'm having real issues with dry and cracked skin on my hands. Guess it's caused by all the extra hand washing! Have bought some moisturiser it doesn't seem to be doing much good. Any suggestions?

I'm allergic to most creams and cosmetics with any sort of scent, and any with lanolin in them - currently using unscented Nutrogena.

Thanks.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since starting testing - generally 7 times a day - I'm having real issues with dry and cracked skin on my hands. Guess it's caused by all the extra hand washing! Have bought some moisturiser it doesn't seem to be doing much good. Any suggestions?

I'm allergic to most creams and cosmetics with any sort of scent, and any with lanolin in them - currently using unscented Nutrogena.

Thanks.

Have you tried any of the E45 range? Not sure if they do a hand cream as such though. I've been using the shower cream on my face for years and would never touch soaps of face washers ever again

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply. The E45 products have lanolin in them, so no good for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks.

When I'm sailing a lot, my hands tough up a little bit, although not outrageously, however when I then come home and my hands aren't getting such a work out, I find the skin peels and flakes. It's such a fetching look.

Anyway, to deal with it, I find a couple of days of slopping aqueuos cream and the some white cotton gloves before I go to bed. Obviously the gloves absorb some of the cream, so it is slathered on before the gloves.

I just go for something cheap as the longer application seems to be important when going through that phase. Nutrogena or the other standard hand creams work for a while, when applied.

Thankfully this only lasts a few days, although it does sometimes happen again a couple of weeks later if, for some reason, I spend more time than usual with my hands in spay water.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried O'Keeffe's, Working Hands, Hand Cream

As far as I can find it contains this lot ....
Water, glycerin, stearic acid, dimethicone, ceteth-10, laureth-4, paraffin, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, allantoin, ammonium hydroxide, octyldodecyl stearate, diazolidinyl urea, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, acrylates/acrylamide copolymer, boric acid, mineral oil, polysorbate 85

I don't use it but a friend of mine is very impressed and says it leave no smell or unpleasant feeling on her hands

Reactions: Goonergal

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mist once told me to use coconut oil and Yes it is fantastic use it too right before going to sleep

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a baby wipe, the just water sort, to clean off my hands. I am usually using all sorts of stuff to do with my knitting machine work and I have always used baby wipes since I had the babies - the oldest has 3 and 1/3rd offspring of his own now. They seem to clean well enough and I have never had a problem except when I use the super harsh solvent and I use a barrier cream before and coconut oil afterwards - it is an extremely effective grease remover. I need to do the work in the morning and test in the evening when I've used that stuff.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Lotil is really good, you can get it from Boots or online. When my thumbs crack just plain Vaseline helps (smaller area) x

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Organic argan oil one drop cures my split cuticles in the winter.Pure coconut oil or shea butter is also amazing for my dry hands.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aqueous Cream - I get really dry hands which flare up between the knuckles and this sorts it out.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get Doublebase gel prescribed by my GP. It is available OTC.