Lyxumia

ribbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been Type 2 for a year or 3 now and have struggled to get my readings down despite addressing diet etc. Started on Metformin and its SR counterpart but couldn't handle the side effects so now on 320mg Gliclazide and until yesterday 100mg Sitagliptin. Now I've started the Lyxumia injections but notice there are next to no threads/disscusions about it and wonder if anyone has tried it.

Reactions: 2 people

Radders

I started injecting with Lyxumia 2 months ago. I had been through the oral drugs and either had too many side effects or they didn't control well. Anyhoo despite losing loads of weight and behaving myself and doing as told, nothing helped. I went on to Lyxumia 2 months ago as I said before and my control is amazing - I have gone from BGs in the mid to high teens all the time to 4.8-8.7 daily. I cannot emphasise enough how it has change my life. I have gone from being very ill, mentally and physically, all the time to feeling 20 years younger. My body feels light, clean, and pain free. I can think clearly for the first time in years! And best of all, I am losing more weight!

Lyxumia acts in three ways if I remember correctly:

1. It forces the pancreas to secrete more insulin
2. It stops the liver pumping out glucogen (?sp)
3. it delays the emptying of the stomach so you feel fuller for longer

I have lost more than 9 kilos in the last 8 weeks. I only had side effects the first few weeks and they were fairly mild compared to the oral meds I've previously taken.

Hope this helps

chattychicken

I started Lyxumia about 5 weeks ago having been unable to tolerate Metformin.
The first two weeks starter dose is half the regular dose, and for the first 3 or 4 days I did feel sick a lot of the time and did get palpitations, however I could see my BG coming down almost instantly. After a few days I felt a lot better so continued.

Am now on the full dose, and again when I started that I felt sick for a few days and had palpitations etc - but am much better now.
Have lost over a stone since starting. I think it is the combination of not feeling much like eating along with doing low carbs.

Dress size down, BG down.... all good!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I started taking Lyxumia yesterday and wonder if I can ask a few questions? I am injecting in the morning so do I need to eat breakfast? And also what should I do if I have a lay in at the weekend and miss the time of my injection? Thanks.

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the process of having to take insulin as metformin and glicazide not lowering bs enough I thought I was doing ok but blood test done Xmas Eve came back at 85 but 3 mths ago it was 99 just before each blood test I had just finished a course of antibiotics and steroids for a chest infection for asthma problems and these drugs always raise bs I am scared about taking insulin I have an appointment next week in which my husband has to come along as well so she can talk to me about it I thought my bs reading was good at 85 at least it's coming down I didn't overdo things at Christmas and even lost 3 lbs in weight can I refuse insulin ? And carry on with the pills or will I benefit from taking insulin ? I have to admit I get some hypos with the glicazide and am quite scared that I will be more prone to hypo's once I'm on insulin .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ribbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since strating the injections I only felt sick for 1 day and that was going from the 10mg to 20mg dose. Always take it to work with me and inject when when I'm finished as it takes approx 30 minutes to get home and dinner is always ready. Have lost about 1/2 a stone - sorry still work in english - in the time I've been on it, hopefully when I go back to the hospital at the end of the month we will be able to say we are making progress, due to have more blood tests later in the week.

chattychicken

Update with first set of HBC1A results.

Have been on Lyxumia now for 10 weeks - previous HBC1A was 11.1..... now down to 7.3.

Cholesterol down too even though on low carb diet and eating bacon and eggs almost daily!

Weight loss now 1 1/2 stone.

All side effects no longer present.

I think the combination of the injection with the diet has really worked. If I do have carbs it shoots my BG right up.

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just a few questions kf people dnt mind as i cant tolerate most of the medication i was woundering if to go to my doctors and ask about this i have an hietus hernia would this be a problem for me as anyone experienced any stomach problems with this medication my levels are ranging anything from 6.0 in the morning to 14.5 b4 going to bed would you think i would b ok on this thanks for any input or advice as am loosing the will at the moment with my readings all over the place

Reactions: majnoon

Paul12345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
diabetes
I have started this 2 weeks ago and my BS is still stubbornly high, I still have an appetite but follow low carb diet, start higher dose tomorrow. I also take 2000 mg Metformin? Has anyone else experienced continued high bs on this drug?

Aliboo64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty. being in physical pain with my disability. Feeling 'drugged' out on prescribed medication that's needed for pain. Sleep problems.
I am on this 20mcg injection once a day in the morning and 50 units of insulin in the evening before bed. I also take SR Metformin 1 gram with my evening meal. I started this regime at the end of July,when my Hb1ac was 98! My fasting bs was up in the 20s! This morning my bs was 5.5. My hb1ac was 69 two weeks ago and the nurse says it will go down more next time. I have lost 37 pounds since being on these injections. I am beginning to feel like a new person. I still have loads to lose but so far so good. I am on a 40 gm of carbs per meal . Using a carbs and cals app I'm able to record everything and it's been a big help. So to answer the OP question, yes it's helped me lose weight.

MDAVIES65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Been on the injection for just over 12 months. No real side effects ( unless you count wind). Since starting the injection I have lost nearly 2.5 stone, but some of that will be to do with better diet and a 30 minute daily fast walk. My bg's have come down from 10's down to mid 5's, so happy with that. I also take Metformin 3 times daily and 3 gliclazide daily. Did have a few lows to start with but this has settled down. You must always eat with in 60 minutes of the injection. I usually do my injection at about 7am, but weekends this could be as late as 8.30, not had any issues with this and my DN says it does not cause any issues if it is slightly later.

doug-dinsdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am starting tomorrow (13th Feb 2016). I can't believe all your comments about weight loss. I am going nowhere with a half hour of cardio (cross-trainer) and weights daily.
I know I should be MORE concerned with blood sugar....looking forward to these dropping from 12,13,14 to something more reasonable. Will report back soonest. I say a sincere "Good Luck" to everyone as I am recovering from my left foot falling off. It's bad, but it's not that bad - at least I am still alive.

doug-dinsdale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on this 20mcg injection once a day in the morning and 50 units of insulin in the evening before bed. I also take SR Metformin 1 gram with my evening meal. I started this regime at the end of July,when my Hb1ac was 98! My fasting bs was up in the 20s! This morning my bs was 5.5. My hb1ac was 69 two weeks ago and the nurse says it will go down more next time. I have lost 37 pounds since being on these injections. I am beginning to feel like a new person. I still have loads to lose but so far so good. I am on a 40 gm of carbs per meal . Using a carbs and cals app I'm able to record everything and it's been a big help. So to answer the OP question, yes it's helped me lose weight.
Well bloody done - keep it up !!!

Tillysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm starting the higher dose tomorrow and am looking forward to even better BG control. I'd started low carb eating the week before starting Lyxumia so was losing weight anyhow. Don't much like my digestion changing but diarrhoea negligible compared to non-SR Metformin! Had a bit of nausea and loss of appetite. This second week I've had persistent back pain which is giving me an "excuse" to avoid exercise, so I hope it will go away soon! This seems a much better option than Gliclazide etc, any hypo tendency coming along slowly ...

Aliboo64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty. being in physical pain with my disability. Feeling 'drugged' out on prescribed medication that's needed for pain. Sleep problems.

shez

I started this 12 months ago after a hb1ac came in at just over 12 just had another test 12 months later and got a reading of 7.2 first time a doc has ever said its good to me oh I have also dropped 3-4 clothes sizes completed a 5k mud run (no I didn't run it all but I completed it ) and go to boxercise once or twice a week also off one of my bp tablets

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just starting on this and have a question about the timing of when you inject.

We never eat at the same time on any days. We could eat our main evening meal any time from 7 to 9 pm. It says in my info pack to take it the same time every day, but it also says to take it in the hour before your main meal. Am I OK to just take it in the hour before my main meal, even though that time is going to vary a lot?

Also, what do you do about injecting if you are away from home - staying with friends, in a hotel or just going out for a meal in the evening. Are there logistical problems involved with injecting Lyxumia?

shez

Hi Rosie
I was told to do my injection first thing in the morning it's then roughly the same time give or take a couple of hours, but I was also told I couldn't take my metformin at the same time this bit they told me 2 years later lol
As for injecting away from home I just get on with it even injected on a flight to Thailand whilst sat in my seat, at the end of the day we need the meds more than bothering about what others think

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My DN said take it in the hour before my main meal of the day and no mention was made of the Metformin.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started injecting with Lyxumia 2 months ago. I had been through the oral drugs and either had too many side effects or they didn't control well. Anyhoo despite losing loads of weight and behaving myself and doing as told, nothing helped. I went on to Lyxumia 2 months ago as I said before and my control is amazing - I have gone from BGs in the mid to high teens all the time to 4.8-8.7 daily. I cannot emphasise enough how it has change my life. I have gone from being very ill, mentally and physically, all the time to feeling 20 years younger. My body feels light, clean, and pain free. I can think clearly for the first time in years! And best of all, I am losing more weight!

Lyxumia acts in three ways if I remember correctly:

1. It forces the pancreas to secrete more insulin
2. It stops the liver pumping out glucogen (?sp)
3. it delays the emptying of the stomach so you feel fuller for longer

I have lost more than 9 kilos in the last 8 weeks. I only had side effects the first few weeks and they were fairly mild compared to the oral meds I've previously taken.

Hope this helps
Hi, be been on the low dose of lyxumia for 3 months as oral meds had so many side effects. But even after all this time i still get headaches and nausia every day. Going on the higher dose next week too.