Type 1 - don't want to inject

Riksta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys and girls.
I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 2 years and 3 months now. I have to take levimer in the morning and at night and I am on nova rapid whenever I eat. My problem is I can't seem to want to inject anymore. I no it sounds stupid and I no what will happen if I don't inject. I've been like this for a couple of months now. Is anyone else like this or been like this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi guys and girls.
I am type 1 diabetic and have been for 2 years and 3 months now. I have to take levimer in the morning and at night and I am on nova rapid whenever I eat. My problem is I can't seem to want to inject anymore. I no it sounds stupid and I no what will happen if I don't inject. I've been like this for a couple of months now. Is anyone else like this or been like this?

Riksta, I will be honest and say it's never crossed my mind, I have a strong desire to stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can so knowing that by taking my insulin means I can stay well controlled and enjoy a healthy life is my number 1 priority. As Azure says do you know why you'r feeling like this ?

My advice is to contact your DSN and arrange an appointment to see them, it may be you are experiencing a burnout phase so speaking to your team could help get you focused on working through these feelings, it sounds like you need some support right now, so I hope you get this.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riksta, I've only been on insulin for about 5 weeks now, but I also have some mental health issues that affect me. When I'm stressed and/or in a depressive episode, I develop problems with avoidant behavior that becomes really bad in many aspects of my life. I'm in therapy for this however! Although I've been doing well so far, I have moments where I go low mood wise, and I struggle to take out my supplies, test and inject. It becomes very tempting to just not do it and eat whatever, despite knowing how bad that would be. This is at only 5 weeks in, so I don't know what it will be in the long term, but I suppose I can relate to your situation in a way!

For me personally, I know where this urge to not bother with my injections comes from. Knowing why I feel this way is what helps me to ground myself (utilizing exercises from my therapy) and I continue to do well with my management. As the others said, I think it's highly beneficial to talk to your team and find out where your feelings are coming from. Once you know where and why, you can take the appropriate steps to get your control back. :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

genix

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no problems with injecting but I have terrible problems with high sugars and if I cant find a needle or bottle of insulin to inject I start to panic and get quite anxious. Like azure said is there any reason you don't want to inject?

Reactions: Juicyj

Riksta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was really good to start with, constantly testing and injecting. Then over time it became less and less and now it's never. I'm not in denial I have diabetes and that's my life. I don't have a support team as I don't have a diabetic nurse. I find it hard to talk to people who don't have this as it's the same answers you receive back. I suppose that testing is the problem and not actually injecting. I guess this is something I will just have to get used to

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I was really good to start with, constantly testing and injecting. Then over time it became less and less and now it's never. I'm not in denial I have diabetes and that's my life. I don't have a support team as I don't have a diabetic nurse. I find it hard to talk to people who don't have this as it's the same answers you receive back. I suppose that testing is the problem and not actually injecting. I guess this is something I will just have to get used to

Everyone has to get used it... it's a different way of living, totally different. You either learn to deal with it, be proactive and positive. Get into a routine of what works for you and do what you have to do. Get on with life. Or die an early death and suffer the debilitating, miserable, depressing complications along the way.

We all suffer hiccups along the way, just how it is. If you need people to talk to, here is a pretty good place for that. not the same as sitting down with someone over lunch or whatever, but it sure beats nothing!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's how you look at it, I think. In the early 20th century before the discovery of insulin, Type 1 was a terminal illness. But now we have insulin to keep us alive and healthy, so that makes injections a positive thing.

What is it about testing you don't like? Are you worried about getting bad numbers? Does it hurt?

Do you see a consultant? Can you get referred to one if not? Or could you phone your local diabetes centre for support?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Try to take each day at time, your common sense is telling you that you need to test and inject so try to look at this in a positive way, that each time you do this you are investing in you and your health and that it will make you feel better. Running high BG levels can cloud your judgement and slow down your thought process, so by keeping on top of it will make you feel so much better. We don't need to be reminded of the consequences if we don't do but even in the short term the benefits are huge. Personally I cannot stand running high as it makes me slow and sluggish, I also can become bad tempered so I do my best to stay within range as much as I can. Staying in range means a sharper mind and a more efficient body. Getting to the root of your feelings will explain why are you feeling the way you do, so do you think it's denial ?

You can access support, do you have a yearly appointment with your consultant ?

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys and girls.
Riksta, do you mind me asking, is it a case of not wanting to inject, or not being able to?

I've only been T1d since November 15 and have major issues injecting myself. I've got novofine covers for my needles, I've got the smallest needle possible and I'm also on honeymoon right now, so only have my background Lantus, but still it takes me a good half hour each morning to inject. It's not through the unwillingness or not wanting to, it's the pure fear of needles and I can't think or understand why. So much so, I've bruised the hell put of my stomach because I close my eyes and launch the lantus at myself so I don't have to watch the dial down. We've all got our own limits/restrictions and issues, but a fresh set of eyes helping you look into this may help bring a scenario to fruition.

Hope you keep well.
Best
Phil

Alison_C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys and girls.

I've been diabetic for over 17 years now, I was diagnosed at 14 and I can say I have absolutely felt like you are feeling. I don't think it's stupid to feel the way you do, just because diabetes is treatable now it doesn't mean it's easy, it's a complete change to your whole life and it can get you down, especially if you remember how it was before you were diagnosed.
I went through long periods of not checking my blood glucose levels and only taking what i needed to make me feel ok, but it eventually caught up to me and i ended up in hospital in dka and on drips, I've never felt so ill in my life and it was what i needed to get myself together.
It helps to have other people to talk to that have diabetes, as i've gotten older i've met more people my age with diabetes and it's helped having friends that can relate to how you're feeling. Perhaps your clinic can point you in the right direction to a support group or someone else you can talk to. Don't let yourself end up unwell like I did, it's difficult to find a balance and it gets on top of you but it is worth it.

tonyscowen_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can see where you are coming from, I diagnosed at the age of 5 and now 47 years old, I have witnessed many changes including high fat diet, insulin injections by needle & syringe (cusoms/police loved me being picked for carrying them on more tham one occasion) to prior to bm testing carrying my clinitest kit (urine testing).

Its not everybody cup of tea I grew up with parents who were active members of the local BDA I carried this until I got married representing Guernsey at Branch conference & also sitting on the CI region committee - I grew up in Guernsey but now live in Lincolnshire.

I don't want to woffle on but through this I was lucky enough to do 2 tours on the Lord Nelson & tp attend the YD Project camp on the Loch Tay & yearly conference at Birmingham for diabetes between the ages of 18 to 25.

Meeting othet diabetes is helpful & morale booster, I am now on an insulin pump & havent look back since moving onto it & its only a cannula change every 3 days.

Tony

Reactions: azure

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riksta. If you don't have a DSN then you need to get one urgently. If you go to the nurse at your GP's clinic if she is not a Diabetic nurse she will be able to get you an urgent appointment with your nearest hospital. I had problems when I first came back after living abroad. Saw the nurse at the surgery and I had an appointment with my hospital's DSN and consultant the next day. You really need support so please go to your local surgery ASAP. Please let me know how you get on

Reactions: col101

Smiric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Look into a pump if you don't like injections. Personally though, the injections are fine and are nothing more than a minor inconvenience. The main pain in the **** is the constant cognitive load involved in trying to maintain normal blood sugars, and with the added pressure of knowing that if you don't, you're screwing over your entire body (not forgetting the brain) & are more likely to develop any or many of the plethora of ******** related to this condition.

Smiric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Look into a pump if you don't like injections. Personally though, the injections are fine and are nothing more than a minor inconvenience. The main pain in the **** is the constant cognitive load involved in trying to maintain normal blood sugars, and with the added pressure of knowing that if you don't, you're screwing over your entire body (not forgetting the brain) & are more likely to develop any or many of the plethora of ******** related to this condition.