Can I Go To Dafne Course

andy75006

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all , i have the diabetic clinic this afternoon and was wondering what the criteria is for attending a Dafne course and if it is worth asking them at the clinic to refer me , I am a type 2 on insulin 4 times a day but i am struggling with the amounts to take and i feel as though i have just been left to deal with it on my own :( and its very confusing for me having hypos even though i rarely seem to have any blood glucose readings in single figures 2 hours after meals .
I was diagnosed last September and put on insulin 10 days after diagnosis but due to lack of help (although i am stalking everyone on here trying to learn as much as i can :lol: ) it still feels very new to me , will i ever get used to this ??? .
I am a very fussy eater so i am afraid a low/no carb diet is just not for me but i am eating a bit more healthily compared to how i used to .

Thanks xxx

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi andy,

I'm pretty sure the DAFNE course isn't available to type 2's using insulin such as yourself. but i saw your post and out of curiosity and wanting to lend a helping hand using the power of google i found this....

http://www.desmond-project.org.uk/aboutus-269.html

I had a quick read of a few pages and i didnt read in enough detail to see if it includes Insulin usage but this is a course designed for People with type 2 Diabetes :)

I'm sure someone who has previously been in your unfortunate position can advise you alot better than i can but i didnt want your post to slide down with 0 replies as other people post so maybe you can start here :)

Good luck and i hope everything goes well for you. x

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
Celebratory status, insane wages high fashion and womens make-up
(I'll get shot syaing things like that! :o))
Hi Andy,
Having just been on the DESMOND coure, I can say this was not geared at all to Type 2 insulin users. Rather, it concentrated on diabetes in general and seemed to relate to newly diagnosed 'pre-diabetes' and diet/pill controlled type 2 diabetes.

I was the only one there on insulin and the SDN was surprised to see me. The Desmond course was booked when I was first diagnosed and they had just started me on metformin etc. and I suspect this was not updated on my notes.

Having said that, I did find it a very useful 'information and discussion' day and, for all my research & reading about diabetes, there were plenty of things new to me and the day helped to 'get things together' in my mind. I would recommend it to all, but any 'big heads' might find it a bit of a trial as it is geared to speak to everyone. There was also plenty of one-to-one time for specific problems.

I came across this site :-

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/diabeteseducation.htm#w
which says :-

"For insulin users, the DAFNE or BERTIE or insulin pump courses are highly recommended. It teaches people how to achieve food control and how to adjust insulin in their everyday life, see.

For newly diagnosed non-insulin users, the DESMOND course is recommended. For long-standing type 2 patients, the XPERT program is very helpful.

These are very very important programs that should be made available by GPs. Very few general practices provide such training. The NHS diabetes framework strongly advises such a course is made available to patients, and I believe patients should insist they attend one. Eventually they should be available to all people with diabetes near home. Ophthalmologists should be involved. Only 1/100 patients have attended a structured education program such as DAFNE or DESMOND, despite this being an NSF target from about 2005 (Liverpool 2007).
"

The key word here is 'should'

This is the Dafne website :-

http://www.dafne.uk.com/index.php

It would be worth contacting them and asking if you would be eligible and where courses are being held

I am in the same boat, insulin treated type 2 , according to the Doc and type 1 according to the SD Nurse ...... go figure ! :? )

be good and be lucky

Dave

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the DAFNE site mentioned above there is a thread ' TYPE 2 and DAFNE in the Questions for HCPs part of the Forum .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Bit confused about that Phoenix. :? Which link do you mean. There is no forum that I can see and the HCP bit says it is under development.

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Doctors who think they know more than they do and are too arrogant to refer you on when they reach the limits of their ability.
I think he means this from the Dafne site home page > People with Type Diabetes > FAQs

Qn. I have Type 2 diabetes, would DAFNE be suitable for me?

DAFNE was developed for people with Type 1 diabetes and as such is not appropriate for people with Type 2 diabetes. There is no evidence that intensive insulin therapy is of benefit for people with Type 2 diabetes. :shock: :shock:

There are programmes that have been specifically developed for people with Type 2 diabetes which are available. Examples can be found at the DESMOND website and the X-PERT Health website.

Hmmmm .... So if my Diabetic Consultant says I have type 2, then the sole means of Glucose control she Prescribes, ie. Insulin .... is not of any benefit to me - What Cobblers !!

(one or the other must be wrong - hence my confusion)

I am certain there is a case to be made for entry to the DAFNE course if you are on insulin whether it is type 1 or type 2 that you have. The need to get the food/insulin/exercise balance correct is exactly the same !!

Cheers

Dave

Incidentally, just above the FAQ's section there is another called 'how do I access a Dafne course' and there is a list in there of locations where the course is run

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Cheers Mate

The 'Thick Plottens' :D

Maybe I should write in and ask if the accept insulin dependant Type 3c's :shock:
That would extend their forum thread a bit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Insulin Resistance does not seem to be an issue for me as Metformin has no effect.
My Problem is that I only have three parts of four fifths of **** all pancreas left - the rest has eaten itself :?

Dave

Franky69uk

I'm type 2 diet and metfromine controlled. Was invited by diabetic nurse to go on Dafne and I was only too willing to give it a go. I thought the nurses worked very hard on the course and provided us with a lot of useful information. It certainly was not a waste of time for me. Was not aware of any insulin dependent Type 2's but that is not to say that they wern't there.
I would certainly say give it a go if you get the chance. The more information you can gather the greater the chances of controlling your Diabetes.

badmedisin

In reality it shouldn't matter that you are type 2. You're on insulin so you face exactly the same challenges as type 1. That is, matching your insulin dose to the carbs you eat in order to keep your glucose levels within a target range. So the dafne course would probably be helpful to you as you probably have more in common with type 1s than with type 2s not on insulin.

The problem is whether your doctor or nurse will refer you and whether the course will accept you, cos it's technically just for type 1, and there are issues with funding, blah blah blah... No idea why they want to fund so much less for type 2s!

When I did dafne they said they had problems filling all the course places cos people were reluctant to take 5 days off work (not me, anything to get out of the office!). But I think they would have preferred to have a type 2 sneak in rather than waste a place. So I reckon its worth putting on your nicest smile and doing a bit of blagging! Explain your situation to everyone - doctors, nurses, dafne co-ordinators, practice managers, the chief exec of your PCT, and anyone who will listen. Hopefully you'll find someone understanding or even just someone who will put you on the course to shut you up! It's worth a try - anything that can help you control your diabetes better is worth the work :)
good luck!

andy75006

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all thanks for all your replies i really do appreciate them .

Just let you know that i am eligible to do the Dafne course at my local hospital although it may take up to a year due to a very long waiting list , so until then i will just have to bother you all here whenever something else occurs that i don't yet understand :lol: .

Oh yeah forgot to mention why all of a sudden am i eligible for the course ...... I am a type 1 diabetic and not type 2 like every other nurse/doctor has told me , not too sure if this is good or bad or why they couldn't actually read my notes from the start and tell me this :? :? :?

leather_ferret

Dislikes
Glad that is all sorted Andy

All I need now is for my Diabetes consultant to call a 'Pig' a 'Pig' instead of a 'Dog'. :lol:

Everyone but her recognises Type 1 when they see it.

so far as whether it is better or worse, no difference that I can see...... You still need the insulin and appropraite diet & exercise.

be good and be lucky

Dave

busybee2010

i have a hospital appointment at the diabetic unit to see if i can get on the dafne course i am type 2 on insulin will they except me on the course

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
Hi Type 2s aren't eligile for DAFNE. The method of insulin calculation/dosing that is dealt with on the course isn't shown to benefit type 2s and seeing as the course costs around £700 per participant, and there is a waiting list for type 1s - I waited about a year, type 2s aren't accepted. It probably wouldn't help very much. You just need to make an appointment with a GOOD DSN - they should be able to help.