Hello

Cazkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there anything that a type 1 can eat whenever they want as a treat without having to worry about carbs.. insulin.. shouldn't have ate that kind of thing... eat when you just fancy and as often as you like.x

Reactions: Liam1955

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't know about eating as often as you like but I find nuts are a good snack which have a low impact on blood sugars.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not diabetic so can't fully understand, but I don't think there's anything you can eat at will, whether or not you're diabetic.

I occasionally snack on small cubes of cheese wrapped in ham as I low carb, or walnuts in full-fat yogurt. Beef jerky? That's very filling.

Cazkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah see I think it's only cheese that I could snack on. I don't like meat or fish.im not a vegetarian because I like cheese,egg but not meat and fish.. I just think it would be so nice to be able to have a treat as often as you like without any worries.xx

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is this your first time here? Welcome! It's a really lovely place with the kindest people you'd ever hope to meet. :)

Reactions: Cazkie

Cazkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So cheese is also another snack as well as nuts... I wonder if there would be anything else we would be able to eat without having to remember "oh I can't I'm type 1 diabetic " :( and by the way I don't eat much and I'm not over weight,I'm a new diabetic since July and beat cancer also in july.x

Reactions: nessa1970

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even if you're not eating carbs for a meal or snacks I would think it still wise to eat to your meter and test beforehand.

If you like eggs you could boil a couple for snacks? I saw a pack in the shop the other day which had them paired with mustard mayo. Made some myself this weekend and it was a lovely low carb treat. I still tested before I had it even though I didn't need to take insulin for it.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I don't think there is much you can eat without giving some thought to the diabetes. Cucumber, lettuce..... Hmmmm there must be something better......

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah see I think it's only cheese that I could snack on. I don't like meat or fish.im not a vegetarian because I like cheese,egg but not meat and fish.. I just think it would be so nice to be able to have a treat as often as you like without any worries.xx

Oh, I so wish there was something like that. Pork scratchings are an option, available in any supermarket and, for most, neutral on the blood sugar. Hubby loves them, not for me but could be for you. Might be worth trying, but check if they have any additives which affect your insulin levels. Better be safe than sorry, so be careful.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Cazkie - Have you thought about a handful of raw Nuts. They are good as a snack and great for lowering and controlling blood sugars = Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans and Cashews.

Last edited:

Knighthawk22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ahaha !!!
I'm type 2 so may differ but I have found rice crackers don't affect my blood levels at all compared to crisps and they come in a few flavours, sweet chilli, sour cream, salt and vinegar. Nice for a snack if you prefer savoury over sweet.

devexity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Egg mayonnaise, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, fried eggs. I'm a big fan of eggs.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meat, but not too much or you'll have to bolus! A few squares of 85% chocolate is also low in carbs so shouldn't cause too much of a spike, I certainly wouldn't need to bolus for 20g of 85% choc :)

A

asparagusp

Olives/antipasti! Marks and Spencer do quite a big jar of Spanish black olives in brine for £1! The olives themselves are not salty. Another snack could be a plain unsweetened Greek yoghurt (with some raspberries/blueberries and flaked almonds) Also unsweetened cocoa, (not drinking chocolate) depending on you blood sugars.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I'm type 2 so may differ but I have found rice crackers don't affect my blood levels at all compared to crisps and they come in a few flavours, sweet chilli, sour cream, salt and vinegar. Nice for a snack if you prefer savoury over sweet.

Yes, I too snack on these Rice Cakes in the evening too - my favourite are the cheese ones.

Reactions: Knighthawk22