Dukan diet

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys

Has anyone looked into this diet?

Its been compared to Atkins but low fat. I have been doing Atkins since being diagnosed & have lost over 50lbs but my cholesterol has gone up to 8. My doctor has advised that I need to low fat & low carb but from experience I know my carbs shouldn't be as low as 20g per day if I'm also doing low fat. I have been limiting my carbs to 50g per day (thats still fairly low isn't it?) and counting calories but just wondered if the extra 30g of carbs would have an affect on my b/s as my hba1c has gone down.

I just wondered if the lack of any carbs on the protein days would not be a good for a diabetic?

Here's the link to the website dukandiet.co.uk/

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Linzi.x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This diet relies heavily on a high protein consumption so may not be good for anyone with existing Kidney damage.

Also , in the Consolidation Phase you add things like bread , potatoes etc, again not perhaps good for blood sugar levels. This is not a diabetic diet as such.

ditzeeblonde

Thanks guys... at first read I didn't think it would be suitable but as a newbie diabetic wanted some advise from you knowledgable ones!! :D

I think as the saying goes 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' so I shall stick at what is working for me.

Thank you. x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Eating to control your diabetes is a lifestyle change not a diet ! :D

You have to work out what you like to eat, then, by carb counting and portion control you can have something to keep you going for the rest of your life.

The side benefit is that you also can lose weight as well. :D

ditzeeblonde

Thanks Sue..

Having been on Atkins I got terribly bored & am now feeling like I'm a kid in a candy shop (bad analogy I know) that by upping my carbs & watching my calorie intake I'm enjoying & looking forward to what I'm eating!! Today I was so excited to have some hummus & ryvita for lunch... :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
ditzeeblonde
I don't understand why your Cholesterol has gone up on Atkins. Usually, it goes DOWN. Do you have the breakdown of LDL, HDL and triglycerides? Total cholesterol numbers aren't much use really.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
PS
Linzi
how long is it since you were diagnosed?
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
To somebody like DB who was only diagnosed at the New Year, it's in her signature BTW, the Total Cholesterol numbers might mean a lot. That number indicates a trend up/down and is easily understood. So to many they do mean something. They are also an incentive when you can see the TC level going down, rather than up.

They certainly were to me when mine started to climb, it was then I found out about the breakdown of lipid levels etc. TC is still a valid measurement.

I am sure she isn't yet as aware as many of us that the TC numbers are better if broken down into the TG, HDL, LDL levels yet. Give it time, I am certain she is learning the intricacies......we aren't all scientists.

Ken

ditzeeblonde

All I was told that my cholesterol had gone up to 8.. didn't ask as I wasn't sure I needed to know anything else. I will ask at my next test which is at the beginning of next month, have been put on statins to help lower it.

It did throw me off course foodwise as I was settled into low carbing Atkins style (20g p/d) & have had to rethink things & have just got my head around low carbing (50-70g p/d) & low fat, but I am concerned about rising protein levels if I'm cutting other stuff out as I don't want to risk kidney disease either!!

This is my nutritional data from yesterday.. does this look ok to you guys?

Nutrition Summary
Calories (kcal) 1272
Protein (g) 145.9
Carbohydrate (g) 32.4
Fat (g) 58.6
Fibre (g) 15.1
Fruit & Veg 6.7
Water (litres) 5.0

Sorry for all the questions feel very flummoxed by the cholesterol news... just as I'd kinda got my head around the diabetes news.

ditzeeblonde

hanadr said:
ditzeeblonde
I don't understand why your Cholesterol has gone up on Atkins. Usually, it goes DOWN. Do you have the breakdown of LDL, HDL and triglycerides? Total cholesterol numbers aren't much use really.

Thats exactly what I thought as before its helped me keep my cholesterol steady.

I was diagnosed on New Years Eve so am nearly at my 5 month anniversary! :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a look on French sources for the Dukan diet.
Quasi official sources said it was too high in protein, too low in carbs, too low in fat(!) and too low in fibre and that in its initial stages weight loss may be to fast to be healthy.
On diabetes forums I found one person who had used it sucessfully, several that had tried it but found they got too tired, too constipated or didn't loose the expected weight. Many people replying on forums were concerned with the very high protein intake and suggested discussing it with doctors or dietitians.

ditzeeblonde

phoenix said:
I had a look on French sources for the Dukan diet.
Quasi official sources said it was too high in protein, too low in carbs, too low in fat(!) and too low in fibre and that in its initial stages weight loss may be to fast to be healthy.
On diabetes forums I found one person who had used it sucessfully, several that had tried it but found they got too tired, too constipated or didn't loose the expected weight. Many people replying on forums were concerned with the very high protein intake and suggested discussing it with doctors or dietitians.

Thank you... will be steering clear. xx

MRSDUMPLIN

Hi all,
I have a real problem with carbs, I went to see the doctor to ask for some carbohydrate intolerance tests as I had an incident with a crumpet.. blood sugars sky high and felt like I'd had the energy sucked out of me in 10 mins of eatng it which lasted till 4pm.....and he suggested I consider being referred for a gastric bypass... :roll:

I came across Dukan through a friend as she knew I was looking for a low carb diet, I have now done 5 days of Phase 1, I have lost 5 lbs, I'm going to do phase 1 for another 5 days then go to phase 2,my blood sugars are improved although my morning fasting I cannot get below 7 for love nor money!!

I wont lie the first 5 days of pritein only is tough but it recommends no more than 7 days but after that I dont think I'm cutting out much more than I would have had to anyway.

I'm still on 4x500 metformin SR a day as I dont want to reduce those without medical supervision but for me its the only diet I've found that I can lose weight on.

Mrs Dx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been doing this diet for a couple of weeks now. The constipation (for me) is pretty bad at times. The wight loss is real, though.

Prior to this I had done Atkins, and got on pretty well, but I believe the fat I was eating wasn't doing me any favours. The principles of Dukan are pretty good (Protein Thursdays, Celebration meals, Pleant of water, etc...) but I find sticking to a diet with NO FAT really difficult. I'm hungry ALL the time (compare this to Atkins when I was NEVER hungry!).

BG are definitely down, though - and I had my first reading in th e5's for bloody ages last week!!!

KMaria

I read some articles about it and I guess it is true that this diet is not diabetic friendly. you can read an article about dukan diet here: http://www.mac-expo.co.uk/