HBA1C in the morning

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at the beginning of October as Type 2 diabetic. I am going for my three month blood test tomorrow. Eeeek! At diagnosis I was 18.8.

I shouldn't be concerned as my levels are good, for example pre dinner they are in the mid 4's and post dinner they are top end 5's on average. So I think I will be ok. But I keep worrying that my home tests may not relate to what I get from the HBA1C. I was offered Metformin at my first appointment but turned it down in favour of giving LCHF a go. I like it, it is keeping my numbers down and I am losing weight.

Last edited:

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck tomorrow, and if your test includes cholesterol levels (as it should do) then don't forget to fast for it. The HbA1c doesn't require fasting, but the cholesterol (triglycerides) may be skewed and higher if you have eaten.

Thank you. I am a real scaredy cat, I take the auld feller with me for moral support :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing really well. Hope result is really good. I also stress for no reason when visiting nurse or GP.

Reactions: Pogel

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the results from my HBA1C I had on Friday. From 18.8 in October to 5.7 now. The Dr asked me to have another one in a month as he couldn't believe that it had changed so significantly. Not sure I am bothered to be honest. I am pleased with the result.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the results from my HBA1C I had on Friday. From 13.8 in October to 5.7 now. The Dr asked me to have another one in a month as he couldn't believe that it had changed so significantly. Not sure I am bothered to be honest. I am pleased with the result.

Pogel, I'd go and have it done. It may stimulate an interesting discussion around how you achieved it. Education is a two-way street.

Very well done on your reduction. You should be proud.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So you should be - well done - at least you have a doctor who wants to check up with you - mine isn't in the least bit interested - I have got 'no further action' on my notes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had the results from my HBA1C I had on Friday. From 13.8 in October to 5.7 now. The Dr asked me to have another one in a month as he couldn't believe that it had changed so significantly. Not sure I am bothered to be honest. I am pleased with the result.
very well done indeed..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow, that's a great result.

Reactions: Prem51 and Pogel

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result. Well done. I would agree with others that if GP wants a retest in a month it might be good to go for it. It could well be even lower next time as long as you can stick to your present good control.

Reactions: Pogel

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all here on the forum. My family have been so supportive of me and my complete turn around in my eating habits and exercise. But I could not have done this if it wasn't for the expertise I have gained from this forum. I thank you all.