Type 1: Exercise 1 hour after short acting insulin

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, i want to go to a gym(pilates sessions) but the times of sessions are very close to meals. So there is a big danger of strong hypos. How should i adjust the dosage? Is there any general rule for this situation? Thanks a lot.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You could start by halving the dose (if on basal/bolus) and see how you get on bg wise, but a better option would be to eat after you've been to the gym sessions, that's what I would do @nikobasi if it wasn't too inconvenient.

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could start by halving the dose (if on basal/bolus) and see how you get on bg wise, but a better option would be to eat after you've been to the gym sessions, that's what I would do @nikobasi if it wasn't too inconvenient.
Yeah but still i would be in the range of novoapid peak and i know from experience that if i do exercise in that time i would be in trouble. I always did exercise three hours before/after meal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah but still i would be in the range of novoapid peak and i know from experience that if i do exercise in that time i would be in trouble. I always did exercise three hours before/after meal.

See I'm fine at 3 hours but extremely sensitive up to the 2 hour mark.

As said you could reduce your bolus dose by half and see how you get on from there, but in the absense of any more replies have a look at Runsweet as it was set-up for type 1's who enjoy exercise & sports:

http://www.runsweet.com/

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
See I'm fine at 3 hours but extremely sensitive up to the 2 hour mark.

As said you could reduce your bolus dose by half and see how you get on from there, but in the absense of any more replies have a look at Runsweet as it was set-up for type 1's who enjoy exercise & sports:

http://www.runsweet.com/
I am sorry i did not see the halfing the dosage. Thanks for the tip!

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I workout too about an hour after my last insulin shot. I usually take insulin 15 minutes before a meal but when i'm on a workout day i take it right before the meal, i have a slightly higher value when i start working out that way. I also tend to eat a bit more carbs (sometimes i add a slice of bread or something like that). After the workout i usually have to take 1.5 units of insulin with my post workout meal to remain stable. Though on occasions i do still spike a bit much later on. Since i only have 5 hours between finishing work and going to bed, i really need to cram a lot in that time to workout so sometimes my values aren't ideal. That said testing regularly both before and after makes for a better understanding of where my BG will go. The freestyle libre has helped me a lot more in that aspect but generally just testing and testing especially the first couple of weeks is a big help.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*Wrong topic .... *

<--- needs sleep :D

Last edited: