Type 1: Do you get headache on bg level 103 ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

do you get headache,when the bg level is 103 ? today evening i started to get headache, when i checked my blood glucose, it was 103.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
no, but if you are not used to normal levels of blood glucose then maybe one could get a headace... the body could maybe sometimes consider it "normal" on what is the most usual level, but not the most healthy anyways, like when people experieces "false hypos" then they feel bad even when having the ideal level of blood glucose as the dip is too big from what the body is unfortunately used to be at...

I think the headace can be from a million of different reasons, like unbalance in ones electrolytes ..or from a foodstylle with too little or too many vitamins and minerals and so on... but if you have done or eaten nothing different from what you usually do , then maybe your body is just reacting to not being used to normal glucose levels. but only you would know about that

Last edited:

dipsydo

If you do not take on enough water you can get a headache particularly with low carb . I find I have to make myself drink and if I have a headache I will drink a bit more to see if it resolves it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If using the low carbohydrate ketogenic diet, headache can be due to needing more sodium or dehydration as dipsydo suggested. When I occasionally wait 5 - 7 hours during the day before eating again, my glucose level drops lower than normal and I sometimes get a mild headache. To avoid that problem, I'll eat some raw nuts within 3 - 4 hours of my last meal (if I know I'm going to delay my next meal), but I have type 2 diabetes, not type 1.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do not take on enough water you can get a headache particularly with low carb . I find I have to make myself drink and if I have a headache I will drink a bit more to see if it resolves it.

I hope this might be the reason. I took less water with low carb food.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
headaches happen on a regular basis due to genes probably, but thats only triggered when my blood sugar is between 4 mmol/l and 10 mmol/l, if its above that I never get headaches, hence the motivation to have a consistently above 10 blood sugar because headaches are the worst pain i could ever experience

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

do you get headache,when the bg level is 103 ? today evening i started to get headache, when i checked my blood glucose, it was 103.

No, I dont. I find headaches are most likely due to dehydration, eye strain or stress personally. But it's always sensible to,test your blood sugar.

Reactions: Chandradev819

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
headaches happen on a regular basis due to genes probably, but thats only triggered when my blood sugar is between 4 mmol/l and 10 mmol/l, if its above that I never get headaches, hence the motivation to have a consistently above 10 blood sugar because headaches are the worst pain i could ever experience

I wonder @nmr1991 if you eliminated gluten from your diet for 30 days if that might give you relief from your headaches.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder @nmr1991 if you eliminated gluten from your diet for 30 days if that might give you relief from your headaches.
Can't really afford to go on a gluten-free diet seeing as when I look through the gluten free aisle at the supermarket it is noticeably more expensive than the gluten counterpart. Although you didn't ask me to look at gluten-free foods that would otherwise be full of gluten, it's hard to see what else I would eat apart from such foods since I have a repulsion against certain foods like eggs, nuts, cheese, alot of meat products.

My diet would usually consist of: junk food (chocolate biscuits, diet carbonated drinks, crisps, rolls/pastries, milkshakes (source of calcium, but high in sugar), desserts, microwave dinners), "proper" food (sparkling flavoured water, meat pies, cheese snacks (rarely), pepperami sticks (main source of protein), buns w/ slices of ham and low fat butter, instant soup/tinned soup, stick of celery (occasional), prepared food (oven cooking), skimmed milk(low in fat as taking statins))

I would ask a nutritionist but they take at least 3 months to book an appointment and in my experience their advice didn't help in the past as it mostly applied to type 2 diabetics.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nmr1991 Thank you for being so frank in your response. I totally get where you're coming from. Given your current diet, going from your current diet to a gluten-free diet would be very challenging. I know, as I did exactly that in 2011. It was hard, really hard. After a couple of weeks I was ready to give up. Lucky for me, we had a gluten-free support group locally and the group's facilitator hooked my up with a gluten-free baker, which made the impossible more possible. ;)

For you, I'd definitely encourage you to make some other small changes prior to going gluten free for 30 days (to see if you feel better). And yes, gluten-free foods are more expensive, and processed, so better used as a transition food.

If you'd like to continue this conversation at any point, tag me on the gluten-free forum, and I'll come over and offer ideas to consider, perhaps even try... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/gluten-free-forum.72/ :)