Physical effects of blood sugar levels

PickledPepper

This is mainly directed to the more experienced testers.

I was just wondering if being above/below desired blood sugar levels is always noticeable physically?

As some of you are aware, I've just been diagnosed but haven't seen the nurse. Although I am watching my diet a lot more carefully now, and feel infinitely better than I did a week or so ago, I still don't know the actual sugar count in my body.

How much does feeling 'okay' indicate good levels? When you test, can you feel the same if you are at your preferred level as when you are at an elevated level (say 7/8ish).

My point is that "can I be feeling relatively okay but still be damaging my body?"

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Don't know how much experience counts as 'experienced' but the short answer is “Yes”. Anything over 7 is potentially harmful.

You can’t really feel the difference at that level so if you don’t test you can’t know what your food is doing to your body. :roll:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Whether you are having high blood glucose levels (Hyperglycaemia) or low blood Glucose levels (Hyperglycaemia) both have effects on your body and on your Diabetes. You should try to stay within your target levels at all times. The odd 'blip' doesn't matter too much.

However if you consistently remain at high levels then this can have serious consequences increasing the risk of Diabetic complications, Neuropathy, Retinopathy etc something we should all try and avoid. Whilst you may 'feel' Ok, it is a silent killer......so make sure you are testing and know what the levels are. It is best to remain on target at all times. This will give you a better quality of life and prevent those complications developing.

Hypoglycaemia is also damaging and it's effects can be extremely debilitating. Therefore the maxim
'4 is the floor' should be remembered, drop below that and you are in hypo land.......not a pleasant place to be. Check out the symptoms, they are not pleasant I can assure you. Some people have poor hypo awareness and don't realise they are low. That is called hypo unawareness. There is some considerable thought that consistent low levels affect the brain, especially in young children. As I know when very low my actions are frequently confused or clumsy, therefore I am one who subscribes to this theory. That would obviously be extremely dangerous if driving or operating machinery.

Ken

PickledPepper

Synonym and Cugila

Thank you ever so much!!!!

I guess I can't really tell what is going on until I get a tester, no matter how I feel. Nurse appointment is next week - will try and get her to give me one (tester that is).

It is sad that these things aren't available on the NHS.

Oh what I would do to have a glass of Ribena!

Dal1970

Not sure where you are, but testers are available on the NHS for Type 2 diabetes.

I was diagnosed and a week after starting on the Metformin I asked the nurse for a tester. She gave me one and a prescription for test strips and lancets.

Ask and insist on having them provided - this is your heath, so don't take no for an answer.

Alternatively, they are less than £10 to buy...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Folks
In my area, you can insist until you are blue in the face. They might treat you for cyanosis, but WON'T give you blood testing gear on prescription. They truly believe that it's not necessary and will not bend on this. They will not spend money to save later on freedom from complications. I'm going to yet another meeting about it next week.
I personally don't feel blood glucose changes. I do keep in a tight range, so perhaps my changes aren't enough to feel. I run from about 4.7 to 5.9 in the course of most days.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
hanadr said:
Folks
In my area, you can insist until you are blue in the face. They might treat you for cyanosis, but WON'T give you blood testing gear on prescription. They truly believe that it's not necessary and will not bend on this. They will not spend money to save later on freedom from complications. I'm going to yet another meeting about it next week. Hana

There is no forward planning since the health service is now operating on the 'fire engine principle' and the future is going to be someone else's concern. The current planners and budgetters will be enjoying their pensions by the time you are experiencing the problems that they have ensured you cannot avoid! :evil: :roll:

Glad to hear that you are working to change the situation, all power to your elbow!! :D

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
as an aside, sugar free Ribena is really nice and better for your teeth :D I know some people think it's not as good as the real sugar stuff, but personally, I can't tell the difference :wink:

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Having not tested my bg it has now been discovered that I have kidney damage....so thanks to the decisions by any health authority.

PickledPepper

Okay, I've realised, when the levels go high, I feel sleepy and often a strange 'pressure' in my limbs especially hands/lower arms.

But sometimes I feel like this and randomly test to find that I am not high.

C

catherinecherub

cavelioness said:
Having not tested my bg it has now been discovered that I have kidney damage....so thanks to the decisions by any health authority.

Sorry to hear the news Cavelioness. How did your G.P. respond to this news?

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
catherinecherub said:
cavelioness said:

Sorry to hear the news Cavelioness. How did your G.P. respond to this news?

Saw the doc last week he said 'Havent got time to go down the blame route' and put me on meds of Ramipril 2.5mg 1 a night. Today a letter through the door have to make an appointment with the hospital.