Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi,
Please does anyone have any experience of taking olive oil as a way of getting blood sugar levels down? Thanks

Nope!

If I need to lower them I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water, diluted to taste. And some moderate exercise. Be warned, it can lower them very quickly, so do need to keep an eye on the level. And I'd imagine it could lower even quicker if insulin has been used.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We have lived in Qld since leaving the UK in1970 and Bundaberg since 1992 I think, we have passed through Sydney a few times going elsewhere, never have had a look around at any of the great restaurants that are there tho'.

You really must check out Sydney's restaurants. The Darling Harbour revamp is gorgeous, as I remember from a decade or more ago, and the food is just delicious. Very customer-oriented, so you can hold the bun or rice or noodles with no prob. Just ask for extra veg.

Reactions: Tophat1900

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes but there's a bigger picture to be brought into balance. You have one small part of something much larger in body metabolism.

The short (and highly generalized) story is: Reduce blood sugar by eliminating sugar from your diet. AND there's more: reduce blood sugar further by eliminating refined carbohydrates. This is the single biggest thing you can do to bring down blood sugar. Keep good carbs like leafy vegetables in your diet, mostly eliminate fruits and reduce root veggies. Next increase good fats (like olive oil) and many others. Walk briskly 30 minutes once or twice a day without fail!!!! This burns off the stored glucose in your body's cells (80% muscle, 20% liver) so that more glucose can be absorbed out of your bloodstream. As glucose levels drop the pancreas stops producing insulin (which means the "store glucose as fat" command from the pancreas stops). Believe me your pancreas can use the break. At that point fat is requested from storage in fat cells and your liver can start converting fats to glucose. AND, as an added bonus, the fat starts dissolving in the liver and it finally begins to unclog so it can do its job better (to store and release glucose on demand). After weeks or months the body shifts from a dependency on burning primarily glucose to burning both fat and glucose. That's healthy, the way it was meant to be.

The cells in the body were designed to burn fat or glucose, so you need to burn both to let your body give itself a long needed tune up. BUT Wait. You're not finished. You MUST FAST for 12 hours each day. Most people fast typically at night while they're sleeping and have never thought about it. During the day the liver and body's cells will store glucose from the food you eat and digest. This reverses at night such that the liver slowly releases it's stores of glucose until it is depleted before breakfast they next morning. Your liver loves this charge/discharge cycle because it's doing what it loves best. It is much happier not having sugar constantly forced down it's throat 24/7. And very important is 7-8 hours sleep. This is the third critical ingredient. The right diet, regular activity, adequate sleep.

So, to answer your question, olive oil is a great oil for reducing glucose when taken together with everything else. By itself not very helpful. Everything I've looked into convinces me that olive oil is many, many times better than any other oil out there. For example look at the omega 3/6 balance as compared to all other oils. It is wonderful stuff for good health.

Olive oil by itself will not reduce glucose (blood sugar). But eliminating all carbs will reduce blood sugar since carbs are many sugar molecules strung end-to-end that break apart when digested.

BTW: Please forgive me for taking so many liberties with a complex subject.

You've made some great points here. Love this: The right diet, regular activity, adequate sleep.

I don't think olive oil or 12 hour's fasting are the answer to every health problem, but they certainly don't hurt. I use both and feel better for it, others may have a different view.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but there's a bigger picture to be brought into balance. You have one small part of something much larger in body metabolism.

The short (and highly generalized) story is: Reduce blood sugar by eliminating sugar from your diet. AND there's more: reduce blood sugar further by eliminating refined carbohydrates. This is the single biggest thing you can do to bring down blood sugar. Keep good carbs like leafy vegetables in your diet, mostly eliminate fruits and reduce root veggies. Next increase good fats (like olive oil) and many others. Walk briskly 30 minutes once or twice a day without fail!!!! This burns off the stored glucose in your body's cells (80% muscle, 20% liver) so that more glucose can be absorbed out of your bloodstream. As glucose levels drop the pancreas stops producing insulin (which means the "store glucose as fat" command from the pancreas stops). Believe me your pancreas can use the break. At that point fat is requested from storage in fat cells and your liver can start converting fats to glucose. AND, as an added bonus, the fat starts dissolving in the liver and it finally begins to unclog so it can do its job better (to store and release glucose on demand). After weeks or months the body shifts from a dependency on burning primarily glucose to burning both fat and glucose. That's healthy, the way it was meant to be.

The cells in the body were designed to burn fat or glucose, so you need to burn both to let your body give itself a long needed tune up. BUT Wait. You're not finished. You MUST FAST for 12 hours each day. Most people fast typically at night while they're sleeping and have never thought about it. During the day the liver and body's cells will store glucose from the food you eat and digest. This reverses at night such that the liver slowly releases it's stores of glucose until it is depleted before breakfast they next morning. Your liver loves this charge/discharge cycle because it's doing what it loves best. It is much happier not having sugar constantly forced down it's throat 24/7. And very important is 7-8 hours sleep. This is the third critical ingredient. The right diet, regular activity, adequate sleep.

So, to answer your question, olive oil is a great oil for reducing glucose when taken together with everything else. By itself not very helpful. Everything I've looked into convinces me that olive oil is many, many times better than any other oil out there. For example look at the omega 3/6 balance as compared to all other oils. It is wonderful stuff for good health.

Olive oil by itself will not reduce glucose (blood sugar). But eliminating all carbs will reduce blood sugar since carbs are many sugar molecules strung end-to-end that break apart when digested.

BTW: Please forgive me for taking so many liberties with a complex subject.
these r so good to know, thanks for taking your time explaining it to us !

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I was being a bit sarcastic.

I've been visiting the Diabetes UK site and the level of ignorance on there is astonishing. Not even A level Biology teaching from 50 years ago is accepted as fact, so I was feeling a bit riled. I probably never got enough gold and silver stars on my efforts when in junior school and have been feeling resentful ever since.

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is great on salad, mix with a wine vinegar - watch out for ones with high sugar content though - just put equal mounts in a bottle and give a good shake before using it.
I'm afraid that the only way for a type 2 to lower blood sugar is to eat fewer carbs. There is no magic foodstuff which is going to remove the glucose you simply have to have less carbohydrate going in and getting stacked up in your bloodstream.

Reactions: Mimi's