X-ray and insulin

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thoughts? Met many airport security people who insists that insulin should be put through x-ray even though the x-ray machine doesn't check anything in the insulin.

"Manufacturers indicate that, ideally, insulin should not be exposed to x-rays during travel and that it be inspected manually whenever possible; however, the security scanners used at screening will not normally damage your insulin. If baggage remains in the path of the security scanner for longer than normal or if baggage is repeatedly x-rayed, the insulin may lose potency."

Under normal conditions, insulin can safely pass through X-ray machines at airport terminals. If you have concerns about X-rays, you can request hand inspection. - See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...can-i-bring-with-me.html#sthash.bsEKJk5N.dpuf

Reactions: RickV

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every time I have flown I have just kicked my pens and refills through the xray machine with no ill effects.

Never noticed any drop in efficacy of the insulin so I guess it shouldn't really be a concern.

I believe that under no circumstances should you put a pump through an xray machine but I could be wrong there.

/A

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would if I don't fly so much. I am clocking about 15 flights a month so that's about 7 x ray's per pen. Not sure if I need to be concerned.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would if I don't fly so much. I am clocking about 15 flights a month so that's about 7 x ray's per pen. Not sure if I need to be concerned.

That's about what I do in a given month (ironically im on a flight right now as a matter of fact).

Personally, I don't worry about it in the slightest bit. I'm convinced it's something the manufacturer's throw in there to avoid any sort of a lawsuit. I have yet to see any convincing evidence to suggest it's a legitimate concern.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Why on earth are the insulin manufacturers, pump manufacturers and airport security companies not talking and getting this sorted. Air travel is not new. Surely they can spend a little bit of time to just definitively prove one way or another whether or not it is safe, and releasing a factual statement, rather than a catch-all/cover-all protect-themselves ambiguous statement that leaves everyone in perpetual confusion and doubt. I have been using a convection cooker (the latest re-incarnation of caution) for over 12 months whilst wearing my pump, I have flown many times and on a few occasions early on mistakenly accepted the instruction to walk through the body scanners with the pump and my insulin has gone through x-rays for the last 30 years without question! I find it shocking that even now, Animas are unwilling/unable to give a definitive answer. Surely this should boil down to a binary statement on whether or not insulin and pumps can go through airport security?

Reactions: RickV
M

ME_Valentijn

Surely they can spend a little bit of time to just definitively prove one way or another whether or not it is safe, and releasing a factual statement, rather than a catch-all/cover-all protect-themselves ambiguous statement that leaves everyone in perpetual confusion and doubt.
Sure they could. But conducting the research would cost money too, with no profit from it for them. Insulin-dependent diabetics need to buy their product regardless. Why bother when they have a captive market? :p

Reactions: tinyfilosofer

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Usually my biz travels are very tight on time. If the insulin is damaged and i need to replace - and it's not like I can buy it at pharmacies - it will really be terrible.
If it is definitive that nothing will happen to it then the "cover all" statement is misleading.
I find Travelling in Asia a lot easier than Europe. The custom officers in Asia rather keep the patient safe as I think in Asia we are less trusting of companies claiming everything is safe. Less faith in authorities.
Been through so many customs in Asia where they smile and told me it's ok, does a visual inspection for me and wipe with explosive detector.
Usually they are kind. Unlike custom officers in Europe who shout and treat one like a criminal. That said, why are all Travellers treated like criminals? Most of us aren't. Just want to get from one place to another.