DN appointment

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was dreading the appointment because she was the first DN (there are two nurses at my practice) I saw when diagnosed who told me that LCHF was dangerous blah blah blah. I, of course, ignored that advice. Well this morning she was all smiles and asked how I did it, I told her LCHealthy fats, didn't want to completely freak her out, I was, again, told to watch the fats as it would affect my cholesterol. We had a discussion about cholesterol levels and eventually she gave up. Talked about BP levels, told her that until my thyroid was treated properly my BP levels would be raised. Again she gave up.

I am the only patient with a good diabetic level (41) and good weight loss (13.1-8.10) Told her that promoting the 'Eat Well plate' was completely wrong. Next appointment will be July for full blood tests and if all is well then I will be seen yearly. Have stopped taking Metformin. If anybody could give me any scientific data towards Metformin and the heart I would be grateful (can only find conflicting reports).

I am a happy bunny.
Carol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well done.
Fats have affected my cholesterol - they have lowered it and my ratio is 4 - but although I think that is considered good, no one wants to talk about it at the clinic.
I am sure that my heart is feeling better about working harder since diagnosis, and it has improved recently as I am trying it more now it doesn't thump so hard against my ribs - but it will have to do without Metformin, unless I happen to require that most effective laxative effect.
We are told that taking the tablets is good for us, but I am becoming really rather cynical about quite a few things.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @carol43
I use the phrase "I restrict the carbs my body can't cope with" and GP, nurse and dietitian all seemed happy with that. I only got set to a dietitian as I had lost weight and GP thought I was malnourished but was told my diet was good.