Type 2 Gym Help

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally I am joining a gym tonight. Can anyone provide some advice...
Is all exercise good or something better for type 2?
What's your pre and post work out meal?
I'm 35 so want to push myself.

Any help or advice is welcome.

Thanks

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Excercise helps a lot, its great u decided to start working out ! :) I find that easy excercises, jogs help me keep my BG normal, drop it a bit if it went some above appropriate, but heavy exercises just cause me a mess. Instant hypo then few hrs later my BG is higher than ever. Im still a rookie, but thats what i noticed so far in 3 months. (T1)

forgot to mention, i usually exercise a little after dinner, i have more carbs for evening meal and no more food until next morning unless i get low BG results before going to bed.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Endurence training lowers ones blood glucose the most emidiately unless one has some stress problems with a higher cortizol , Then This can force the liver to produce even more glucose from ones eaten proteins . On the other hand resistance training like weight lifting will build more muscle mass which is good for creating a better storing of ones glucose = lowering blood glucose/ lesser insuline resistance.
So I would recomend you to have a two legged strategy and do both kinds of excercise

Getting ones muscles in optimal shape and condition can lower insuline resistance with as much as 30% on the long run, so go for it But on your way do eat lower carb. As a type 2 it is more seldome to get too low But keep an eye on that too some do get low, I never do not even when excercising for more than 5 hours like I did today .

If you get low like in the low 4's Then do eat some carbs But not too much before excercising and maybe during your excercise but maybe not more than like 10-20 grams when you excercise for more than 90 minutes.

I you would like to burn the most fat Then it can be a good idea to excercise fasting or on only some bullet proof coffee But in that matter a lot of other persons in here knows much more than I do ....
Good luck with it all looking forward to hear more of your journey

Last edited:
Reactions: Angelofthemarches

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise is great. I think we all react differently though. I can powerwalk for up to 45 mins and it will lower my BG. Over that time and it starts to rise again.
Dancing for 3 hours sends it really high (for me) but if I take a few almonds to snack on it stays in normal range.
Good that you have a meter so you can test your own reactions

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a mix of cardio and weights. Started with a light cycle to get me warm. Then 3000 meter row. Then some of the weight machines in the gym, mostly for working out arms, chest and shoulders. Finished with a 10 min brisk walk. Then sat in the Jacuzzi for 5 mins and sauna for 3 mins.
Must say after I was feeling pretty light and was bloody starving. I'm sure what I ate after wasn't great, but I am really curious how this all effects me.
Now questioning if I could do this more regularly, could I possibly come off the metformin (1 pill twice a day)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't take any medication for my T2. My a1c is 5.9
I do weights 3 times a week, walk my dog late in afternoon for around 50mins and some light bike peddling on an exercise bike between meals. I eat 3 times a day, on a weights day I'll eat a small snack post workout, but nothing major. It's a routine, it's an effective way to decrease insulin resistance. Which should be your goal.

You don't need to go ballistic every workout, just get into a routine. I do my weights about 1 - 2 hrs post meal, depending on how I feel. There is enough food (Protein and carb content) to support a workout in that meal before weights. You don't need to load up on protein powders.

My routines are about 40 mins in duration. I do increase protein and carb intake around the workout... remembering protein also raises bg levels, but that's to allow for the workout and also to partly support post workout because I don't want to be hungry at a time when I've already eaten only 2 to 3 hrs earlier.

Exercise is a great tool for decreasing insulin resistance, but when used with diabetic drugs you will have to be careful to avoid hypos. So monitoring levels will be important until you get into a steady routine and things settle down. If you get it right, takes some time, then yeah, you could well be off metformin.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for all the replies. Really helps. Last night was the first time I went to the gym since being diagnosed. Lots of things to learn.

Totally messed up after though, ate too much and bad stuff and got myself up to 11.2 and then this morning pre breakfast was 7.2. Little disappointed with myself for doing that but still learning.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was always my problem with the gym..felt great and hungry after work out so thought "I've just worked out so can eat any ****.. I have earned it".
Certainly aided my progress towards Type 2. Thinking of joining again though but will have to be far stricter on myself now.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well, then I might just need to take chicken with me for a snack after or something like that. All I know is I need to not eat the **** I ate last night!

Protein powder will spike BG, in particular, whey protein. Even the lactose free version which is whey protein isolate. A typical shake with this in it is 30g of protein.You can make your own, use eggs, eggs contain all the essential amino acids and vitamins and minerals with none of the **** additives found in the high majority of protein powders.

Out of curiosity, what did you eat? Sounds like you went to a buffet or something... lol

dazzeur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Embarrassed to admit...it was late and I craved everything.
I ate a chicken fillet burger, a mango, an orange and an oatmeal raisin cookie. Even eating it I knew was bad. But I stopped feeling low and like I was going to pass out!

Been really good today though :)

Paul_hocking

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks
I'm the same I do 4 sessions a week and my training program is provided by one of the instructors
My program is
6 min warm up any cardio low resistance
3 miles on treadmill incline 2.0 run at 6.0 for 3 min then rest at 3.0 for 1 min and then log time to complete
Or
First to 2000 metres on the rowing machine full resistance
I swap between those two each time

And then I have some weight traning ever flys or dips in 3 sets of 6 reps at 35 kg / 30 kg / 20kg and repeat 3 times
Then I do 3 sets on a leg press at 95kg / 85kg / 75kg
I have two different resistance training sets that I swap to keep it from getting boring

The only thing that stays the same is
7x 30sec High Intesity Sesions on a spin bike 2 full turns 1 minute at good pace then 30 secs as fast as you can

Then 6 min cool down on cardio and stretches it took me 6 months to build up to this but it keeps my BG in check and should be dropping tablets this month was diagnosed in October st 121 now 61

Just keep it interesting and do what you can good luck.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein powder will spike BG, in particular, whey protein. Even the lactose free version which is whey protein isolate. A typical shake with this in it is 30g of protein.You can make your own, use eggs, eggs contain all the essential amino acids and vitamins and minerals with none of the **** additives found in the high majority of protein powders.

Out of curiosity, what did you eat? Sounds like you went to a buffet or something... lol
I'd be curious to hear your rationale on that one.

While it's true that many brands of protein powder do contain higher amounts of carbohydates, that's a separate issue from claiming that whey protein isolate would spike your blood sugar.

Low-carb versions of whey protein powder do exist and should not have any effect on your blood sugar levels when consumed in moderation. There are exceptions to that rule for people who have an inhibited pancreas alpha cell function (usually people who are type 1).

step_hen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks
take it easy dont forget every one is different for example if my glucose levels were down to 4.0 I would be surrounded by doctors and nurses being force fed biscuits and sugary tea

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed type 2 around a year ago I decided to control it with LCHF diet and exercise (no drugs). I joined 3 over 50 keep fit classes, walked a lot more and ate sensibly. I am now over 4 stone lighter and my diabetes is in remission. I feel great and still follow the above routine.
Do whatever exercise you enjoy and good luck.

Reactions: Larissima